Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 5th September 2008

What Did You Think of SmackDown #473?

• Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

• Very Poor

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Scottrade Center - St Louis, Missouri

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: The CW at 8/7c

A horror-able Trap
5th September 2008

Following Undertaker’s renewed proclamation that he would be coming for SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero's soul and that she would burn in hell, his horrified prey found herself trapped in her own office Friday night. As the lights went out to the sound of her bloodcurdling screams, the WWE Universe was left in a shroud of uncertainty. What terrible fate has befallen Guerrero?

After gaining momentum toward the upcoming WWE Championship Scramble Match by overcoming United States Champion Shelton Benjamin in a hard fought Champion vs. Champion Match, an exhausted Triple H was laid to waste by The Great Khali. Will The Game be able to focus on Unforgiven and the four challengers to his gold with The Punjabi Giant standing in his way?

Maryse is on a mission. After teaming with Natalya to defeat Divas Champion Michelle McCool and her partner, Maria, a crazed Maryse initiated a knockdown brawl with the unsuspecting title holder. Will the sultry Diva's aggression bring her the Divas Championship opportunity she feels she deserves?

Although Jeff Hardy defeated MVP in an intense SummerSlam Rematch, it was fellow WWE Championship Scramble Match opponent, Shelton Benjamin, who had the final word, delivering Pay Dirt to both The Legend Thriller and The Ballin' Superstar. Will this be a prelude to Unforgiven, as the Gold Standard attempts to accrue even more championship gold?

For the second week in a row, Big Show displayed his immense displeasure about being overlooked for the WWE Championship Scramble Match, wrecking havoc during non-title action between WWE Tag Team Champions Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder and Jesse & Festus. How long will SmackDown Superstars continue to suffer the fury of the very disgruntled World's Largest Athlete?

Find out the answers to these questions and more on SmackDown this Friday night at 10pm on Sky Sports 3. And, don’t miss all three unprecedented Championship Scramble Matches at Unforgiven this coming Sunday!

Black Knight

WWE SmackDown:

* Triple H opens SmackDown with an Unforgiven promo. Shelton Benjamin comes out and interrupts saying that he plans on adding a little more gold to his collection. MVP comes out and says he is better than everyone and Shelton is more like fools gold. Brian Kendrick comes out and attacks Hunter from behind. MVP and Shelton Benjamin join in on the attack until Jeff Hardy comes out for the save.

* R-Truth b. Bam Neely
- Killings comes out through the crowd rapping. Chavo was at ringside with Neely.

* The Undertaker comes out. He cuts a promo about Vickie’s dead lifeless body and burning flesh. He says she can join her husband Edge in hell.

* Shelton Benjamin b. MVP
- Shelton got the win via pinfall.

* Maryse b. Maria
- After the match Michelle McCool comes out and stares down Maryse.

* Brian Kendrick b. Jeff Hardy
- Kendrick got the win after interference from Ezekiel Jackson.

* Super Crazy b. Ryan Braddock
- After the match Vladimir Kozlov comes out and attacks Super Crazy. He then talks about not having any competition. Big Show comes out to the ring.

* Big Show vs. Vladimir Kozlov
- Vickie comes out and says she will not allow for the match to happen. She demands that the Big Show get out of the ring and go home or he will be fined and suspended.

Vickie is drawing so much heat you can’t hear what she is saying. She does however say that she will no longer let the Undertaker intimidate her. She will not allow it on SmackDown.

* Brie Bella b. Victoria
- Brie got the win via pinfall. She dominated throughout the match.

* Triple H b. The Great Khali in a lumber jack match
- Jeff Hardy, MVP, Brian Kendrick, and Shelton Benjamin are lumber jacks on the outside. Triple H gets the win via pinfall after a pedigree on Khali.

Last edited:

The Beltster

As for the show, looks weak to me. I wonder if R-Truth will blow the roof off of the building like he did on his debut :lol:

Couldnt they have at least piped in some crowd noise or edited it in before they put the show in the can, I mean it was embarassing. There he was, dancing like a dork and nobody gave a toss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul

* Triple H b. The Great Khali in a lumber jack match
- Jeff Hardy, MVP, Brian Kendrick, and Shelton Benjamin are lumber jacks on the outside. Triple H gets the win via pinfall after a pedigree on Khali.
OK, I have heard 2 different endings to the show. One has Trips coming outside and pedigreeing all the lumberjacks, the other has Jeff congratulating the big nosed one and then hitting the Twist of Fate on HHH to end the show.

Both seem odd. Its either heelish Jeff or Trips on the selfish ship again.

Nemesis Enforcer

I have read those 2 endings too Darky, strangely both on PWInsider! if they were on different sites then I could understand it but why PWInsider is reporting both I have no idea

Danny Styles

maybe Hardy twist of fating HHH ends the show but HHH pedigreeing everyone else was for the audience after?

Jimmy Redman

Strap yourselves in for a muscle-busting, butt-squeezing, fat-burning episode of Smackdown!

Before the Smackdown opening we get a video package of Vickie's doom of DOOM. As this technically means we open with Vickie, this is a very good thing. We need to get as much Vickie in now, while we still have the chance.

J.R. informs us that the main event is HHH v Khali in a Lumberjack Match, with obviously the PPV contenders being the Lumberjacks. 5 Lumberjacks, really? That will look really...empty.

Speaking of witches, HHH himself comes to the ring. It must be nice, having two different entrance themes. He goes on a huge lulzy, worked-shoot overload here. He reps "Joey Styles and his bunch of nerds at wwe.com.." and says many humourous things, as HHH does. The man of the hour, Shelton Benjamin himself, interrupts him and does a surprisingly good job, considering its Shelton speaking. MVP interrupts him, and does an understandably good job, considering its MVP speaking. They bicker until HHH interrupts them and says they're not following the PPV-build formula (HHH 'cuts a promo', heels interrupt, they attack him, he beats them up) which does accurately describe most HHH segments. He literally got a standing ovation for saying "this is a 'promo'" on TV. When HHH is the voice of the smart marks, something is not right. Anywho, Kendrick and Ezekiel come at HHH from behind. Ezekiel took his shirt off, and he looks HUGE. The four heels beatdown HHH, Jeff Hardy saves, they all fall down, Ezekiel saves, HHH chair shot to the back, Ezekiel raises an eyebrow and says "Oh no he DIDNT!", HHH sh*ts his pants, Kendrick grabs Zeke and leaves. HHH and Jeff in the ring to finish. Fun stuff.

R-Truth now. He raps his theme song as he walks through the crowd to the ring, and once he does this and the crowd cottons on to the idea of "Wassup", they start singing it. Overness. JR says "word" and I appreciate JR. Bam Neely? If they wanted to atone for last week's supposed f*ck up, why give him a useless big guy? Anywho, Truth dispatches Bam in a short while, in a better match than last week, looking a bit more sharper, with a better reaction. He dances a lot.

We announce Jeff v Kendrick and Shelton v MVP, which sounds positively orgasmic. Also, Vickie isnt coming (of course she isnt, she's been doomed!) but Taker is.

Speaking of which, here he is, the big guy. This is the first time I can ever recall them coming back from the break with Taker in the ring. Ever. No Taker entrance! He cuts a cool-ass promo about Vickie. He didnt kill her last week, it seems, just scared the sh*t out of her. In a (quite graphic) nutshell, he's going to Unforgiven to strangle Vickie, put her in a coffin, set it on fire until she goes to hell. PG-13 indeed. So if the rumours are true, that explains Taker's presence at the PPV, and possibly even Vickie making the supposed match. The lights go out, they come back on, he's gone. Poof! That man is amazing!

Shelton v MVP now. Shelton cuts another titon-tron promo before coming out. Ahaha, coming to the ring they both look around, hilariously selling Taker Houdini, good stuff. They brawl quite nicely to start, MVP kills Shelton with the age-old 'walk up the ramp into sucker punch' routine, massive punch. Back in the ring, hold, backbreaker, Yakuza kick, Pay Dirt. Thats it. Literally, I left nothing out. Four minutes. I know its heel v heel, but shesh, it was going well. Way to ruin Shelton's record. Oh well.

Backstage, Maria is backstage being make-upped. She turns around into...Maryse! Maryse completely buries Maria's clothes, all "Lolz, you're not going to the ring wearing that?!" More smack talking, before Maryse offers Maria her own Parisian, tailor-made outfits, although "this [butt] might be too big...and this [bosom] might be...not big enough." PWNED! Holy Jesus, that was amazing. I swear, put Maryse in the ring with HHH, I would pay to see her freakin' BURN his ass. Which, of course, she so would.

Maryse is coming out to the ring now. JR and Tazz fail to mention that Maria makes her own clothes, which was the whole point of the epic ownage. But apparently Michelle v Maryse is on the PPV now, wow, OK. Anywho, decent short match. I liked Maryse rolling through into the Camel Clutch-like thingy. And again, she does a wicked DDT for the win. Maryse rules. She backs up to the ramp and HOLY SH*T, Michelle McCool appears OUT OF NOWHERE behind her like a freakin' ghost. That was scary. Michelle and Maryse 'stare down' before Maryse flicks her hair and leaves. Maryse is a million buys.

Jeff Hardy, on your TV, blowing your speakers. He and Kendrick have a decent little match. All Kendrick does is kicks though, and I dont like that, even if they're sweet kicks. Jeff is all over Kendrick until he's outside, when Zeke throws him into the barricade quite nicely. Kendrick comes with the Sliced Bread for the...the win?! Jesus, he goes over Jeff Hardy, they certainly are trying.

Backstage, ahahahahahaha oh Holy Jesus, for a minute I thought that Chavo was wheeling an empty wheelchair into the arena, keeping up the routine even though there's no Vickie. Actually it was just a random wheeling the chair. A limo pulls up, out comes VICKIE! She yells at the stupid random that she doesnt need a wheelchair. This...is good.

In the ring is Ryan Braddock. Where the hell is Colt? Anywho, Super Crazy goes over Braddock in probably 90 seconds. 5 stars. Afterwards, Kozlov comes out. He kicks Crazy out of the ring and says "You're not competition." Pwned. He again demands a challenge. Well, its the Big Show! Show is all Smilin' Mark Henry Big Show again. He challenges Kozlov, and they put up their dukes before VICKIE! Vickie says enough and orders both Kozlov and Big Show to get the hell out of her motherf*cking ring. She threatens Show with suspension and ends with "Oh, and I guarantee it wont be an oversight." This is f*cking amazing, I didnt think that Vickie could get any better, but this rules. She tells Taker (over the din) that she's not afraid of him, and at Unforgiven, she's going to get what she wants: an apology from Taker. Awesome stuff. Seriously, Taker v Vickie just went from no buys to a million buys.

VICTORIA! This just gets better and better. She asked for a rematch with that skankasaurus Brie Bella, because nobody, NOBODY, beats Victoria in their first stinkin' match. Except, you know, everybody. Victoria layeth the Smacketh Down on Brie, ahahahahaha oh Jesus, she punted Brie in the ribs, threw her arms up and yelled "GOAL!" F*cking marry me woman. Brie eventually, you guessed it, scarpers under the ring, coming out another side quite quickly (+1 for subtle J.R.), and rolls Victoria up again with the surprise roll up of DOOM. "Brie" (maybe Camembert?) celebrates, Victoria is pissed, pissed I tells ya. Awesome, I hope they slow burn this motherf*cker. I could watch Camembert surprisingly roll up Victoria for a year.

We recap Jericho/HBK and the Unforgiven lineup. Surely calling Punk's reign the "Cinderella story" kind of negates them trying to take him seriously?

Backstage, HHH is backstage with Eve, who asks him about his main concern. HHH stumbles over his "Global Warming" crack. Failure. He speaks, and segues nicely into an interruption by...Jeff! Jeff says that HHH has a big problem, him. HHH counters with Jeff knowing a lot about problems (oooh), and tops it with "You're going into this PPV with two strikes. Three strikes, and you're out.." OOOOH! ICE BURN! Someone overdosed on their worked-shoot pills again this week.

As we come back the Lumberjacks, Shelton, MVP, Jeff, Kendrick and Zeke, are around the ring. Khali and HHH come to the ring, and they could have died for all I know as I'm sat here typing this. Turns out they didnt. They throw punches to start and immediately go to an ad, with Tazz still talking, that was weird. We return from the break in the Trap Squeeze of DOOM. Hilariously missing facebuster. It was a basic Khali match, but HHH wasnt trying too hard so it wasnt too pretty. Heels beat on HHH outside, Jeff with the save, they throw Jeff into the barricade. Another heel beatdown, Jeff runs across the ring and dives onto all of them. Chokebomb for a two count. Chop of DOOM miss into the Spinebuster into the Pedigree attempt of failure into the Head Squeeze of DOOM. Thats twice now that HHH has pried Khali's Vice Grip hands off of his head with his bare hands. Not even Superman Cena did that. Anywho, Pedigree attempt of win for the win. Jeff claps for HHH in the ring. HHH goes to le-TWIST OF FATE BITCH! Holy moley, the crowd goes deathly silent at this. No boos, just all quiet on the Western Front. They had no idea how to react. That was, wow, OK. End scene.

Quite the episode. This show was basically How To NOT Overload Your Show With Vickie Segments And Still Get Your Point Across Briliantly 101. Seriously, this show did a hundred times more for Vickie/Taker than anything since Edge. B*tch Vickie rules. It was also The Triple H Smart Comment Show, but it built up the Scramble quite nicely, HHH is being...HHH, Shelton continues to look more important than he ever has, Kendrick pinned Jeff freakin' Hardy, and Jeff pwned HHH to end the show. Everyone wins, except MVP, but we cant think of everything. Furthermore, Maryse is on fire, and R-Truth and the Cheese Twins are chugging along nicely already. All the matches on the show were really short, without at least one really good one like usual, which was disappointing after the promise of the matches, but it was still a fun show, and it definitely did its job of hyping the PPV.

EDIT: For those of you wondering, Jeff owning HHH did, obviously, end the show.

