Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 1st August 2008

What Did You Think of SmackDown #468?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Giant Center - Hershey, Pennsylvania

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
US: The CW at 8/7c

Undertaker Returns!
1st August 2008

After almost two months of speculation, the wait is over. Undertaker returns to WWE when he faces Edge in a Hell in a Cell Match at SummerSlam.

Each week, Edge's tumultuous relationship with SmackDown General Manager Vickie Guerrero has taken another twist. Will this turmoil favor Undertaker in his return to WWE, or will the Ultimate Opportunist find a way to get his jilted bride to do his bidding?

And, what about the rest of "The Family"? Will they continue to support Edge, or have they had enough of the on-again, off-again love saga? Also, what might wedding planner Alicia Fox have to say about her role in things?

The news that Guerrero re-instated The Phenom has surely drawn the attention of every Superstar within WWE. But, the first Superstars to take notice were most certainly those on the SmackDown roster who will come face-to-face with The Deadman on Friday nights, including WWE Champion Triple H. But before The Game has to contend with The Phenom, he'll be focused on his match against The Great Khali at SummerSlam.

And finally, now that Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder are the new WWE Tag Team Champions, what kind of "favors" might they get from the GM and the rest of "The Family" to protect their gold?

Find out the answers to all these questions and more on Friday Night SmackDown at 10pm on Sky Sports 3!

Black Knight

From WWE.com
The news that Guerrero re-instated The Phenom has surely drawn the attention of every Superstar within WWE. But, the first Superstars to take notice were most certainly those on the SmackDown roster who will come face-to-face with The Deadman on Friday nights, including WWE Champion Triple H. But before The Game has to contend with The Phenom, he’ll be focused on his match against The Great Khali at SummerSlam

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown from the Giant Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

* A WrestleMania XXIV video package is shown.

* Jim Ross & Mick Foley are out to a huge pop.

* The "Cutting Edge" will return tonight with an unannounced special guest.

* MVP has some words with Jeff Hardy at ringside.

* MVP b. Jimmy Wang Yang
- This was a squash match. MVP got the win via pinfall. After it was over Hardy attacked MVP for his comments he made last week.

* Ken Kennedy b. Shelton Benjamin
Kennedy got the win via pinfall in a non-title match.

* Brian Kendrick b. Stevie Richards
- Kendrick got the win via pinfall. The live crowd could have cared less.

* The Great Khali b. Jeff Hardy
MVP came out and distracted Hardy, which caused Khali to get the win. Lots of "you can't wrestle" chants.

* Maria b. Victoria
- This was Maria's SmackDown debut. She got the win via pinfall.

* Big Show b. Domino
- This was another squash match. Big Show got the win with a chokeslam. After the match Umaga comes out to the ring and has a staredown with Big Show.

* The Cutting Edge is up next with a special guest, Mick Foley. Edge has a table, ladder, and chair in the ring. Edge talks about his upcoming Hell in a Cell Match at SummerSlam against the Undertaker. He asks Mick for help. Mick denies and they begin fighting. Edge puts Foley on a table and climbs up the ladder with a chair. He jumps off onto Foley. The show goes off the air.
Dark Match:

* Funaki b. Nic "The Natural" Nemeth
- Funaki got the win via pinfall.

Shaun2J

Do what thou wilt
Subscriber
Ditto to what Jung said.

Seems like HHH wasn't there aswell which is understandable. I suppose some video package or something will appear.

Jimmy Redman

So...'Taker is back' is the recap story. My mother didnt mark out as much as I hoped, but she's delighted all the same.

Edge has an unknown special guest on the Cutting Edge. Which is the story for this week's show. Lets hope its better than the last surprise we had.

To start, Jeff Hardy comes out...to sit. I kinda wish they'd let him on commentary, just to see how he goes. He's a better talker than he used to be. And he cant be much worse than Foley, after all. Anywho, MVP comes out and rips into Jeff again, to no retort. "I pulled your coat", thats so street. He then goes over Jimmy Yang in quick time. Massively cool Shining Black to finish. After the match, Jeff comes in and tells MVP if he ever says another stupid worked-shoot word, he'll show him the kind of man he is. Angry Jeff! Woo! MVP comes with the right hand countered to a Twist of Fate, a "You make me sick!" and an extra boot for good measure. ANGRY JEFF! That ruled, that is exactly what this needed. Watch this.

They announce Jeff v Khali for later on (after earlier announcing Jeff v Edge for SNME), I smell some interference.

Backstage, Chavo wheels Vickie in, telling her he doesnt know who Edge's special guest is, and they spot the black chick. Before they can approach her, Bam cuts them off at the pass and directs them inside. I smell shenanigans.

KENNEDY! I quite like his music now. His shameless face pandering still seems oddly natural. Shelton comes out and I notice how loose the US belt looks on him, as Foley points out how well the US belt fits on him. OK. Good match, I liked the inescapable arm wrench of doom, I still love the Kennedy spinning kick, and I love the crowd loving Kennedy. Silly editing, there's no need to cut the actual match. Turned out to be a really good random TV match. Lots of working each other's shoulders. Kennedy clean with the Mic Check. Afterwards Eve interviews Shelton and he said he had severe bronchitis, complete with a little cough on the way out. Good stuff, Shelton needs to be more of a heel.

Backstage, Hawkins and Ryder are backstage listening to their new theme song ringtones. I love the ringtone advertising going on. Chavo comes up and asks who Edge's special guest is, they dont know.

Kendrick! He cuts a good promo about how he never cared about the fans, or London, and he's always been like this, basically. A much better promo. Urgh, Richards. We're still in Pennsylvania, I guess. Really good, short match. I loved Richards kicking Kendrick into Ezekiel's arms. I was about to say that I love them not using Ezekiel yet. He's a big man, you dont want to mess with him, but you dont know just how much, yet. And then they go ahead and have him beat up Richards post-match. Head-desk. I also dislike the changing of 'Sliced Bread No. 2', considering the name is apt for his delusional character. Foley p*ssed me off during this match, I dont like him burying Londrick, as well as saying for the past two weeks that "I knew he was bad all along!" even though there was no evidence for that and it nullified Kendrick's big announcement this week. Meh.

Backstage, Edge is backstage. The end.

Khali and Jeffster. JR is busting out Jeff nicknames by the second during this match. 'Prince of Risk' I like. I also liked his "You'll never break Jeff Hardy's spirit" line (watch ECW). Dare I say it, but Khali has actually improved quite a bit. He completely worked over Jeff for most of the match, and he appeared to know exactly what he was doing, it was good. Loved the chop to the floor. The whole rest of the match after the commercial was ace. The Whisper in the Wind looked great, really connected. Jeff is also bleeding hardway on his shoulder. It sounds obvious, but Jeff is a massively good seller. He sold the TRAPEZIUS SQUEEZE OF DOOM better than anyone, ditto for the Head Squeeze of DOOM. I smelt interference, and I smelt right. Really fun stuff, that ending. Khali waving at MVP all "I got it brother" and signalling the Head Squeeze was great, like I said, Khali is so much better than he was.

R-Truth promo. I missed last week's one. Not bad but not very interesting, and R-Truth is a horrible name.

Maria! She finally found her way to Smackdown. Please, not Maryse. Anyone but Maryse. VICTORIA!! OMG OMG. Forget Maria, VICTORIA IS BACK! Smackdown just automatically became ten times more awesome. "Welcome to Smackdown!" "Get out of my ring!" Victoria rules, just rules. Foley goes completely batsh*t and says "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" for absolutely no reason, which JR rightly ignores. Maria's offense was meh, but the match was decent. And it doesnt matter how many times Victoria gets pinned, she's still awesome. In conclusion, VICTORIA.

Backstage, Edge is backstage with black chick. He tells her he doesnt want her backstage, instead she should have used the ticket he bought her. Black chick is now making girly, infatuated, dazzling eyes at Edge, which means I'm now completely confused.

Big Show comes to the ring. He's next. He goes over Domino. Domino is quite the entertaining jobber. He's also really big for a jobber. He was always the better talker out of the D&D duo. Post-match, UMAGA comes out, circles around Show, and leaves. It was a very Umaga-like thing to do, I like it. The prospect of this match isnt so great, but whatever.

Backstage, Vickie, Chavo and Bam are backstage. They're still trying to figure out Edge's special guest. Its next. There's still over 20 minutes to go, this will be a long segment.

TLC gear in the ring, Edge seems to have confused his gimmick matches. Edge was on fire here. He sat on the chair in the ring, and looked and sounded like he was slowly but surely going insane, it was great. He explained the TLC stuff well too. When he started on about Taker I knew he'd point at Foley, and he did. Foley cut a massive, MASSIVELY good promo. Really great promo. Reminds you just how good he was, and makes you wonder how he can be so bad at commentary. Edge was in tears, literally. Edge's reaction was great. Foley getting so much offense in and almost no-selling the spear was fail though. Putting Foley through the table was cool. Great, great segment and it made absolute sense. It was the best thing they could possibly have done with no HHH or Taker. WATCH THIS.

Really great Smackdown, once again. Six matches, a couple of quite good ones, and the great ending segment. Again, it was really great considering they had no HHH and no Taker, whatsoever.

Last edited:

Phil

Again, it was really great considering they had no HHH and no Taker, whatsoever.

Hopefully McMahon will realise this and try giving some of his other talent some more time to develop into main eventers.

Al Stevens

Damn that is how you build up a match, I think i am more interested in seeing the Hell in a Cell match more now. Also ten years later JR's call from KOTR still sends shivers down my spine

Fiona

I didn't think that this weeks show was that fantastic. The ending with Foley going through the table was okay but most of the matches were meh.

Best match of the night was Kennedy/Benjamin. Since the draft Smackdown has kind of been substandard. Definitely HHH and Taker are the two best and carrying the show.

Raw got the best of the draft for sure and Smackdown has to find a way to get back on par. They have enough talent but most of the matches lack substance imo.

The best thing on Smackdown right now is Vicki G. but now that the Edge story line has seemed to run it's course even that is losing ground.

cenarules

Damn that is how you build up a match, I think i am more interested in seeing the Hell in a Cell match more now. Also ten years later JR's call from KOTR still sends shivers down my spine
I feel the same way, man. The Cutting Edge was the best part of the show tonight and both Edge and Foley put a lot of intensity into what they had to say. I now expect Foley to come back next week and talk about how he is glad to see that the Edge he fought at WrestleMania 22 is seemingly back.

DC

Raw got the best of the draft for sure and Smackdown has to find a way to get back on par. They have enough talent but most of the matches lack substance imo.
I don't agree that RAW got the best of the draft.

RAW
CM Punk
Batista
Michael Cole
Kofi Kingston
Deuce
Chuck Palumbo
Jamie Noble
Kane
Layla
Matt Striker
Rey Mysterio

Smackdown
Triple H
Jim Ross
Shelton Benjamin
Mr. Kennedy
Big Daddy V
Umaga
Brian Kendrick
Jeff Hardy
Maria
Carlito

The names in italics are the ones I feel have added to their new brands so far. IMO, Smackdown got the bigger names and have done more with their new wrestlers.

Jimmy Redman

Yeah, for the first time ever, Smackdown actually got the long end of the stick, so to speak, but Raw has been so good as a show since the Draft its been almost unnoticable.

Fiona

I don't agree that RAW got the best of the draft.

RAW
CM Punk
Batista
Michael Cole
Kofi Kingston
Jamie Noble
Kane
Rey Mysterio

Smackdown
Triple H
Jim Ross
Shelton Benjamin
Mr. Kennedy
Umaga
Jeff Hardy

The names in italics are the ones I feel have added to their new brands so far. IMO, Smackdown got the bigger names and have done more with their new wrestlers.
I know you disagree DC but I stick with my opinion whether you like it or not. I have removed the names from your list that don't really mean anything as these people have done not much.

Smackdown is a different beast the show has a completely different feel to it than Raw. Can't explain it maybe it's because Raw is live and the energy level seemed higher.

Also the Vicki/Edge drama was part of the glue that held the show together. Now that's gone and they don't seem to have found anything to replace it.

DC

I know you disagree DC but I stick with my opinion whether you like it or not. I have removed the names from your list that don't really mean anything as these people have done not much.
You're allowed to have a difference of opinion, so there's no liking or disliking involved.

I am curious, however, why you left Rey Mysterio's name in the quote when he has done next to nothing since his switch, yet have removed Brian Kendrick from the Smackdown list when he has done far more since his move.

Do you honestly feel that Rey Mysterio has done more that Brian Kendrick post-Draft? Or was it to justify your opinion with the amount of names in each list; that you had to have more names on the RAW side than on the Smackdown side?
Also the Vicki/Edge drama was part of the glue that held the show together. Now that's gone and they don't seem to have found anything to replace it.
When did the Vickie/Edge storyline come to an end? As far as I can see it's still ongoing, what with Vickie booking the Summerslam match between Edge and Undertaker as part of her revenge.

Last edited:

Fiona

You're allowed to have a difference of opinion, so there's no liking or disliking involved.

I am curious, however, why you left Rey Mysterio's name in the quote when he has done next to nothing since his switch, yet have removed Brian Kendrick from the Smackdown list when he has done far more since his move.

Do you honestly feel that Rey Mysterio has done more that Brian Kendrick post-Draft? Or was it to justify your opinion with the amount of names in each list; that you had to have more names on the RAW side than on the Smackdown side?When did the Vickie/Edge storyline come to an end? As far as I can see it's still ongoing, what with Vickie booking the Summerslam match between Edge and Undertaker as part of her revenge.
I'm not getting defensive at all. I left Mysterio's name on there because he is capable of doing more than Kendrick imo. He is a crowd favourite and Kendrick isn't. Mysterio will fill more seats than Kendrick would. I don't care about the amount of names on the list I didn't bother to count. I was looking at the people who are better known. Who cares about Palumbo and Duece and the others I deleted they are fillers and don't add to the show imo.

The Vicki/Edge angle was much more prevalent in the last few weeks. She is still the GM and will continue to make matches and hopefully life miserable for Edge for awhile. Sure she's out for revenge and that's a good thing. The last few months the show has all but centered around the two of them now that the focus has been taken off them it's beginning to show just how lacklustre Smackdown can be.

EDIT: And losing most of their biggest names in the draft didn't help.

Last edited:

DC

I'm not getting defensive at all. I left Mysterio's name on there because he is capable of doing more than Kendrick imo. He is a crowd favourite and Kendrick isn't. Mysterio will fill more seats than Kendrick would. I don't care about the amount of names on the list I didn't bother to count. I was looking at the people who are better known. Who cares about Palumbo and Duece and the others I deleted they are fillers and don't add to the show imo.
You used the phrase "done not much" in regards to the names you removed. Rey has had one (squash-) match since his switch, while Kendrick has had a gimmick change and is being pushed at present.

I assumed by your comment (and that we were talking about the shows post-draft) that you were meaning who had done something since the talent changed brands.

If not, then I can see your way of thinking, but the original debate was about who got the better deal from the draft (so far), and using the two names being debated right now, Smackdown has done more with Kendrick than RAW has with Rey.

Jimmy Redman

Yeah, saying Kendrick hasnt 'done much' and Rey has is mind-boggling.

And, I mean you know me, I like Cole more than most people going, but how exactly has Michael Cole added to Raw? The Raw call is poorer without JR, and JR and Foley is better than Cole and Foley.

Jung

And losing most of their biggest names in the draft didn't help.
Biggest names? Who?

They lost Batista and Rey (who hadn't even been around since February anyway)

They gained HHH, Umaga, Jeff Hardy, Kennedy.

Thus I'm totally confused as to how they've got the poor end of the deal?

Fiona

You used the phrase "done not much" in regards to the names you removed. Rey has had one (squash-) match since his switch, while Kendrick has had a gimmick change and is being pushed at present.

I assumed by your comment (and that we were talking about the shows post-draft) that you were meaning who had done something since the talent changed brands.

If not, then I can see your way of thinking, but the original debate was about who got the better deal from the draft (so far), and using the two names being debated right now, Smackdown has done more with Kendrick than RAW has with Rey.
Yes I'm talking about post draft. Before the draft Smackdown was the better show in my opinion.

I don't disagree that SD has done more with Kendrick than Raw has done with Mysterio. That's because Mysterio has been conspicuously absent since the draft. When he comes back I think they will find a lot to do with him.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think my head will explode. I stated my opinion as I see it. I used to think Smackdown had the better lineup not anymore. Raw has been much better to watch the last few weeks. That's the way I see it right now. If I'm wrong then so be it. I think it boils down to personal taste.

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

Yes I'm talking about post draft. Before the draft Smackdown was the better show in my opinion.

I don't disagree that SD has done more with Kendrick than Raw has done with Mysterio. That's because Mysterio has been conspicuously absent since the draft. When he comes back I think they will find a lot to do with him.
But its not because Smackdown has got any worse, its because Raw has been at an unusually high standard the past month or so. Its totally down to the Draft or the personnel either, its to do with the title change and generally the good TV they're putting out; out of the Draftees, Punk and Batista are the only ones who've made a substantial difference on Raw.

And how can you say that Mysterio has been a better Draft than Kendrick based on what he could do in the future? It hasnt happened! Being 'conspicuously absent' isnt exactly a good thing!