Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 22nd August 2008

What Did You Think of SmackDown #471?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The I Wireless Center - Moline, Illinois

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10am
USA: The CW at 8/7c

Brink Of The Biggest Blockbuster
22nd August 2008

The Biggest Blockbuster of the Summer explodes tonight LIVE on Sky Box Office, and the land of SmackDown will never be the same.

In perhaps the biggest match of his career, Edge will face a returning Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell Match. The maniacal Rated-R Superstar has vowed to drag The Deadman down to Hell with him. But, what kind of fury will the once-banished Phenom wreak upon the Ultimate Opportunist? Is anyone – including SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero – safe?

WWE Champion Triple H faces The Great Khali for the first time ever at SummerSlam. Will The King of Kings return to SmackDown with his crown? Or, will the Punjabi Giant stop The Game in his tracks and claim the gold?

When Jeff Hardy took on United States Champion Shelton Benjamin on SmackDown, it was interference from none other than Montel Vontavious Porter who caused the match to end in a disqualification. Come Sunday, Hardy and MVP will finally be able to settle the score that has been brewing for weeks. Which Superstar will silence his critic with a win?

The undefeated Vladimir Kozlov continues to chalk up wins, most recently against a formidable Festus. If the Corn-fed Colossus can't stop the Moscow Mauler, who can?

With massive associate Ezekiel Jackson, The Brian Kendrick is quickly shaking things up in the land of SmackDown. Who will stand up to this duo?

Witness the fallout from SummerSlam on Friday Night SmackDown at 10pm only on Sky Sports 3!

SuperKick Kid

****SPOILERS****

WWE taped this week's edition of WWE SmackDown from the I Wireless Center in Moline, Illinois. Special thanks to WNW's Ryan Gray and readers Nick Devenney, John Knopick, and Matt Holcomb for text-messaging the following results.

* A WrestleMania XXIV video package is shown.

Dark Match:
* Takeshi Morishima w/Tony Atlas b. Jamie Noble
- Morishima, the former Ring of Honor Champion, got the win via pinfall.

SmackDown:
* Vickie comes out and apologizes to the crowd for her thing with Edge to redeem herself. She then announces a WWE Title Scramble for Unforgiven. There will be two qualifying matches for it tonight.

* Maria b. Natalya
- Maria got the win via disqualification. Maryse came out and interfered.

*10 Man Battle Royal to qualify for PPV Scramble. Big Show eliminates everyone but Brian Kendrick is caught by Ezekiel and tossed back in the ring. Show doesn't realize and eliminates himself stepping over the ropes. Kendrick qualifies for the Scramble.

* MVP b. Festus
- MVP got the win via countout to earn a spot in the WWE Title Scramble at Unforgiven.

* Shelton Benjamin b. Finlay
- Shelton got the win via pinfall to earn a spot in the WWE Title Scramble at Unforgiven. After the match Mike Knox came down and attacked Finlay.

* Jeff Hardy b. The Great Khali
- Hardy earns a spot in the WWE Title Scramble at Unforgiven. He gets the win via pinfall!

* Triple H comes in the ring and delivers a promo on what he thinks of his opponents for Unforgiven. Kenny Dykstra comes out to interrupt but is quickly pedigreed.

* The show ends with La Familia apologizing to Undertaker. He doesn't accept; they jump him and he destroys them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC

This...
*10 Man Battle Royal to qualify for PPV Scramble. Big Show eliminates everyone but Brian Kendrick is caught by Ezekiel and tossed back in the ring. Show doesn't realize and eliminates himself stepping over the ropes. Kendrick qualifies for the Scramble.
This...
*The show ends with La Familia apologizing to Undertaker. He doesn't accept; they jump him and he destroys them.
And this...
Kendrick, Jeff Hardy, MVP and Shelton Benjamin qualify for the WWE Scramble match
... all sound awesome.

I like how the Smackdown Scramble has three people who haven't really been in the title picture before. What's the odds on a Brian Kendrick victory at the PPV?

Jayfunk

Kendrick, Jeff Hardy, MVP and Shelton Benjamin qualify for the WWE Scramble match
as mentioned on the PPV thread, i think the smackdown main event is weak compared to the RAW one

Shaun2J

Subscriber
The likes of Kendrick and Benjamin wouldn't have been in the match if Umaga and Kennedy weren't injured I think.

