Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Sick of heroes, need a comedy

Ratings
I've seen every hero themed movie that's come out these past couple of years and they've been great. I'm sick of the genre though. Are any great comedies coming out that you're looking forward to seeing?

Hal

Ratings
I know. I love a good superhero flick but there have been so many of them. I can't even keep them straight anymore. What's really sad is that I can't think of any comedies that are coming out this year, at least any that I'm really looking forward to seeing. I was excited about Game Night and Super Troopers 2, but I didn't get a chance to see them while they were out.

Ratings
Game Night sounds a bit like the movie Clue which I thought was fantastic. I know it's not new, but that's fine with me. My computer screen will suffice in a pinch in place of a large theater screen Thanks for mentioning it Hal. I'm going to rent it from Amazon.

Ratings
Game Night was really funny! Like you said Ogmore, it's sort of like a modern version of Clue. I'm up for anything with Kyle Chandler though (he's my dad crush). I think there's an Amy Schumer movie coming out sometime this year. She's not really my favorite, but I know a lot of people enjoy her brand of comedy.

Ratings
If I want a good laugh I sometimes look up the old Carry On films on YouTube. They were made long ago, but sometimes they are hilarious! I think they are funny because they show a lot about the reserved social values of the time, with everybody feeling that they have to put on a polite social front, but then getting up to all sorts.

An absolute classic was Carry On Camping, and Barbara Windsor in that was really uproarious.

Hal

Ratings
Did you end up renting it, @Ogmore? Ha, I guess it is sort of like a modern version of Clue. I hadn't really thought of it that way but now I'm wondering how I missed it. @Cherry-Chan, I've never heard of those movies but they look pretty funny. One old(-ish) British show I love to watch for a laugh is Keeping Up Appearances.

Ratings
One old(-ish) British show I love to watch for a laugh is Keeping Up Appearances.
With Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet) and her pitiful husband Richard. I used to watch it every Saturday night. "What To Wear When Yachting" during season 3 was one of the best episodes. Just so fancy!

Have you seen the prequel, Young Hyacinth? I think it was a one-off but I bet it was good.

Ratings
Keeping Up Appearances was hilarious! It very much reflects the British class system, social mores and habits. I love the main character of Hyacinth Bucket. It looks as though she came from a fairly tough background, and did her best to better herself.

Thanks for reminding me of it, @Hal!

And, @Poppy, I haven't heard of Young Hyacinth - I will watch out for that.

Ratings
@Hal, I did! It was an excellent recommendation. The movie is packed with an all-star cast and I always enjoy watching Rachel McAdams. I think she and Jason Bateman played off each other well. The behaviour was more violent than I expected and not quite as good as Clue (cult classic) but it's worth a watch. Definitely a switch from hero programmes.

Last edited:
Ratings
Dig out some of the old comedy shows. They are simple but hilarious. The Carol Burnette Show and I Love Lucy are some of the best out there. There are also some comedic take offs on Star Trek and Star Wars. I don't know of any new comedy movies coming out but I agree with all of you here. I'm kind of tired of super heroes.

Ratings
I love superhero movies because they portray the imaginations I have in my mind. I'm actually excited to see Captain Marvel and Venom.

As for comedy, I had a good time watching Jumanji and I can't wait to watch the sequel next year.

Ratings
Hero movies are good for what they are.....entertainment. I like movies that make you think and feel real emotions outside of those that a cartoon character makes you feel.

Game Night was a good one. Funny, engaging and mature.

Hal

Ratings
@Ogmore, I'm glad you liked it! I finally got around to renting it as well and really enjoyed it. McAdams and Bateman really did play off of each other well. I loved seeing Kyle Chandler in a very different kind of role than the type he usually plays.

I also just saw previews for a movie called Tag that I'd completely forgotten about. It looks good.