Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 10th October 2008

What Did You Think of SmackDown #478?

• Total voters

FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:
The Spokane Arena - Spokane, Washington

TV Schedule:
UK: Sky Sports 3 at 11pm
USA: MyNetwork TV at 8/7c

The fallout from the No Mercy PPV
Matches:

World Heavyweight Title Match:
Triple H (Champion) Vs Big Show

Last edited:

FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:
wrestlezone.com

- Vicky and Chavo Guerrero begin the show in the ring in her wheel chair wearing the neck brace. The crowd is drowning them out as they are talking about Undertaker's loss to the Big Show. Big show comes out and talks about beating taker, and a video is shown from No Mercy. Big show talks about facing Triple H, Vladimer comes out saying he should get a shot. Big Show threatens him and Vladimer leaves.

- Brie Bella defeated Natalia (with Victoria) with help from Hornswoggle.

- R Truth promo with funaki, we learn Funaki's real name.. cut to Triple H texting - Hardy comes in says he wants winner of Triple H vs. Big Show.

- R Truth d. Shelton Benjamin in a short match.

- Jeff Hardy defeated MVP with a swanton bomb but Kozlov came out and delivers a head butt of doom on him then stands over Hardy.

- Special ring announcer Maria. Carlito and Primo Colon and Jesse and Festus defeated Curt Hawkins, Kurt Ryder, Kenny Dystrka and Ryan Braddock. Fetus with the flapjack for the win.

- The Great Khali vs. 3 jobbers. Khali wins. Khali does kiss cam. He picks a bigger girl from the audience and asked her how much she weighed.

- Triple H brought back the kiss cam girl and brought her in the ring.

- Triple H vs. The Big Show ended in a no contest. Lights go out and taker shows battles show to the back. Kozlov comes down attacks and head butt of doom on Hunter. Jeff Hardy comes to make the save and they take out Kozlov. Hardy then delivers a twist of fate on Hunter.

DC

Maybe the much-mooted Pro-Life/Pro-Choice tag-team has been commisioned by creative. Dr. Abortion and Fetus to win the WWE Tag Titles by the year's end.

MastersGonads

Maybe the much-mooted Pro-Life/Pro-Choice tag-team has been commisioned by creative. Dr. Abortion and Fetus to win the WWE Tag Titles by the year's end.
As if they would defeat Johnny Condom & Miss Underage :rolleyes2:

Nemesis Enforcer

It would be awesome if WWE did sign up the Pro-Life/Pro-Choice Connection from ESW (Extremely Strange Wrestling) seeing The Abortionist and Cletus The Fetus together again in a WWE ring would be brilliant :lol:

Cathal

R-Truth did his first interview with his new gimmick, which is that he tells the truth and says things that WWE has been hiding. In this episode he says Funaki’s real name. I don’t know whether they’ll do it or not, but the idea was that Truth would go on TV and say that HHH and Stephanie are married and he’s Vince’s son-in-law, and things like that.
Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The Beltster

Wow, he'd really be spilling the beans with that bombshell! He should tell truths that would mean something, like that pat Patterson tells young wrestlers if they want to get over they have to give him head and that Vince McMahon is/was a steroid and coke freak.

THAT would make for more interesting SmackDown!

Jayfunk

Wow, he'd really be spilling the beans with that bombshell! He should tell truths that would mean something, like that pat Patterson tells young wrestlers if they want to get over they have to give him head and that Vince McMahon is/was a steroid and coke freak.

THAT would make for more interesting SmackDown!
No he wouldn't drop that bombshell, besides how do you think a lower card TNA wrestler got signed with the WWE?

Jimmy Redman

After the new entrance (its still awful), we open Smackdown with...with...with a replay of Taker and the Big f*cking Show. Do they hate me? Seriously?

Luckily, we go from the lowest of the low to the hottest of the heat: the one, the only, VICKIE GUERRERO, back from the dead! I really have missed Vickie. Yes, I know she was only absent for a week. Vickie is thoroughly disgusted with you all. God she's good. On the bad side, she announces that Show gets a title shot "toonight". Hmm, rewarding sh*tness with a title push. I thought Kozlov had that locked down. Even worse, she brings the Big Show out to speak. He redeems a point for doing his best Smilin' Mark Henry impression on the way down. And really, it wasnt the worst promo he's done recently, however much that is saying. But he kills any kind of sympathy I ever had when he shows another motherf*cking replay of No Mercy. Thats two already in the first 5 minutes. If they're going to show another 75 replays like the past 3 weeks I am seriously going to gouge my eyes out, which incidentally, is what watching these things over and over actually feels like. F*ck you, Show. Show another replay and I'll kill you. Anymawho, grevious bodily harm aside, Show talks about HHH, which brings out...Kozlov! Oh man, Big Show, Kozlov and Chavo all in the ring together. It makes me want to vomit. Are there any three guys around that I hate more? Kozlov challenges toonight's winner. Unbelievable. Show says "At least I'm an American!" which elicits a face pop and a "USA" chant. They are THAT desperate to get the guy some heel heat. F*ck me.

HOLY JESUS CHRIST. To elucidate, we have Brie Cheese coming to the ring, and going against Natalya w/ VICTORIA. OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD. Yes. VICTORIA is ringside, yes. Brie and Nattie have a decent 2 minute match. Brie failed at a cross body, but Nattie killed her with a clothesline to even the points up. Soon after, Brie falls outside, right in front of VICTORIA. As she crawls under VICTORIA holds on, and goes halfway under the ring, before coming out looking like she's seen a ghost. A very scary ghost. Enter, Hornswoggle! Ahahahaha, Christ this is good. He jumps on her and chases her around ringside and up the ramp. Awesome. Meanwhile, "Brie" pokes her head out from under the ring on the ramp side, and smiles at Nattie. She then disappears again and reappears on the opposite side in about 1.3 seconds. JR goes "What?" and Tazz goes "W-oh, I already used that. The point is, this is awesome. Camembert swerves us all again by this time using a Crucifix Pin for the win. This. Sh*t. Is. AWESOME. This is my favourite angle since God knows when. I'm certainly staggered that they continue to slow burn this mother properly. But that was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Backstage, Funaki is still alive and backstage! He's practicing his catchphrase, when R-Truth comes backstage. They chat, eventually Truth asks Funaki his real name, which turns out to be Kung Fu Naki. Geddit. I'll admit, I laughed. Truth then sings Funaki a song to the tune of "Kung Fu Fighting". This was a lot more fun than it might sound.

Backstage, HHH is elsewhere backstage, playing a Gameboy. Well it looks like a DS to me, but its probably a phone. You kids and your new technology. Wait, did I just call HHH a kid? Ahaha, next thing it'll be HBK! Aha ha ha. AnyWHO, Jeff comes in and sits down all smooth like (really) and blows HHH a little. He wishes him luck, walks away, BUT comes back and goes a bit heely on his ass, challenging toonight's winner. So now, conveniently enough, there are three challengers for HHH in Cyber Sunday month.

Truth comes out rapping as we go to break. Back, Shelton cuts a titon tron promo and comes out to face him. Sounds oddly familiar. They have a decent, short match. Truth does his flying corkscrew and ends up landing on Shelton as well. There is a "Wassup" chant, which is a good sign for him. Truth gets the "shock" win with a strange rollup, in which he was almost pinned himself. Shelton has a great look on his face here. He'll get a title shot soon as they cant drag this on too much longer.

Jeff Hardy v MVP is next. Sounds good.

Jeff comes out. MVP comes out, and as he does Gregory Helms pops up and says "Please win a match!" So more worked-shoot-y stuff. JR plays it like he's frustrated because he's one win away from a big money bonus, or some such rubbish. They trade holds and pins, which is good, Jeff goes for an extremely premature Swanton so MVP makes himself scarce. We break. Back, and straight up MVP counters the corner mule kick, which sends Jeff flying. That was cool. We have a good 10ish minute match. Finish is Jeff hitting two mule kicks in retaliation, before a Swanton. So, so sensible. Oh man, he's standing there for far too long, Kozlov is coming. Damn, I assume right. They really must hate me. What the hell did I ever do to them? We trade punches (and by that I mean there was two punches), Irish whip, cross body attempt into Headbutt of DOOM. I feel weird calling it a Headbutt of DOOM. DOOM moves are supposed to be good. So, Kozlov pwns Jeff. I seem to remember that happening before, somewhere. They seriously have to use the cheapest of cheap heat tricks ("USA") and have him beatdown their two most popular guys every week, just to get him over, and its still not working, because he's not over. This is utter bullsh*t.

