Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - December 18, 2009 from Laredo, TX (#539)

TPIB

Venue
Laredo Entertainment Center (L.E.C.) in Laredo, TX

(SmackDown was taped following ECW on December 15)

Confirmed Matches/Events

NEW Intercontinental Champion Drew McIntyre To Appear

WWE TLC Fallout

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
nodq.com

WWE Friday Night SmackDown
Airing This Week

* Teddy Long opens SmackDown and talks about the #1 contendership to the World Title. Batista interrupts him then Rey Mysterio interrupts Batista. Mysterio vs. Batista for the #1 contender spot is made for tonight.

* CM Punk, Drew McIntyre and Luke Gallows defeat Matt Hardy, R-Truth and John Morrison in six-man action after Punk pinned Hardy.

* Segment with Mickie James, Maria and Beth Phoenix. Maria vs. Beth is made for tonight.

* Eric Escobar comes out and cuts a promo until Vickie Guerrero interrupts him. Kane vs. Eric Escobar is made for right now.

* Kane defeats Eric Escobar with a chokeslam. Vickie taunts Escobar after the match.

* Chris Jericho comes out and cuts a promo. The Great Khali comes out for a match with Jericho.

* The Great Khali beats Chris Jericho by count out. Jericho ran away when Khali came out to cause the count out. Khali dances to celebrate.

* The Hart Dynasty defeats Jimmy Wang Yang and Slam Master J with The Hart Attack. Smith hits a triply belly-to-belly in the match. They cut a promo on DX. DX vs. The Hart Dynasty is announced for the Christmas edition of SmackDown.

* Michelle McCool, Layla and Beth Phoenix cut a promo.

* Beth Phoenix defeats Maria.

* Rey Mysterio defeats Batista to become the new #1 contender to the World Heavyweight Title. Rey comes out to the biggest reaction of the night and gets the win with a rollup.
Dark Matches

* Goldust defeats an unknown star with his finisher.

* Batista is left in the ring when the lights go out and The Undertaker appears. Taker defeats Batista with the Tombstone to send everyone home happy.

DC

I like the sound of Undertaker v Rey, but have a feeling interference from Batista is a given.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
If they waste DX VS The Hart Dynasty without doing something EPIC imma be p*ssed.

Cathal

They already did DX vs. Hart Dynasty a few weeks ago on Raw, DX beat them clean in 2 minutes.

Dante Spears

Well let's try to forget about that shall we, lest we want Hart Dynasty to turn into the next Evan Bourne, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, and everyone else the WWE has killed this year

LilThj

Rey v undertaker sounds sweet to bad batista will ruin it and I guess the hart dynasty will be the next team DX will destroy

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Well let's try to forget about that shall we, lest we want Hart Dynasty to turn into the next Evan Bourne, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, and everyone else the WWE has killed this year
Well, they've got a week to age 20 years and put on 100lbs then.

Jimmy Redman

Have Rey and Taker ever wrestled before? I'm assuming that they've had a random Smackdown TV match at some point, but I cant recall anything from the past few years at least. Should be fun.

As for this, Rey v Batista was AWESOME. Really awesomely fun match. Rey was hugely over too, which helped, they had a LONG Smackdown main event, and they were both just so great. The last 5 or so minutes in particular, with all the nearfalls was just great. They kept mentioning that Batista could get DQ'd or counted out way too much, which scared the sh*t out of me because sh*tty finishes in No. 1 Contenders matches are the bane of my life, but thankfully they had the sense to put him over clean. Oh, and my father, a very skeptical non-fan, went from "LOL how can Rey beat Batista?" to "Woah, that was spectacular" in the space of about 10 minutes. I love wrestling.

Beth Phoenix is the greatest woman in the world this week. Well, since Layla on Raw. But Beth is awesome, bullying Mickie and Maria one minute, to telling Michelle and Layla to STFU the next, then murdering Maria the next. This woman is going to make a fantastic babyface.

Speaking of great women, Nattie slamming Jesse was awesome, they totally need to involve her like that more often. The match itself was short but great, Jesse and Jimmy Yang make a great high-flying team, and the Harts are great.

The 6-man tag was fun, and the rest of the show was fine as well. Jericho about to cry was awesome.

Striker, however, is still f*cking annoying, and starting to really detract from shows, like Foley used to do. He spent the entire 6-man talking absolute bollocking SH*T. He'd argue with Todd constantly for the sake of it, he randomly spouts these alliterating catchphrases that make NO SENSE ("Here comes the serenity of R-Truth!" What the f*ck?! What the f*ck is serene about R-Truth punching a dude?), and at one point he just started rattling off these lines from the Bible and I had absolutely no idea what the f*ck he was on about. Also, and I never thought I'd say this, but he's a really sh*tty heel. Jerry Lawler he is not. Just call the God damn f*cking match, asshole.

Gah.

I'm also extremely unhappy about this Christmas show next week. Its Christmas freaking Day. Instead of being sensible, realising that since its CHRISTMAS DAY people wont bother watching, and playing a clip show or a 'Best of 2009' or whatever, they apparently make this big effort for ratings (on a network which has given up on ratings and isnt even listed) with a one-week build for Rey/Taker and DX/Harts, which wont make a difference because people will not excuse themselves from CHRISTMAS to watch Smackdown. So you're just wasting two big matches with no build for no reason.

Oh, AND, The Harts cut this promo saying that they'd get "revenge" on DX after a decade, and judging by the complete lack of reaction I'd say a LOT of people thought "What on EARTH did DX do to Tyson and Harry ten years ago?!" Which again goes back to my point about Bret: if you assume people will follow this without an explanation, its going to die a death.

Last edited:

DC

Watching the show now and I'm wondering if The Hart Dynasty's new t-shirt slogan (Better than the best... period) is an intentional and subtle dig at Bret Hart. In the same match, Tyson climbing to the second rope and timing DH Smith's delayed suplex was a beautiful little spot. It's little things that make the whole package work and this was such a small, but perfect, little moment.

Jimmy Redman

Watching the show now and I'm wondering if The Hart Dynasty's new t-shirt slogan (Better than the best... period) is an intentional and subtle dig at Bret Hart.
If you wait 10 minutes and listen to the promo, you'll probably agree that yes, yes it is.