Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Shelton Benjamin: Ain't no stopping him now?

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
From Wrestling 101:
WWE seems intent on elevating fresh talent into the main event picture and that is likely to give different men their chance at claiming world title gold - MVP, John Morrison and John Cena’s latest nemesis, The Miz, a possible three.

But one other man has been waiting in the wings for quite some time. Since 2002, Shelton Benjamin has wowed many with his athletic prowess and technical qualities and numerous figures have implored for the ‘Gold Standard’ to be given a championship run - so far, to no avail.

However, amid the spate of new pushes, is it time the phrase ‘Shelton Benjamin: WWE Champion’ switches from long-held dream to actual reality?

Jimmy Redman

The intro there scared me for a second into thinking we were in for another "Shelton4WWEChamp" crowing, but thankfully the guy was on the right track.

The one thing about Shelton, he would be able to (and has been able to) get further up as a face. Shelton's best asset is the crazy things he does in a match. Fact. As a face his matches were based around Shelton showing off all this flashy sh*t. And it got him over. On a midcard level, yes, but it still got him over. For example, 2004.

Once he turned heel, it made no sense for him to keep doing flashy highspots to get pops, so the last few years his matches have changed, more restholds, not much flashy stuff, working people over. Working as a heel, but a boring heel. I mean, I absolutely love Shelton's wrestling from the past 12 months, but its just not his best style. Its not like Shelton has the charisma or anything else to get over despite being Mr Resthold. Shelton NEEDS to show off in the ring.

I mean all this is by-the-by because we know they're not going to push Shelton, WWE knows they're not going to push Shelton, Shelton knows they're not going to push Shelton. But theoretically, if they did, I'd totally turn him babyface and let him get himself over again.

Dante Spears

IMO Shelton has the charisma of a Brillo pad, so I won;t cry if he never reaches the Main event spot, but I believe it will be in his future. He is one of the most talented Superstars today, and assuming he doesn't kill himself in one of his crazy spots he could hold his own at the top.

DC

When I read the title of the thread, I thought Shelton had been released as well.

The Franchise

Uh-huh.

Shelton Benjamin has all of the credentials to be a World champion in the WWE. The problem is The WWE doesnt feel hes good enough to be. Hell, like CM Punk is exciting like rush hour in New York City? I dont think so. But yet hes a two time champion? I guess.

Shelton shows up at every MITB match every year at Mania and gives us something to remember each time. But outside of that hes not even worthy of going up against the likes of Orton or Edge? Or Batista or Punk? Gimme a break.

Enough is enough. I say give em the chance to show the world that hes as good as he say he is. :)

Dante Spears

i think i can illustrate my faith in Shelton Benjamin.

Last year at the December 26th taping of smackdown, Shelton came out and cut a promo on defending the US championship. This is what was aired on TV

I, am the United States Champion. I won my championship at the Great American Bash
Awkward, and it doesn't make any sense. Here's the whole promo
I, am the United States Champion. I won my championship at the Great American Bash. Why should I have to defend my United States Championship in a second rate country, like Canada!
See the difference the line made? I'm not lying when I say that was the best promo in the entire taping (It prompted my dad to humorously yell, "Deport the b*stard!"), and for no adequate reason they cut out the most effective line in the promo. It got him a lot of deserved heel heat, and he looked pretty believeable. But no, the WWE cut his promo, (would an extra 10 seconds have really mattered?), and just make him look weird on TV.

Foleyisgood

Was his short little feud with Undertaker about getting him over because to be honest i dont think it was very effective.
It was like they couldn't think of a way to get him over so they jus decided to get a top guy and let him have a few fights with him over nothing for the sake of it!

Jimmy Redman

I wouldnt call that a feud, they just had really good matches on TV a couple times. There was no feud to it.

Da Showstoppa

I've always felt Benjamin explodes around Mania time, steals the show in the MITB match and then fades again. He does the jump up onto the rope and the dragon whip and that's really it. He has the charisma of a breeze block. I'm enjoying the reserrection of TWGTT though - I think Benjamin will be full time tagging with Haas before long, Smackdown needs strong tag teams.

Benjamin WWE Champion? I'm just not feeling it.

Cathal

Somebody posted this on the F4W board about Shelton today, was kind of interesting.

Then.. I sat down next to Shelton as we waited for the same flight. He was pretty tired, but he gave me a little advice about learning the craft. I think it was "Don't". He told me he couldn't wait to get out of wrestling as it was really taking a toll on his body. He said they came to him and found him, and he could never imagine trying to work your way up and get noticed. I asked him what he wanted to be doing 10 years down the road and all he said was "not wrestling".

Dante Spears

Somebody posted this on the F4W board about Shelton today, was kind of interesting.
Mmm, I'd take that with a grain of salt. I can;t see a current WWE Superstar speaking negatively about the business so freely with just a stranger.

Jimmy Redman

Makes sense, I guess. He's been on TV for 7 years now, which is a while if you think about it. He's, what, 31 or 32 years old? He's never been able or willing to get anywhere because he doesnt have charisma, and he does do a lot of things to his body. He has always seemed to be that guy who is happy being a midcarder and just going along, having a steady paycheck for all these years. So all that doesnt shock me at all.

ShaolinHandLock

Benjamin could hold the top title.....just counteract his ordinary promos with a manager.

Anyway, if the story about him being fed up with wresting is true, then it suprises me, as he's been having very good matches lately.

Da Showstoppa

Benjamin could hold the top title.....just counteract his ordinary promos with a manager.

Anyway, if the story about him being fed up with wresting is true, then it suprises me, as he's been having very good matches lately.
Ah managers, there's a lost art in wrestling.

Chriscare

Shelton desperaltley needs to learn how to work a crowd. As someone said earlier his biggest assett is the crazy athletic sh*t he does, but he's a heel. If you wanna get away with that stuff as a heel you have to do some showboating afterwards and he doesn't, he just transitions into the next moves. This is where's he's losing all his heat.

Jung

Shelton desperaltley needs to learn how to work a crowd. As someone said earlier his biggest assett is the crazy athletic sh*t he does, but he's a heel. If you wanna get away with that stuff as a heel you have to do some showboating afterwards and he doesn't, he just transitions into the next moves. This is where's he's losing all his heat.
I think thats spot on.

But unfortunately that applies to so many workers these days. Twice the athleticism of the guys from the 80's with half of the crowd working ability.

The Franchise

Yep.

I think thats spot on.

But unfortunately that applies to so many workers these days. Twice the athleticism of the guys from the 80's with half of the crowd working ability.
The guys from the good ole days were better workers than the guys of today. Plain and simpe.:dohstars: