Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 2nd May 2008

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, New Jersey

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: The CW at 8/7c

All Roads Lead To Backlash
2nd May 2008

Before the WWE Superstars return to action on Friday Night SmackDown, many will be looking to settle scores, bring down rivals, and walk away with the gold this Sunday at Backlash.

Ever since Undertaker defeated Edge at WrestleMania XXIV to become the new World Heavyweight Champion, the Ultimate Opportunist has continuously vowed to regain the title. But with so many resources behind him, can the Rated-R Superstar walk away from Backlash with the title, or will The Phenom prove once again he has the former champion's number?

Shawn Michaels sent Ric Flair into retirement by defeating him at WrestleMania XXIV – a result Batista didn't enjoy. HBK and The Animal have been at serious odds ever since, over whether it was the "right" thing for Michaels to do. Talking is now no longer an option to finding out the answer. In perhaps one of WWE's most emotional rivalries, the two will go one-on-one this Sunday at Backlash to settle their score.

It will be a clash of the titans as Big Show and The Great Khali collide this Sunday at Backlash. Since a Punjabi Peace Offering went awry on SmackDown, the two giants have exchanged vicious attacks, each leaving the other behemoth down and out. Which 7-footer will walk out of Backlash with bragging rights as perhaps WWE’s top giant?

They say time heals all wounds … just not the one between United States Champion MVP and arch-rival Matt Hardy. After MVP delivered a stunning attack to the knee of his then-partner last year, Hardy was forced to take months off to recuperate. But since making a surprise appearance at WrestleMania XXIV to spoil MVP's chances for Money in the Bank, Hardy has set his sights on getting some payback. At Backlash, will Hardy get what he has been seeking since last year, or will SmackDown’s Franchise Playa retain his gold and stay one step ahead of his rival?

In the epic 12-Diva Tag Team Match at Backlash, SmackDown's own Michelle McCool & Cherry will be on one team, pitted against rivals Natalya & Victoria on the other. With tensions already high between these two growing alliances, what impact might this have on their team's outcome at Backlash?

Find out the answers to all of these questions at Backlash this Sunday, Then, don't miss all of the fallout on Friday Night SmackDown at 10pm on Sky Sports 3!

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
pwinsider.com

- Teddy Long opens the show to announce the 3 titles will be defended.

- WWE Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison defeated Shannon Moore & Jimmy Wang Yang.

- Armando Estrada came out as the Guest Ring Announcer for the next match.

- Vladimir Kozlov defeated Colin Delaney.

- They show Nunzio backstage getting ready, Mark Henry comes up to him. Apparently, it is Henry vs. Nunzio tonight.

- Victoria & Natalya Neidhart defeated Michelle McCool & Cherry. Neidhart pinned McCool with a rollup and a handful of tights.

- Recap of the World Heavyweight Championship match from Backlash. It's Undertaker vs. Great Khali tonight.

- Mark Henry defeated Nunzio. Nunzio stands on the ramp, waves out someone. Music hits... The Big Show... and he is in Nunzio's corner. Henry wins, stares down Show during the pin. Show enters ring... Henry backs off and leaves the ring. Show grabs the mic and says, 'why don't you try and pick on someone your own size'. Henry retreats up the aisle.

- Matt Hardy makes his first US Title defense next against MVP.

- Matt Hardy defeated MVP to retain the WWE US Title. Match went about 15 minutes, real solid match. Hardy wins with a Twist of Fate.

- In ring segment, Mick Foley interviews Batista. Reviews Batista's match from Backlash vs. Shawn Michaels. Batista says he respects Shawn, but doesn't like how he got to the top. Foley brings up the comments from Chris Jericho on RAW on the Highlight Reel and says the match has further controversy. Foley asks Batista if he thinks Michaels faked the knee injury to gain the victory at Backlash. Batista hopes for Shawn's sake he is hurt, cause if he isn't, he will be.

- Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins defeated Jesse & Festus.

- Finlay defeated Julio Dinero with the Celtic Cross.

- Undertaker vs. Great Khali. Taker in ring, Edge & Vickie Guerrero on the stage. Vickie says that Taker is reckless, does not look out for his opponents and his submission move is now banned. If he uses it, he will have hell to pay. Vickie then says that because of his actions, Undertaker has been stripped of the World Heavyweight Championship and to bring it to her... he refuses. Khali comes out for the match. Taker puts the submission move on Khali, during this, Hawkins & Ryder hit the ring, take the World Heavyweight Championship and run up the ramp and give it to Vickie. Khali is choked out as Taker goes to head up the ramp after Edge. They escape. Taker looks back and returns to the ring. He chokeslammed a bloodied Khali and left him laying.

Ro_y Disco

So WWE is presenting a PPV in just 8 weeks, not really that long, which is based entirely based on the fact that every title in the company will be defend in one night. In fact, the very reason for the 'gimmicked' night is that it has such a low buy rate that it supposedly needs something like that to sell the show.

Yet, this week, for free and with less time to have to wait, SmackDown! does the exact same gimmicked night?

Tha foo's!

Jimmy Redman

Well, its nigh on 3.30pm, I have my Coke and my Turkish pide, I guess its time for...running commentary!

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the MICK FOLEY SHOW!

To start, Teddy Long appears on the ramp (very sadly without theme music), and announces that all the Smackdown belts will be defended.

Cole is in the ring and announces the new Smackdown colour guy, Mick Foley.

Tag Champs Morrison and Miz over Jimmy Yang and Shinnin Moore. Good match, as most of their matches are. God I LOVE MNM's catapult-into-elbow-into-Miz's knees-into-elbow drop combo thing, it rules. Foley tried his hardest to put Morrison and Miz over. Good point: when he said Miz used to be the least respected and most hated guy in the locker room, but now he's just the most hated as he's earnt respect. Bad point: Saying Morrison used to use cute moves that didnt hurt his opponents much, but now he's got so much better. Dont ever say that moves dont really hurt, ever. Morrison's finish has a name! The Moonlight Drive. FTW.

Armando Estrada is in the ring, he announces Colin Delaney at 107 pounds, against Vladimir Kozlov. Hooray for no theme music. Colin actually got the best match out of Kozlov yet, just for being a bump machine. Great spot was Kozlov throwing Colin across the top turnbuckle, kicking him up and catching him on his chest, before a fall away slam/throw. Cool.

The thought is occurring to me that Mick Foley talks, especially about himself, way too much.

Nunzio is backstage lacing his boots, Mark Henry tells him they have a match, and wishes him luck. Aww I like Mark Henry.

VICTORIA AND NATALYA! Versus Michelle and Cherry! OHMYGODOHMYGOD, yes! Victoria and Nattie bullying Cherry backstage for the Michelle save rules. Very good match. Cherry comes in all top rope splash and roll up and BITCHSLAP~~ on Victoria while Michelle and Cherry are both looking like "WTH?!", Cherry rules. Michelle coming in for the hot tag and killing Nattie with a spear rules. Nattie pulling Michelle's tights halfway down her ass rules. Victoria and Natalya being all Best Friends 4 Ever~~ with their BFF handshake rules. Victoria going "AHAHAHAHA!" at Michelle and Cherry with a 'Loser' sign rules. Everything about this rules.

Mark Henry is in the ring, Nunzio comes out to the ramp and beckons for...Well, its the Big Show. Crowd popped for Show HUGE. Quick Mark Henry squash, Show comes in for a staredown, Mark Henry backs out. Show tells him to pick on someone his own size. Is Show going to go through every big man on the roster?

Matt Hardy v MVP - US Title is...now. The thought occurs to me for about the 10th time in an hour that Mick Foley talks about himself too much. STOP BEING MEAN TO COACH DAMMIT! Good 15 minute match, it was hard to follow as I got a phone call, and only hung up to see the Twist of Fate and the pin. MVP seemed to dominate Matt with holds for most of the match, it wasnt one of their best.

Mick Foley (ARGH!) is in the ring to interview Batista. Crowd still loves the big man. Batista gives no opinion, but says that if Shawn isnt hurt, he will hurt him. Boring and completely pointless.

Ryder and Hawkins over Festus and Jesse. I was entirely distracted for this match, forgive me. Although I did hear Foley telling us how Snoop Dogg and Festus "hang out and talk about girls and cultural issues". I like it. Wait, Festus and Jesse lost? I missed it, what happened?

Finlay over jobber boy. Quick squash, the only Hornswoggle malarky was him dragging jobber under the ring once, and a Tadpole Splash after the match. Mick Foley finds the name Julio Dinero hi-LAR-ious.

Taker comes out, but Vickie comes out with Edge and tells Taker his move is dangerous and illegal, if he uses it again he'll have "hell to pay", and she eventually strips him of the belt. Man, when the hell did Vickie become a good heel? Anyway, Khali out for the staredown, kick-in-the-face and the gogoplata, Ryder and Hawkins steal the belt for Vickie, Khali is bleeding. Hopefully this will help in getting the gogoplata over, not to mention our heel GM Vickie. I always thought that she should have been a bit more upset that Edge lost his title. I actually like this, we havent had a good ol' stripping of the belt in quite a while.

Strange episode really, but overall a good one. I hope the Mick Foley overkill stops soon, and while he does need improvement, says some silly things, and waffles on about himself a lot, he's still doing alright.

Last edited:

Nemesis Enforcer

Wait, Festus and Jesse lost? I missed it, what happened?
Hawkins (or Rhyder I can't tell which) hit Festus in the the throat with his forearms forcing him to go tag out then Jesse upon the tag went for a top rope cross body but missed and stood up right into a finisher for the 1-2-3 loss

I enjoyed most of Smackdown this week with several good matches in there the whole Taker stripped of the title thing is interesting too, I expect he will be winning it 'back' at the next PPV

bigmatt

Forum Leader
Subscriber
I havent seen Smackdown yet.Is this stripping of the title official and if he wins it back at Judgement day will it count as another reign?

Nemesis Enforcer

I assume so, Vickie said he was stripped of the title and demanded he brought it up the ramp to her whcih he refused to do so she sent Khali down to get it form him just as Jimmy said while Taker was taking out Khali, Hawkins and Ryder came through the crowd and grabbed the belt from the ring and gave it to Vickie

So as far as I can tell Taker is not champ anymore and the title is vacent

FreeSpirit

Yeah I loved Championship Friday. :thumbsup

It was a really good episode of SmackDown this week. The MVP Vs Hardy match was great, and I loved the ending of the show with Taker getting stripped off the title. I knew Taker would get punished for his actions at Backlash, but I didn't expect this.

Nemesis Enforcer

Last night's edition of SmackDown drew a 2.3 rating, tied for its lowest rating this year. The first hour drew a 2.1 and the second hour drew a 2.5. Despite the low rating, SmackDown still placed ahead of Fox, finishing in fourth place for the night.
Credit: Wrestlezone.com

Once again last weeks good episode fails to raise ratings this week, and for the 4th week running the rating dropped. We shall see if the Taker stripped of the title situation does anything to improve next weeks

Last edited:

DarkMatchJobber

I still think this episode of Smackdown's a classic example of how bad WWE's booking is these days,it's mind numbingly repetitive and incredibly lacking in imagination.

I am an Edge fan but his alliance with Vickie should have ended a long time ago,he seems to have lost everything that made him the rated r superstar (since when was it rated r to have manicures,massages,picnics and actually commit to someone for life?)

Personally I think Edge should have turned on Vickie after his Backlash loss having failed to regain the belt and then she'd realise all he ever wanted was her influence so she'd quit the GM role being unable to deal with the emotional stress of Edge revealing his true colors,this could excuse Teddy Long to return in the role.

Miz and Morrison must be frustrated as champions because they obviously have the charisma and ability to be a solid draw but are stuck feuding with lower card talent who are far beneath them in terms of value to the company and long term potential,I'd like to see them have a competitive rivalry with Kane and Undertaker at some stage with the world and ecw titles coming into the picture (say Miz goes for ECW and Morrison goes for world title).

I have no trouble believing that Kane and Taker would do the right thing and put Morrison and Miz over the right way because they could both be important to the company in the coming years.

DraVen

I am an Edge fan but his alliance with Vickie should have ended a long time ago,he seems to have lost everything that made him the rated r superstar (since when was it rated r to have manicures,massages,picnics and actually commit to someone for life?)
Since doing so gives him the power of SmackDown. He's practically in the HHH role of 2000 (and of real life) which did nothing to hurt HHH at the time (in fact, his stuff with Steph made him even better).

Personally I think Edge should have turned on Vickie after his Backlash loss having failed to regain the belt and then she'd realise all he ever wanted was her influence so she'd quit the GM role being unable to deal with the emotional stress of Edge revealing his true colors,this could excuse Teddy Long to return in the role.
Why should Teddy return to the role when Vickie is doing a pretty good job? Plus, if Edge turned on her, she wouldn't have stripped Taker of the title and Edge wouldn't be back in contention. Vickie wants love and power and is doing anything to get it, Edge wants power and the title and is doing Vickie to get it, and the stable gains power through association and gives Vickie and Edge more power and heat from it. It's the best thing SmackDown has done in almost a year and they should run even harder with this La Familia stable.