Maria! She's ring announcing, apparently. She walks out to the ramp and she's already a better ring announcer than Torrie Wilson. God damn that woman killed my ears. Maria doesnt really have an announcing voice. Its Biscuits and Gravy, with I assume the Colons, against I assume the Majors and Kenny and the other guy they kidnapped, and I assume right. At least they're all still alive. It is, though, a crying shame that Kenny is stuck with these guys, because they're all awful and he's at least slightly not. Helms pops up and says something uninteresting. As Festus entered the ring he sidled up to Maria very closely. Easy big fella. Carlito gets a little heat to start, before he tags to Festus who kills Kenny. Straigh to the finish, we cluster with Carlito taking Braddock out and stereo suicide dives by the little 'uns before a Gravy Flapjack (yum) for the win. Fun enough. Afterwards, Festus goes ringside and sidles up to Maria again. Right, Gravy likes Maria. Thats either the worst idea ever, or the greatest idea ever, I'm not sure yet.

We have the one and only Great Khali with Onion Singh in the ring, along with three jobbers. Khali must be hungry. Singh recaps the Knoxville thing and the kissing Lillian thing. Lillian is underrated. Anywho, Singh says that there'll be another kiss cam after the win. The bell rings, and two of the three jobbers run out of the ring, hilariously leaving one jobber. He gets CHOPPED TO DOOM! and pinned with a boot. Brilliance. Now, we have a kiss cam which by their definition is an audition to kiss Khali! We end up with some fat ranga (ginger) chick, who comes in the ring. Ahahahahaha he's refusing! Ahahaha Jesus, he's laughing and refusing to kiss the ugly chick. This is brilliance. Eventually he does kiss her, to a big face pop. He's smiling. Oh my God, Khali is the best babyface EVER.

We replay Kozlov killing Jeff just now (replays, replays, f*cking REPLAYS!) and announce that NEXT WEEK, its Jeff v Kozlov. FIIIIIIIINALLY. Christ in Heaven. We go backstage, to Kozlov. "ADSFLDJFHFGG, next week, I crush Jeff Hardy." This is the second time he's spoken toonight, and the THIRD time he's appeared toonight. This is UNACCEPTABLE. Why Smackdown? Why do you hate me? Is it the reviews? Is it because I wont watch your Big Show replays? Is it because I dislike HHH? Is it because I hate Kozlov and his stupid push? What is it? I can change, I promise! I'll do anything. Just stop torturing me with Vladimir f*cking Kozlov. And replays. Please.

Da Game and Show come out for your main event, with the cool title match introductions. Oh my GOD. HHH is as orange as Hogan, no lie. And just as stale. That looks ridiculous. Anywho, we have a short, decent big man match. I've never got used to seeing HHH as the small underdog, but there you go. They cut out a bit of the match too, for what reason I dont know. To end, Show hits a Chokeslam and is extremely slow to actually get down and pin HHH, which means BONG! The lights go off and on, and Taker is in the ring! Woah! Taker kills him with punches, Show tumbles out. The lights are off and on again, and now he's behind Show on the ramp! WOAH! This happens once more, and Taker punches him all the way around to the back. As great as Taker is, he's not as good a teleporter as Brie Cheese. Brie Cheese rules, did I mention? Anywho, oh Jesus. Jesus H. Christ. My favourite wrestler comes down for the FOURTH TIME THIS SHOW (I said I'd be good! I promised! Why, WHY are you doing this?!) to the ring. He and HHH trade punches (for real) before an eventual Headbutt of DOOM. This brings out Jeff Hardy, who attacks but himself gets a shoulder knockdown. Thats the second time Kozlov has pwned Jeff toonight, for those counting at home. Enfin, Jeff and HHH team up to punch Kozlov out of the ring. They tell Kozlov to Just Bring It as a huge-ass "USA" chant breaks out. What is wrong with the world? BUT, Jeffrey SWERVES and Twists of Fates HHH! Just like last time, the crowd totally non-reacts, although Jeff's music hits and they cheer again. Jeff and Kozlov staredown some more as we end scene.

As much as I dislike a show with that much Kozlov and Big Show involvement, that was a darn good show. All matches were solid, the squash was fun, and all the angles were done brilliantly, really. HHH/Jeff/Kozlov is taking shape, which is at least logical progression. Taker has anger with Show, Vickie is speaking again. Truth is shooting for Shelton and is getting over. Festus likes Maria, Khali is the best comedy babyface in history, and the Brie Cheese angle is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Furthermore, Smackdown and I are now feuding, it seems. To paraphrase Mick Foley (urgh..) Jimmy loves Smackdown, and Smackdown hates Jimmy.

And now, I feel like shooting myself for even thinking this, but the end scene with Kozlov was probably the least offensive yet. If you ignore the rest of the show, that is. And the "USA" chant during it was huge, which I think marks the first time that Kozlov has ever been over at all. And I am actually interested to see next week's match. I'm 95% sure that neither man will win clean, but it will be...interesting. I guess.

The only thing I can really complain about for this week is the lack of Maryse.

Last edited:

DC

but Nattie killed her with a clothesline...
Not just any old clothesline;a discus lariat that was as stiff (for a woman - if I can be sexist for a second) as any JBL CfH.

Jimmy Redman

Not just any old clothesline;a discus lariat that was as stiff (for a woman - if I can be sexist for a second) as any JBL CfH.
I know, I think I looked away for a second then and missed it, but I caught the replay and thought "Oh sh*t!"

DC

I know, I think I looked away for a second then and missed it, but I caught the replay and thought "Oh sh*t!"
I rewound it a few times. There were quite a few good clotheslines/lariats, from various wrestlers, on WWE TV this week.

Koslov is growing on me (ever so slightly), but Big Show should be banned from showing replays ever again. Khali was awesome in his segment (he's always had a certain charisma, but it was obviously on show here) and looks to be in the midst of a babface turn.

The eight-man tag wasn't as good as the more recent ones, but it passed the time. One thing I do wish they'd do is give Ryan Braddock some squash wins (like they did with Kofi) to get over whatever offence he uses.

Jeff v MVP and Big Show v Triple H were decent adn the Kung Fu Naki backstage segment was great (Josh, 21mths old, had a HUGE grin on his face when R-Truth was singing) and really put Truth over as a nice guy.

Victoria, Natalya (w/ clothesline) and Brie (w/ Hornswoggle & Clone) had a decent little outing too, but I wonder just how long this can be strung out. I'm assuming that Victoria and Natalya will challenge her to a tag-match, with any partner of her choosing, and then the twin will get an outing.

One last point; Big Show's "... at least I'm an American" comment was as asinine as it gets. The crowd, instead of chanting "USA" over and over should just admit the truth and shout out "Xen-o-phobic" over and over instead. Seriously, this is a country where they chanted a "USA" chant in a match with Bret Hart (Canadian) v Yokozuna (billed as Japanese).

I can remember reading about how Lance Storm, when the fans started a "USA" chant, stopped a match against a Japanese opponent and asked them who were they cheering for.

Naitch

I can remember reading about how Lance Storm, when the fans started a "USA" chant, stopped a match against a Japanese opponent and asked them who were they cheering for.
Vs. Super Crazy I believe.

'I'm Canadian and he's Mexican, who exactly are you cheering for?'

The crowd paused for a second and then started a 'MEX-I-CO' chant.

The Beltster

Khali's career is over. Once he turns face, he will stick around a few months and thatsit, bye bye.

Nemesis Enforcer

Khali was said to be struggling so bad with his knees after his last lot of surgery that he didn't have long left in the ring and WWE wanted to get all they could out of him while he was around, I just never thought that a face furn was getting all they could from him :lol:

FreeSpirit

Kozlov, Kozlov, Kozlov and more Kozlov...I absolutely loved this edition of SmackDown.

I swear each and every week the character reminds me of Drago from Rocky 4, and I love the way he's tearing through the competition. I hope he destroys Jeff Hardy this coming week en route to a WWE Championship match with HHH!

Nemesis Enforcer

Friday's WWE Smackdown drew a 2.1 rating, which is up from the 1.9 rating the show drew last week. The Broadcasting and Cable website reports that the show drew 3.5 million viewers, which his up from the 3.2 million viewers that tuned in the first week.
Credit: Wrestlezone.com

So without seeing Smackdown yet (going to watch it today) but going by what G2G said above, Kozlov = ratings?? :lol: