Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 30th January 2009

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Conseco Fieldhouse - Indianapolis, Indiana
Tuesday 27th January

TV Schedule:
Friday 30th January
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: MyNetwork TV at 8/7c

After the fallout of the Royal Rumble, WWE rolls into The Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis for a double taping of Friday Night SmackDown, as the road to No Way Out in Seattle on Sunday 15th February gets underway!

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown at the Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.

SmackDown: (Airing This Week)

* Matt Hardy opens SmackDown with a promo on his actions at Sunday's Royal Rumble pay-per-view.

* R-Truth b. The Brian Kendrick

* MVP b. Chavo Guerrero
- MVP gets the win via pinfall after Chavo misses a frog splash.

* Umaga b. Jimmy Wang Yang in his return to TV match.

* Undertaker b. Mark Henry to earn a spot in the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out.

* Edge & Vickie cut a promo. The Big Show comes out and interrupts.

* Big Show b. Festus to earn a spot in the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out.

* Triple H vs. Vladimir Kozlov vs. The Great Khali in a Triple Threat Chamber Qualifier
- Triple H gets the win after a pedigree on The Great Khali to earn a spot in the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out.

Jimmy Redman

I know I've said this before, but I think my mother is going to kill me. Actually the only solace in another Edge title reign is amusing ourselves with mum's reaction.

We begin with Matt. He has no entrance music, strange. He brings out THE chair, and sits on it and cuts a promo. It started off a bit iffy, but once he got going and got angry it turned out really good. Keeping in mind that Matt isnt the greatest promo in the world, although he is a better heel promo. He could have explained himself better, but never mind. In short, he's tired of having to take care off Jeff all the time, and he was also tired of the fans always liking Jeff more. He also, interestingly, didnt admit to doing all the "accidents". Leaves the door open for Christian, I guess. So yeah, so far, so good.

Truth is out against Kendrick. Knowing how well he's endeared himself to his employers, I wasnt wondered about the result. Big Zeke was ejected before the bell, and Kendrick lost clean in about 2 minutes. If they arent going to do anything with Kendrick, they should at least try and get Zeke over, he's not the worst big man ever.

Chavo, sadly, is in the ring. But wait, he faces MVP! MVP, who came out to no reaction. No boos, because he's not a heel anymore, and no cheers either, because he's not over as a face yet. They had a good little 5 minute match. He got some cheers, but not that many. I'm glad MVP is using his throw, it rules. MVP clean with the Yakuza kick. Fair pop for his win. JR tells Tazz to go interview him, so...he does. MVP rolls off some catchphrases (always a good thing for a babyface to do) and basically challenges for the US Title. Wicked cool. MVP v Shelton should be good this time, if they get more than 4 minutes that is.

HOLY FREAKING MOLEY, UMAGA RETURNS NEXT! WOO!

We run down the EC with that video. Qualifiers announced for toonight are Taker v Mizark, and HHH v Khali v Kozlov. Triple H...vs Khali...vs Kozlov. Christ in Heaven. I wonder who's going to win, not that I'll ever know because I'll have died from sh*t awful wrestling well before the finish.

Going from the worst match in history to the greatest thing ever, YOUMANGA! They...changed his music?! Woah, epic failure there. Its much, much less than his old theme. Anywho, UMAGA IS BACK MOTHERS! Maybe it was just me but he seemed to get a few too many cheers for a monster heel. Back from the break, he faces Jimmy Yang. Yang sold having to face Umaga the whole way down the ramp. Black Hole Slam, punch-punch-choke, Running Butt Attack, Samoan Spike, win. I left nothing out. He got HUGE cheers for the latter two moves, as well as the pin. I dont know if they were trying to make Umaga into a babyface (because I dont understand why you would want Umaga to be a babyface), but Umaga sure was the babyface. Regardless, Umaga rules.

Taker is out for the semi-main. I love Mark Henry's music, and I love Mark Henry. We punch. Henry punches Taker. Taker punches Henry. We throw some more punches. The bell rings and they go and sit in their corners. Actually at one point Mizark caught Taker coming off the ropes, which was pretty cool considering he caught a guy Taker's size in mid-air. We're back for Round 2. Taker FLURRIES his way out of a headlock, then we trade blows. I'd give it 10-9 to Taker. Anywho, Taker eventually wins with a Chokeslam. TKO, I guess. I'm shocked anyway.

Man, we've gone over an hour with no HHH, or Edge, or Kozlov, or Show. Which makes it possibly the greatest first hour of television ever.

VICKIE! She introduces Edge. I spoke too soon. He cuts your usual boring Edge promo, this time telling the fans to apologise for being wrong about him running over Stone Cold. Much more interestingly, he mentions his DVD and then says "For the benefit of those with flash photography.." to absolutely NO reaction. NOBODY in the building reacted. I cannot exaggerate this. So it seems they still will bring Christian in soon, but dont hold your breath for any great reception. Or even a reception. Anywho, he kisses Vickie which brings out Show. Show hugs Vickie and fondles the title belt, which was strange, and they leave because Show's match is NEXT.

Against Gravy. Interesting. Gravy tackles Show and lifts him off his feet, before Show KILLS him with a DDT. Show goes all punchy on his ass before Festus counters with A TORNADO DDT OFF THE TURNBUCKLE. I sh*t you not. Festus with the Tornado DDT on Big Show. This is the GREATEST. MATCH. EVER. Show does that powerbomb thing where they keep rotating over your head, faceplanting Gravy again. They're selling it like his brain has been scrambled. I hope that isnt an angle. Show pins him with the KNOCKOUT PUNCH OF DOOM AND ETERNAL REPLAYS. He also Chokeslams Jesse for good measure. So yeah, FIVE STARS. Despite the question of why you would job out Festus like that, that was outstanding.

Backstage, Michelle BURNS EVE TO HELL. That was fantastic. Eve slaps Michelle and she backs away, still smirking. Michelle rules the school baby.

YOUR main event of INSUFFERABLE DOOM is NEXT. What, no Divas match? The f*ck is that? Christ, they cant possibly have this go more than 10. Could they?

Thankfully, we replay Raw and eat up a few more minutes. I loved Orton and Steph in the closing segment. Shane McMahon, decidedly less so.

Da Game is out. As is Khali. They showed a random Indian in a turban popping wildly for Khali. I hate Kozlov. Just throwing that out there. To begin we have the 'heels take turns beating face down in the corner, tossing each other aside' spot, before Kozlov and Khali face off. CHOP OF DOOM! That is Kozlov at his best. If he just got his ass Chopped to DOOM every week I might consider not hating him. We break. I dont really know what to say about this match. It wasnt quite as horrible as you'd think, but it wasnt any better either. Kozlov falls out for HHH to hit THE WORST PEDIGREE OF ALL TIME on Khali. Khali basically Pedigreed himself. Anywho, HHH wins. The most commonly written two words in wrestling.

That wasnt the greatest show ever, and like Raw and ECW, failed to build on the pretty good Rumble PPV and start the 'Road to Wrestlemania'. Matt Hardy's promo, Umaga's return and Show/Festus were the highlights.

TPIB

I want to say thank you to My46TV (the St. Louis MyNetworkTV affiliate) for spoiling the main event for me. Why bother watching another five minutes or so not knowing the winner when a premature promo can just blurt it out?

WWE SmackDown Match Results- January 30, 2009

R-Truth def. The Brian Kendrick by pin following the Axe Kick.

MVP def. Chavo Guerrero by pin following the Drive-By Kick.

Squash Match:
Umaga (in his return) def. Jimmy Wang Yang by pin following the Samoan Spike.

Elimination Chamber Qualifying Match:
The Undertaker def. Mark Henry (with Tony Atlas) by submission to the Devil's Gate to advance to the Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Title at No Way Out.

Elimination Chamber Qualifying Match:
Big Show def. Festus by pin following the straight right hand to advance to the Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Title at No Way Out.

Elimination Chamber Qualifying Match: Triple Threat:
Triple H def. Vladimir Kozlov & The Great Khali by pinning The Great Khali following the Pedigree to advance to the Elimination Chamber Match for the WWE Title at No Way Out.

