• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 20th July 2007

Ratings
Preview:

UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: The CW at 8/7c

Getting an edge before the Bash
20th July 2007

Edge threw a bash of his own on the last SmackDown, but his July version of Mardi Gras came to an abrupt end when Kane showed up uninvited. The Big Red Machine is clearly winning the mind games, but who will emerge victorious in the party that truly matters: The Great American Bash?

Batista also got a head start on his Great American Bash match when he slapped The Great Khali during their contract signing. The giant threw the ringside stairs into the squared circle out of frustration, but they ended up by his feet along with chairs and a table, courtesy of The Animal. Will Batista continue to put the scare into The Great Khali as The Great American Bash approaches?

Also last week, Montel Vontavious Porter started taking steps to ensure the United States Championship will remain with him at the pay-per-view. After Hardy defeated Chris Masters, MVP distracted his Great American Bash opponent and set him up for a surprise Master Lock from behind. Does MVP have any more tricks up his sleeve for the next SmackDown?

Find out the answers to all of these questions and more. Watch the final Friday Night SmackDown before The Great American Bash at 10pm on Sky Sports 3.

Ratings
Spoilers:

Credit: lordsofpain.net

SmackDown eminates from the Laredo Entertainment center

1 Opening card has Sylvan Grenier beat some jobber guy. Good heat for his antics.

2. SmackDown opens up with Teddy Long introducing Edge for some major announcement. Edge comes out unusually heartbroken as he is about to surrender his belt via torn pectoral announcement. Edge babbles on as he is a true Canadian athlete and shows a video about his storied career. Teddy Long then forces him to surrender and Edge leaves and continues to look back at the belt. Long then announces that there will be a 20 man over the top battle royal to determine a new champion. That champion will defend the title at the GAB.

3. Two veteran babes lock up next as Victoria and Torrie go one on one. Some great action as Victoria nails her black widow finisher for the W.

4. The 20 man battle royal which included MVP, Finlay, Major Brothers, Duece an Dominoe, Kenny Dyksta, Matt Hardy, Jimmy Wang Yang, Pitbull Noble, Funaki, Dave Taylor, Khali, Mark Henry, Kane, and Batista. Last 3 men were Batista and Kane who were forcing each other out when Khali hoisted them both out to capture the title.

5. Matt Hardy and Kenny Dystra are next as the 2 young men hook up with a few good minutes of good action. Both men were in the battle royal earlier and were visibly hurt throughout the match. Matt gets good pops. MVP is shown in his locker room and calls Hardy lucky for his victory and cuts a promo on their match at GAB.

6. Teddy Long announces that Batista and Kane will meet for the #1 contenders match next. As the match between the 2 monsters are in progress, Khali comes in and pummels both men causing a double dq. Long comes out to comfront the new champ to tell him that his defense at the GAB will be a triple threat between him, Kane and Batista as the show ends!

Telf

Ratings
After reading something on the net last week about Edge injuring himself, i did think this announcement may have had something to do with it. It's sad for Smackdown fans, but more of a shame for him.

Now there's obviously a massive amount of people out there who are absolutely disgusted with Khali as champion; but if there's any time to give him the belt, then this is it. Once he's through with Batista and Kane (who i'm sure both won't beat him), there's no one else to go up against unless they bring a name over from Raw. Smackdown is desperately thin for main event babyfaces at the moment. Personally, i would consider shipping Lashley over to the blue team to take out Khali

Edge and Kane i was actually looking forward to. But the triple threat is bound to be sluggishly paced. Khali to retain without a doubt

Matt Hardy is definately deserving of a credible US title run. The only problem if he does take it on Sunday, is that he'll be taking it from the best heel on the show. There's no reason why Matt shouldn't win the US title from MVP, but i think it should be through a '3rd party' in a triple threat match or similar - just basically anything that keeps MVP ballin'

Ratings
There's no reason why Matt shouldn't win the US title from MVP, but i think it should be through a '3rd party' in a triple threat match or similar - just basically anything that keeps MVP ballin'
I agree whole-heartedly with that. That would kep MVP with some steam built and possibly even be a way to push him even closer to the World Title scene.

TPIB

Ratings
63 1
I think it was a good SmackDown!, granted it would've been better if WWE.com didn't spoil it for everyone. In any case, a pretty good SmackDown!, and like Rog said, it's a shame that Edge's injury had to make the show better. I can never take SmackDown! seriously. It's just so mundane all the time and pretty much the same, nonetheless, a good one this week.

Even though the crowd crapped all over Edge's speech, I enjoyed it (I even caught an Edge chant in there). The tribute video was "simply the best". With the exception of the song, the video did very well highlighting Edge's career to this point (even though it mainly focused on his World Title reigns). In any case, I look forward to Edge's return in November.

The battle royal was pretty good. You could tell that Khali (per usual) was completely lost in the ring during the match. It really shows how much Khali needs a "leader" in a match. Most of the time, you could see Khali just wandering/stumbling around. His World Title reign is going to be painful.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in the backstage segment with MVP (and Bretos), MVP had his 'controversial' tattoo conveniently covered up with a towel (I believe it's a Malcolm X tattoo).

On a side-note, when Kane and Batista were on the outside during their #1 Contender's Match, there was confetti all over the floor. When was there confetti used on the show? The only reason I could come up with is that they dropped it during the commercial break for Khali's title win.

wyndorf

Ratings
That had to be one of the most entertaining Battle Royal's I have ever seen. Even with the outcome spoiled by the Daily Star, I still found it compelling and exciting. Wonderful performance's by Hardy, MVP and Finlay made this fantastic.

Hardy vs Kenny was pretty good - and since Kenny is poop, Hardy gets the credit. Batista/Kane was OK. Edge's spiel at the top of the show was sleep inducing, mind.

DC

Ratings
539 2
The battle royal was pretty good. You could tell that Khali (per usual) was completely lost in the ring during the match. It really shows how much Khali needs a "leader" in a match. Most of the time, you could see Khali just wandering/stumbling around. His World Title reign is going to be painful.

When was there confetti used on the show?
It was a battle royal. There's not a lot to do but wander around until you get to the finish of the match.

As for the confetti, it was used during the opening of the show (you can see some fall at the entranceway right at the beginning).