Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

***SmackDown Discussion Thread - 16th January 2008***

What Did You Think of SmackDown #492?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Qwest Center - Omaha, Nebraska
Tuesday 13th January

TV Schedule:
Friday 16th January
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm
USA: MyNetwork TV at 8/7c

WWE comes to The Qwest Center with a double taping of Friday Night SmackDown as the road to The Royal Rumble continues

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown at the Qwest Center in Omaha, Nebraska.

SmackDown: (Airing This Friday)
* SmackDown opens with Triple H & Vickie Guerrero.

* Matt Hardy & Finlay b. Jack Swagger & Mark Henry
- Hardy got the win via pinfall on Jack Swagger after hitting Twist of Fate.

* R-Truth b. The Brian Kendrick
- R-Truth gets a big pop. After the match Ezekiel Jackson attacks Truth.

* MVP b. The Big Show
- MVP got the win after Triple H hit Big Show with a sledgehammer.

* Michelle McCool b. Victoria
- After the match Victoria announces her retirement from WWE.

* The Cutting Edge is up next. Edge invites out Jeff Hardy. As he enters his pyro blows up in his face and he is stretchered out (obviously a work). This ends this week’s edition of SmackDown.
Dark Match:

* Kung Fu Naki b. Ryan Braddock
- Typical slow dark match. Fu Naki gets the win a kick.

Phil

ok I should have read this one first, that explains why Jeff isn't on the other show.

That MVP match sounds crap, they finally have him win and he can't do it without HHH's help, what a waste to an potentially good angle.

Jayfunk

I love the fact they are booking an already weak champion jeff hardy really weakly

ScottyB

This weeks show looks awesome.

MVP winning, exploding pyro, leaving divas/

Jimmy Redman

This episode of Smackdown is dedicated to the memory of the career of Victoria: 2002-2009.

*sniff*

I can do this. I can do this.

We begin with much less important matters, like Stone Cold being run over. Remember folks, Jeff will be here toonight. On the Cutting Edge, as it turns out. I imagine this will be a lot of "You ran me over" "No I didnt" arguing. I cant wait.

To open, VICKIE GUERRERO is in the ring. That sure is a good start. She gloats about how she showed HHH for being hilariously mean last week. Yeah, he jobbed out three guys and barely lost to another, only to walk out the next week looking completely unscathed. That sure learned him Vickie. HHH comes out with an envelope, and Stevie Wonder saw what was happening from here. He comes out and apologises for being hilariously mean, very insincerely. Shades of Michelle McCool. He hands over the photos, after some trademark hilarity. Vickie is all "f*ck your apology bitch" and puts him in another Last Man Standing match with Show, with his Rumble spot on the line. Great. As Vickie leaves HHH shows the photos on the tron anyway, censored of course. Hilarious. In turn, Vickie takes HHH out of the match, and someone else will fight for his Rumble place instead. MVP~! Ahahaha Vickie is a genius. I cant wait for the main event now.

In other news, Taker is comingo out for his annual promo, he has an 'Edict' scheduled. OK.

In what has to be a first, we have an ECW Rebound~! The reason for this is much clearer as the NEW ECW CHAMPION Swagger is in the ring, along with the big man, Mark Henry! Matt, Finlay. Decent tag stuff before break. Swagger avoids Matt and the heels work Finlay over. Eventually we have a hot tag, and Matt clears house on Swagger before TONY ATLAS THROWS HORNSWOGGLE INTO THE RING AT MATT. That was the greatest use of a foreign object ever. Whole bunch of shenanigans leading into Matt Twisting of Fating Swagger for the win. Fun stuff. By the way, that rematch is booked for the Rumble.

Backstage, Chavo brings Show in to talk to Vickie and Edge. He brags about winning the Rumble and stirs sh*t with Edge. Still, why? Show leaves, Chavo says something like "Oh snap!" So Edge kicks him out. Four heels, all fighting with one another. Why?

Backstage, Kendrick disses R-Truth. Then Zeke is all "Thats whats up." PWNED.

Backstage, Todd is with MICHELLE MCCOOL! They show a replay of her heelness. Michelle says Maria and Eve are jealous of her, that kind of thing. She also challenges Maryse, who presumably is still injured. VICTORIA COMES UP AND GETS IN HER FACE! So they are going to wrestle. Why is it all over so soon? I am not ready for this.

Backstage, MVP shadow boxes and HHH tells him rather sternly that he had better win. MVP > HHH.

R-Truth comes out rapping, and we break. Kendrick comes out in a lovely new red jacket. JR basically asks why a brick sh*thouse like Zeke would waste his time valeting a cruiserweight. Hilarious. Now, maybe my emotions are getting to me, maybe Kendrick is just really good, but I actually enjoyed that match. Decent stuff for 5 odd minutes, before Truth hits his two moves for the win. Zeke uranages him. I thought they were still feuding with the Colons? I'm confused. Anyway, it was a decent short match.

Backstage, HHH is still giving MVP a pep talk. So it seems when he promos for 20 minutes on TV, its a case of art imitating backstage life. He threatens him with the sledgehammer. Nice guy that he is. Apparently that match is NEXT.

Show comes out MVP WITH A CHAIR IN THE AISLE! YES! MVP kills him with like half a dozen chair shots, then Show kills him with a punch to the chair. MVP then pursues a policy of running. He bumps out of the ring and runs around avoiding him, and keeps getting caught and getting squashed. A fairly loud 'MVP' chant breaks out just before the break. Back, Show keeps killing MVP with stuff, and he keeps getting up. More 'MVP' chants. MVP is up one more time on the ramp and SLAPS SHOW! WOOO! Show is pissed. Suplex on the ramp. MVP is up at 9 to a big pop. This is fantastic booking. They fight over the stage, Show has MVP up for the Chokeslam but HHH comes out and SLEDGEHAMMERS HIM! They're down! GET UP! GET UP! HE'S UP! MVP WINS! MVP! That was a huge pop. Apart from the fact that HHH was told not to interfere, and he, uh, interfered, that was fantastic. MVP rules.

Backstage, Vickie is pissed so she sends Chavo to collect Da Game. Edge says something. The best thing about this segment is that I noticed that Vickie has her Slammy in her office, flanked by her's, Edge's and Chavo's action figures. That is awesome.

Taker delivers his Edict in a pre-tape. It was what you can imagine a Taker Rumble promo is. A lot of other guys in the Rumble flashed up on the screen (I hope TPIB is watching) with Kane being the last. Conspiracy theorists begin.

Because God hates me, in checking the cricket score my mother inadvertantly made me miss the first part of Michelle and Victoria. I'll have to watch the replay. OK, having seen the replay, we come back from the break with both Michelle and Victoria in the ring. JR announces that its her last match. No biggie. Michelle slaps her to start, then runs out of the ring. Shades of MVP. Victoria is pissed, and I'm also pissed. Considering they had a month or so's warning, it would have been easy to turn Victoria to go against Michelle before retiring, therefore giving her some heat and a decent sendoff. Never mind. Tazz: "It isnt that easy to get a pin on Victoria." Yeah, every female every week since April has found it extremely difficult. Pretty good match actually. Victoria attacks and hits the standing moonsault before Michelle works the leg. Single-leg Boston Crab. HEEL HOOK OF DOOM! DONT TAP! She doesnt. That has to be the first failure of the Heel Hook of Doom. Victoria teases the Widow's Peak, which does get a bit of a pop, before Michelle reverses into the Styles Clash to pin Victoria and crush my wrestling dreams. Michelle stands around for a second before we cut back to...

..HHH and Vickie. Thats an Impact level of stupid production. She tells him he's out, he's like "Nuh uh bitch, I wasnt technically at ringside", and therefore he wins. The f*ck kind of authority figure are you? And the f*ck is the point of having top face v heel GM if the face always wins? HHH always wins everything, and even when you think he loses, he wins anyway. He's like the WWE's Main Event Mafia. I am super drained after watching Victoria retire, and now I'm just pissed about everything.

Edge is out for the Cutting Edge. Break. He talks about Jeff's black cloud and 'I will win the WWE Title' and etc., and shows a Rated-R-endorsed video package. He says he didnt run over Stone Cold. Jeff comes out, and his pyro hits him in the face and he collapses. Actually he bumps for the pyro. EMTs, Jimmy Yang, Helms and Truth come out, Jeff is wheeled away on a stretcher. Edge and Vickie look on. I notice no Matt, even though he wrestled on the show. If it turned out to be him and not Christian, it would rule. Anyway, end show.

MVP beating Show was the one shining light in an otherwise average show. I mean, on average Smackdown is pretty good, and it was, it just wasnt anything special. Triple H overload is uninspiring to watch, to say the least.

And Victoria leaving like that just depressed the hell out of me, to say the least. I mean, I wasnt exactly expecting Trish Stratus, but it was all too sudden, when they could have done at least a bit more. She's the biggest modern-era star outside of Trish and Lita (a very distant third, but third nonetheless), and an almost seven year veteran. It was just a bit underwhelming. I dont want to be over like that.

Still, I'm glad that we got to see Victoria do the job one last time. Nobody ever did it better.

I'm gonna miss you dude.

EDIT: Watching the replay, my brother just told me all "This is the end of the old-school wrestlers. Victoria is gone and you're left with...Michelle, and Maryse."

He said that like it was a bad thing.

Last edited:

The Icon

I kind of enjoyed SD this week. It was fairly enjoyable. So no WM send off for Victoria?

Cathal

Edge is out for the Cutting Edge. Break. He talks about Jeff's black cloud and 'I will win the WWE Title' and etc., and shows a Rated-R-endorsed video package. He says he didnt run over Stone Cold. Jeff comes out, and his pyro hits him in the face and he collapses. Actually he bumps for the pyro. EMTs, Jimmy Yang, Helms and Truth come out, Jeff is wheeled away on a stretcher. Edge and Vickie look on. I notice no Matt, even though he wrestled on the show. If it turned out to be him and not Christian, it would rule. Anyway, end show.
You probably missed it but Matt did actually come out to check on him.

TPIB

Yeah, the big pop you heard after a little while was Matt coming out.

I think McCool is hotter as a heel (in more ways than one).

I think it's funny how little detail the spoilers have anymore. "SmackDown opens with Triple H & Vickie Guerrero"- what were they doing? Staring at each other in the ring? Dancing? Discussing politics? I guess to him Triple H + Vickie= Bathroom Time.

I miss Maryse. Come back Maryse!

For whatever reason, it annoys me that McCool is using the Styles Clash. They have given it their own name, but I still refuse to call it anything but the Styles Clash. Maybe I'm annoyed by it because of the contrast between AJ Styles, a great and talented performer and Michelle McCool- a Diva. Who knows?

Last edited:

Jimmy Redman

I choose not to be cynical about Michelle's Styles Clash. One of my favourite wrestlers is using one of the coolest moves for a finish. Sure she doesnt do it as well as AJ, but I dont expect her to. I have no problems.

Although I choose not to be cynical about Michelle period, and I know a lot of others dont.

EDIT: Having watched the match for the third time (shut up), I remembered something which I didnt mention in my post, or didnt emphasise enough, between everything else. But Michelle v Victoria was actually a damn good match. One of Michelle's best without a doubt. Funny what happens when you have a solid, even match with sound psychology. And when you give Victoria some offense.

Last edited:

DarkMatchJobber

Out of interest did anybody use the Styles Clash before AJ did?

Also another last man standing match within a week of a previous one,talk about overkill!

etz

Frankly, I hate the Styles Clash. Even when AJ does it, it just looks...pedestrian. Horrible move and an even more horrible finisher. Much better from the second rope.

Last edited:

DraVen

The Styles Clash isn't the best move in the world, but AJ tries with it. Michelle is just sh*t and I do what I do with CM Punk and actually turn the TV over when she's on, so I haven't seen her version and probably never will. But I imagine it's awful.

DC

Out of interest did anybody use the Styles Clash before AJ did?
Not that I'm aware of. He says he invented it by accident when he botched a powerbomb lift on a friend (or something like that).

Al Stevens

Not that I'm aware of. He says he invented it by accident when he botched a powerbomb lift on a friend (or something like that).
I think the story goes him and his mate was messing around on the trampoline and his friend wanted to do a power bomb and he couldn't really do one on him and he developed the styles clash

Twig

The Styles Clash isn't the best move in the world, but AJ tries with it. Michelle is just sh*t and I do what I do with CM Punk and actually turn the TV over when she's on, so I haven't seen her version and probably never will. But I imagine it's awful.
It looks... deflated. Plus she doesn't turn them over for the pin with her legs, which I think is what really makes the move.

Victoria's farewell video:
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/divas/2009/january15-21/9150890

Last edited:

Nemesis Enforcer

JR's comments about Victoria from his blog:

- I wish the WWE had a better opportunity to acknowledge Victoria wrestling her last match with the company this past Friday night on Smackdown. I had no clue that Victoria was having her last match until I arrived in Omaha the day of the event. Victoria has been one of the hardest working women in show business and worked diligently to perfect her in ring skills. I hope all the younger 8X10 type Divas will work as diligently as Victoria in learning their craft. Victoria had the challenge over the years with wrestling many Divas with far less in ring talent than did she but Victoria always made things work. I have great respect for her work ethic and her love of the business and wish her well in the next phase of her life. She had already started to get involved in other businesses over the past few years and she deserves nothing but happiness and success. Her exotic look always made my old heart beat a little faster. Hey, just because a happily married man is on a diet doesn't mean he can't look at the menu.