Al Stevens

That is true however either way they are getting a bit of a push to the main event which is pretty damn cool in my books.

Jayfunk

pushing young talent amen, pushing them in to a job match is different IMO HHH isn't going to him them much of a rub and i'll wager HHH pins them all.

Its not me HHH bashing at all, it just from his past record he wouldn't

Last edited:

DC

Triple H doesn't lose in multi-man matches. It's not how wrestling works
Wrestlemania XXIV called to tell you that you're lying (and also to mention that he lost the title to The Rock in a multi-man match and failed to win the WWF Title in the six-man Hell in a Cell match).

Oh, and that's before we even get to Royal Rumble and Survivor Series matches. ;)

Last edited:

Rebekah

Seriously now, i can only see either Triple H retaining or jeff winning. As good as MVP is i dont think they would give him the belt right now. Thats the difference between that and the Raw match, in the Raw match see, i get the impression that any of the five in that match could win the Title.

Black Knight

The Brian Kendrick in a WWE title match? Interesting...Since there is a Raw scramble and a Smackdown scramble, could we be seeing a ECW scramble? I wouldn't mind seeing these wrestler's included in the match: Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Finlay, The Miz and John Morrison. Oh yeah, back to Smackdown...

BlackEyed

The Brian Kendrick in a WWE title match? Interesting...Since there is a Raw scramble and a Smackdown scramble, could we be seeing a ECW scramble? I wouldn't mind seeing these wrestler's included in the match: Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Finlay, The Miz and John Morrison. Oh yeah, back to Smackdown...
If you had Mark Henry/Matt Hardy/Evan Bourne/John Morrison/Tommy Dreamer, make it extreme rules, then that surely would be good?....Wouldn't it?....:dohstars:

Jimmy Redman

I see an unusually large amount of replies to this thread already, something interesting must have happened.

Anywho, we open with VICKIE! She basically blames Edge for her being so mean, and says that now she's the 'real Vickie you all love'. Shame then that I love the heel Vickie. She goes on to say she's glad Taker is back and explains the Championship Scramble. Two on one PPV? Overkill, but I suppose it worked for NWO, so we'll see. Her speech was long and not very well received. Vickie, despite what she says, is not very likeable. It was face content without the face turn, if that makes sense. Hmm.

Maria! I'm assuming versus Natalya, and after the break, I assume right. Good match, with really nice mat work. Yeah, Maria sure cant wrestle. She knocks Natalya out of the r-MARYSE! She saunters down to the ring for the very casual double beatdown and DQ. She mounts Maria (you wish) and pummels her (you wish) for the MICHELLE save. Good stuff all round.

Backstage, Chavo and Bam are wheeling Vickie (boo) backstage. Why does she always arrive after the show has started? Thats not very professional. Big Show is backstage and asks Vickie who he faces to qualify for the Scramble, Vickie basically says she forgot about him. Lolz, oops. I'm digging the I'm-really-nice-now-but-I'm-really-not Vickie already. Its a safe bet that Show will kill someone tonight.

Big Show wanders down and sits at ringside. Contrary to what the spoilers say, he's not actually in the match. Now, its a 10-jobber Battle Royal for a shot at the WWE Championship on PPV. Seriously, there was Funaki and Colt and the Majors and Armando freakin' Estrada (him and Crazy are on ECW. Huh?) and that new guy who jobbed to Show last week. Following on from last night's conversation with DS, I dont approve of this. On the plus side, COLT CABANA. Your usual battle royal action, until Show answers the chants and just goes in and kills everyone. Kendrick is caught by Zeke again as he's tossed out, and as Show killed everyone else, he is the winner. Yeesh. It works for the gimmick Kendrick is portraying, but yeesh.

MVP comes out. They show a post-Summerslam "Jeff beat Jeff" promo. Festus? OK. Decent match, nothing special but solid stuff. To finish, Festus comeback until we go outside. MVP kicks Jesse and rolls back inside for the countout win. Way to put over your WORLD TITLE CONTENDERS guys. Yeesh. MVP sold Festus' "metamorphosis" great like, before kicking his ass outside.