Their only problem is that they're without face contention. Without Taker, there is no contender for Edge, and vice versa (since Batista is busy, and has worked with Edge enough). They should really move Matt Hardy up into the role and give Chavo new competition to work with (they'd probably have good matches, and Matt is super over), and have Hardy and Taker team up to face Edge and Chavo, with either Jesse and Festus or the Reject and Redneck keeping the Edgeheads busy and making it a full stable feud to keep things exciting and fresh for a bit. Might create some new stars too, although it leaves MVP out of the loop, but he desperately needs to move to Raw already (swap him for Umaga, already).

I have no trouble believing that Kane and Taker would do the right thing and put Morrison and Miz over the right way because they could both be important to the company in the coming years.
What? Sorry, are you honestly suggesting that Morrison should become a WORLD TITLE CONTENDER at this point in his career?

That's a HORRIBLE idea. A REAL HORRIBLE CRAPPY STUPID S**TTY IDEA!!!

There's so much wrong with that, not least that Morrison isn't a draw, hasn't been pushed enough, won't be taken seriously in the role, and isn't even the best member of the team to deserve such a push. Plus, why split them up? They obviously work best together and putting them on seperate shows to win world titles is just pointless, especially when they're years away from deserving such a spot. Most importantly, why would they get the spot when guys like MVP and Matt Hardy are still around and will (and should) be pushed first.

The US title should be their first point of contention IF they really need to go after a singles run.

DarkMatchJobber

I'm really having trouble trying to figure out why people would think the Edge,Vickie and Familia storyline is the best thing Smackdown has done in years because if it is that only highlights how poor the show actually is and how inferior it is to a RAW that's barely passable these days.

As for Morrison not being ready nor over enough for a world title push that didn't stop the company from throwing JBL into the WWE title picture without any build up or any indication he deserved it did it?

As for the Matt Hardy uber love on these forums I think it's completely misguided,he's a passable worker and is alright on the mic so to say he deserves a main event push is ridiculous in my opinion and it should be obvious to anyone who watched carefully that MVP carried their feud,their team and their promos.

Jimmy Redman

I'm really having trouble trying to figure out why people would think the Edge,Vickie and Familia storyline is the best thing Smackdown has done in years because if it is that only highlights how poor the show actually is and how inferior it is to a RAW that's barely passable these days.

As for Morrison not being ready nor over enough for a world title push that didn't stop the company from throwing JBL into the WWE title picture without any build up or any indication he deserved it did it?

As for the Matt Hardy uber love on these forums I think it's completely misguided,he's a passable worker and is alright on the mic so to say he deserves a main event push is ridiculous in my opinion and it should be obvious to anyone who watched carefully that MVP carried their feud,their team and their promos.
I dont think it is personally, its been a bit hit and miss with me (not liking Edge doesnt help I suppose), but its a good idea. There have been much better Smackdown angles recently, and Smackdown is better than Raw most weeks.

JBL was an established 'veteran', if you will, and a HUGE guy to boot. He was given a completely different gimmick, and was perfectly booked to the top. Morrison is young, unproven, very small, and there is no need for the company to put him in the main event right now when he's not ready. Just no possible need.

It takes two to tango, as it were. MVP is a better talker, obviously, but Matt Hardy more than held up his end of the feud, and improved considerably during it in that regard.

DarkMatchJobber

Being a big wrestler and a veteran doesn't mean you should be given a new gimmick and be pushed to the WWE title immediately afterwards otherwise guys like Hardcore Holly and Viscera would've been champion long before JBL.

Jimmy Redman

Being a big wrestler and a veteran doesn't mean you should be given a new gimmick and be pushed to the WWE title immediately afterwards otherwise guys like Hardcore Holly and Viscera would've been champion long before JBL.
Holly and Viscera have nothing to do with anything. You compared Morrison to JBL as midcarders getting a sudden main event push, and I gave examples as to why JBL's worked and why Morrison's might not work as well. JBL was a veteran, and was also a big man, it was much easier to make him a credible main eventer than it would be to make Morrison right now, as he's still fairly new, and not physically imposing (just very pretty). And while Morrison is a good talker, he's not on JBL's level. JBL became a main eventer practically overnight, but he had the gimmick and the mic skills to make it believable.

Rog

I He was given a completely different gimmick, and was perfectly booked to the top.
Exactly, anyone watching wrestling for the first time around that era wouldnt even know he was Bradshaw. Radically re-invented for the main event.

DC

And for those who did know he was APA Bradshaw, the new gimmick was easily explained as JBL deciding to be who he really is; a self-made millionaire and Wall Street guru.