Last edited:

Nemesis Enforcer

And now I have a warm fuzzy feeling inside... See if Jimmy had listened to DC we wouldn't have this to read :lol:

So I am expecting HHH to retain at Unforgiven then since Jeff got the better of him the last show before the PPV

The Beltster

HHH's promo at the start of rthe show was a joke. Yes, we all know its fake, yes we all realise its scripted and yet we all know the formula, but making light of it makes no sense, it just highlights that you are running a tired old formula that everybody should know is coming and if they dont they are retarded.

His 'insider' comments get on my nerves, the guy is an idiot.

That huge guy who hangs arouns with Kenrick was great though, he didnt do anything and he didnt have to.

I turned off after that, so I didnt see the rest.

HutchyRSJ

Thought Smackdown was Good this week with two good short matches and a nice main event ( thanks to the lumberjacks not Khali )
Beltster shut the hell up and get a life , it was a promo with HHH , a Promo that was Scripted and he didnt say this is a fake show it was just meant to make people laugh and they have a sense of humour , un like you.

DC

That huge guy who hangs arouns with Kenrick was great though, he didnt do anything and he didnt have to.
I turned around and I said to Becky that when Zeke (the big guy) got in the ring to face of with Triple H, the fans were glued to the ring, showing that it doesn't matter how many moves you can do or how high you can jump, a big man being "faced off" by a bigger man will always generate more interest.

I loved him no-selling the chairshot as well. I think Zeke has the potential to do the Koslov gimmick better than than the Russian himself.

Redneck Messiah

If Ezekiel can work decent he's going to be tremendous. He has a great look and so far has been impressive just being a bodyguard. From what I've heard he respects the business and seems to take a legit interest in learning the history and dynamics of the business. I'm excited to see where he goes from here. Hopefully he won't be horrid on the mic but that hopefully could be fixed with experience. Anybody have any reports on his workrate and mic work in the developmentals?

Fletch

I havent watched much this week, then again, I rarely do of SmackDown.

I loved the Trippers promo. The fans found it somewhat hiliarious. While somewhat smarky, it came across as making Shelts and MVP look a little dumbfounded, and sneaky with THE Brian Kendrick sneak attacking the champ. It was obvious what was going to happen, but it made good TV.

I can see Belty's point slightly of H cutting somewhat of an insider promo, but to my recollection, that's the only one he's done. Sure he's made jokey comments about Vinnie Mac being his father-in-law, Steph etc, hell the baby pic of Steph and H's first baby which was just a baby with Trippers head on it back in 06 while HBK commenting that it looked familiar was pure genius. But as I say, bar the odd joke comment in his promos, I think this was the first more insider promo he's done, and even then, it was meant for a joke, not a serious comment. I dont see any problem in it at all.

ShaolinHandLock

Triple H's smark comments were hilarious. :lol: Ron Killings (I refuse to call him 'R-Truth') was impressive as usual, and the Great Khali was terrible as usual. :lol:

Will Ezekial Jackson actually wrestle matches one day, or is he only going to be The Brian Kendricks' bodyguard?

Vladimir Koslov makes me want to laugh every time he talks, I don't know why, but his accent is just unintentionally hilarious to me. Combine this with his constipated facial expressions, and he is the complete unintentional comedy character! :lol:

The Diva's match between Maryse and Maria dissappointed me. No suprise there.

The "Lumberjack" match was less of a Lumberjack match, and more of a "Single's match with 5 superstars and a bodyguard looking on at ringside as Great Khali gets destroyed by Triple H once again match".:lol: Seriously, a Lumberjack match is supposed to have the ring surrounded by superstars, and calling this a Lumberjack match was a joke.

The Beltster

Beltster shut the hell up and get a life , it was a promo with HHH , a Promo that was Scripted and he didnt say this is a fake show it was just meant to make people laugh and they have a sense of humour , un like you.
I didnt find it funny, I dont find any of HHH's stupid little insider comments funny.

And in future, I'd suggest you drop your attitude and stop speaking to people the way you do, ok? This isnt the first time you have insulted or gone off for no reason on people you dont know. Drop the attitude.

Da Showstoppa

I might be in the minority, but I thought Triple H was really funny - I don't think it damaged the legitimacy in any way IMO.

Kudos to Shelton and MVP's nervous entrances - Shelton looked convinced Undertaker was gonna jump out at him! MVP took a page out of the Eric Young playbook and got spooked by his own pyro.

Also I'm glad Vickie is out of that damn wheelchair - I didn't find that entertaining at all. Undertaker's promo was cold as ice - bet the network powers were loving that - Choked, suffocated buried and burned - real kiddie friendly!

I wonder if old Keyboard Teeth will appear tonight to "save" his estranged wife?