Twig

That was the worst pedigree in recorded history... even worse than this one:
, which is actually pretty awesome.

DarkMatchJobber

I am glad Umaga has returned because he is still a great talent in my eyes and someone who could really add another element to the main-event mix if given the chance.

Come to think of it it's a shame Jeff isn't still WWE champion because I would love a renewal of his previous wars with Umaga.

TPIB

What I find funny about the botched Pedigree on The Great Khali is the fact that when they had their match at SummerSlam, when it was live, Triple H hit the Pedigree the best he could on Khali and it looked fine. However, when he tried it this past Friday on a taped show, that is when he/they botched it. It's amusing that it worked kind of backwards like that.

I think Vladimir Kozlov will find a way into the Elimination Chamber. That's just based on the fact that he's on the poster, though.

With Edge, Undertaker, Big Show, & Triple H, this is turning out to be a very interesting set of SmackDown stars in the Elimination Chamber. I think we will see Umaga added to the match next week and possibly Matt Hardy to round it out, though Kozlov would make more sense. It would be cool to advertise a "mystery entrant" and reveal it to be Christian.

Matt Hardy's promo was great on SmackDown and it was made even better by the music and the pictures and videos added to it. I am not sure what Matt will be doing until then, but I don't see Jeff Hardy returning until after No Way Out. Wouldn't it be weird if WWE took the title off of Jeff because Jeff failed another drug test? That would be unfortunate as it would be Jeff's third strike, meaning his release. I do not think that is the case though.

I read that there was a kayfabe blog on WWE.com by Howard Finkel pushing for Theodore Long to bring MVP to ECW. I think that is an excellent idea as I see MVP being equal in talent to Matt Hardy and, without Matt, ECW seems to be missing a big chunk of star power. I can easily picture MVP being the next ECW Champion, though I would like to see him dethrone Shelton Benjamin and take back the United States Title.

Some may call it a botchfest, but during Umaga's return, I was thinking that it would make an interesting match if Umaga faced Vladimir Kozlov.

The Edge & Big Show Vs. Triple H & The Undertaker tag team match should be a great match, as these "strange bedfellows" tag matches tend to be. I am always interested to see the public interaction between Triple H & The Undertaker, given their alleged dislike for each other backstage. I would like to see another match between them. It would make sense since they had that match at WrestleMania X-Seven in the same city.

Jimmy Redman

I've finally figured out who Matt Hardy looked like back in his jobber days.

Rafael Nadal.

And there was a disturbing lack of BACKSTAGE this week, with Michelle's SICK BURNING being the only one. Hopefully that is rectified soon.

ShaolinHandLock

Having just seen Afterburn, here are my thoughts:

- I really enjoyed Matt Hardy's heel comments towards Jeff. If Matt Hardy continues like this, it could be very interesting.

- The Undertaker vs Mark Henry was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

- Chavo Guerrero's Frogsplash looked horrible. I enjoyed the way he splatted face-first on the ring mat though. :lol:

- The Big Show's punch finish to his match with Festus was quite boring in my opinion.

- Triple H's botched pedigree was laughable. I also had to try not to laugh when Afterburn host Josh Mathews called it a "Punjabi Pedigree". :lol:

That is all. :)

KINGOVKINGS

i was not really that impressed with SD this week. It was pretty weak i thought.
Matt's promo was pretty good considering, Well it's Matt lol. But he did a pretty good job of it to be fair.

Umaga's return he looked to have lost weight and looked pretty lean. He was moving OK no real signs of ring rust. Typical squash match. Glad his back adds bit more depth to Mid card.

MVP/Chavo I enjoyed this match not the best match by either of them, But it was OK some good wrestling in parts. And glad MVP won. I'm hoping they push MVP big time this year. He is underrated IMO.

HHH/Khali/Kozlov Wasn't that good OK in parts but nah didn't really think it was that good.
And the messed up pedigree, Which was Khali's fault not HHH's. Just topped off the match a not so good match with botched finisher. Enough said really.