Another qualif-Shelton and Finlay?! God damn, and we thought Smackdown ended up with a good roster. With Umaga and Kennedy injured and Edge dead, it is clearly very thin. In any case, Shelton is looking to go 4 from 4 here, and he couldnt have picked a better opponent to accomplish that. Holy Moley, some way in Shelton just freakin' snaps and they beat the sh*t out of each other, that was massive. Shelton freakin' Benjamin is killing Finlay freakin' Finlay, and it actually rules quite hard. Really good match, and boom, 4 from 4 for M. Benjamin. Menacing Mike Knox comes out and grabs Hornswoggle for the Finlay distraction for the PayDirt for the win! I'm shocked. Knox beats on Finlay post-match. How utterly, utterly logical. Knox gets some heat for this. Win. That was all actually quite good. Watch this match.

So, so far we have Kendrick, MVP and Shelton. HHH should be shaking in his boots. They announce Jeff v Khali as the last match. There are already 3 heels so I'm guessing Jeff. But then again, Khali just challenged HHH, and beating 4 heels on PPV would be very HHH-like. Man is this match going to look ordinary if Khali gets in. Hmm.

We recap Jericho/Michaels. Apparently something happened between them.

Backstage, Chavo, Bam and Vickie are backstage. Chavo wonders aloud why Taker hasnt shown up yet. Its like this, Chavo. Undertaker is in what's called the 'main event'. Thats the part at the end of the show where the top guys come out. I can understand if you wouldnt really be familiar with the whole concept, but there you go. Chavo plants the seed of Taker's revenge in Vickie's mind (again!?) so they decide that he couldnt possibly reject an apology. Good plan guys.

HHH comes out to commentate, next. Always the comedian, that HHH. Jeff is on your TV, blowing your speakers once again. Jeff has had decent Khali matches with Khali, and its much the same here. HHH puts over Khali huge, not so much Jeff. Hmm. Hilariously missing Whisper in the Wind here. Onion Singh distraction of doom, HHH punch of doom, and HHH chair shot to Khali of doom, for the Swanton of win. Thank the Lord for that! I wish he'd win the title, but unlike the start of the year, I dont say that with any confidence. At least the match looks somewhat more respectable.

Back from the break, HHH graciously explains the Scramble for the third time. After booking the third explanation, the Russo bells should have been ringing very loudly in their ears, and that isnt a good thing. Anywho, he cuts his pro-KENNY! He's still alive! He says something, says his name, and gets Pedigreed for his HHH-interrupting troubles. I really dont mind this as a way to re-introduce Kenny onto the show, it works.

Backstage, Bam, Chavo and Vickie are still backstage, pondering her written apology. The Majors come backstage to say that Taker is here (why didnt we see him walk in like Vickie?) so they move out. I really hope he doesnt kill Vickie, she's so good as a character.

Vickie calls for a standing ovation for Taker. She struggles out of the chair to say this, awesome. Taker is out, Vickie, after suggesting they "talk about it next week", splutters an apology, even getting down on her knees. Taker uses his best Batman voice to basically say "Nuh-uh biatch, I came for your soul!" Cue the 4-on-1 beatdown as Vickie escapes up the ramp. Is it bad that I actually wanted Edge to make the save? Taker eventually takes care of them all, I'm shocked I tells ya. He does the "You gon' die bitch" throat slit at Vickie to end the show. So he will kill Vickie. Not now, but soon.

Relative to Smackdown's abnormally high standards, that wasnt the best show. It felt like nothing happened. Shelton v Finlay was great, Maria v Nattie was surprisingly good (if short), but the other matches werent anything special, and the Scramble has exposed the roster completely. Kendrick and Shelton challenging HHH on PPV? As much as Kendrick is getting a push, and as much as Shelton is ON FIRE this month (and US Champ), it just looks bad. I'm willing to be proven wrong if this gets better, but watching them qualify (especially in the way that the first three did) made it look really weak. Furthermore, the Taker/Vickie situation isnt half as interesting without Edge, and as much as I dont like saying it, the show really, really, REALLY missed Edge.

Last edited:

Shaun2J

Subscriber
Taker voice seemed a bit different than normal.

Oh and Maria? Bronco Buster me!:lol: