Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Shawn Michaels: The Icon, The Showstopper, The Champ?

The Franchise

I couldnt agree more with you Jung.

I just think HBK needs to be a heel, it's what he excels it. Face HBK is horribly bland and in DX, just somebody's unfunny dad...who thinks they are funny.

Bring back ar*sehole HBK and have him feud against any up and coming face and I'd bet they'd get over.
The only thing I would add to that is bring back the ar*sehole HBK as the new United States champion. That would be cool.:thumbup2:

Chriscare

I still think HBK could be a heel against an up and coming face. He will probably still get cheered initially, but thats what happens generally, keep delivering strong promos, bury the crowd, get into a really tight character and they will boo, he's that talented.
I don't think anyone in wrestling anymore is that talented. When you've been part of the WWE for over 2 decades you're just not gonna get booed. Sure some of the kiddies would buy into it, but there's gonna be a large portion of the audience thats just gonna cheer him no matter what, maybe he could push them to boo him on the mic. But in the ring (where it matters) he's gonna perform brilliantly, and they're just gonna start cheering again. Triple H at a push probably could do it, but HBK is just too good in that ring to not get cheered.

Chris Jericho has done the heel thing absolutely brilliant, I don't think HBK could do it as well (remembering that it's not 1993 anymore, he cudnt just do the exact same character and get booed) and he still gets cheered because of how long he's been around and how good he is in the ring. HBK is worse on the mic, been around longer and even better in the ring, not a chance it would work.

Last edited:

The Beltster

When you've been part of the WWE for over 2 decades you're just not gonna get booed. Sure some of the kiddies would buy into it, but there's gonna be a large portion of the audience thats just gonna cheer him no matter what.
He was booed massively throughout his heel turn in 2005. Being part of WWE for 20 years really makes no difference at all. If he turned on the fans and started insulting them, they would boo him.

Jimmy Redman

He was booed massively throughout his heel turn in 2005. Being part of WWE for 20 years really makes no difference at all. If he turned on the fans and started insulting them, they would boo him.
They also cheered him heavily throughout his heel turn in 2005, outside of Montreal.

But its really not that big a deal. Cena gets booed. Orton gets cheers. Batista gets some boos. Punk gets cheers. HHH got cheers as a heel. Edge gets some cheers. Jericho gets cheers all the time. So on and so forth. When you have someone doing his job well or who is just a popular worker, you're always going to get a certain section cheering for the heel. Its 2009.

So I think they could turn HBK, or anyone else, heel if they desperately wanted to. They turned the popular Jericho heel last year. He went completely dastardly, changed his gimmick and hasnt stopped insulting the fans. And yet he still gets some cheers. Does that mean it hasnt worked or he's not a good heel? Of course not. Its just the way things are. So I think if they turned HBK heel and a lot of people just kept wanting to cheer him, it wouldnt necessarily not work.

It wouldnt be that hard either, even for HBK, for whom it would probably be the hardest in the company. During the JBL feud whenever he chickened out on something the boos rained down on him, and that was when he was just a face being un-heroic. So it could be done.

Having said all that, I doubt they ever will turn him again. There are just so many reasons to keep him a face - he's super over, he sells heaps of merch, he'd want to go out as a face, he wrestles like a babyface - that I dont think they'd really consider it.

The Beltster

He wasnt really cheered heavily throughout his 2005 run outside of Montreal, thats an overstatement to be fair. He got a smattering of cheers during his appearance's and his Hogan/Larry Fling skit got alot of laughs but that was because it was funny and they he wasnt doing anything heelish. At SummerSlam it was clear who the crowd was backing so I'd call the turn a success. Of course, Shawn would need to wrestle against guys who the fans care about if he were a heel or it would bomb. Put heel Shawn in against face Primo and nobody would boo Shawn I expect.

ANYBODY can be turned heel at any time, infact it would be much easier to turn Shawn heel than it would almost anybody, because the fans have an emotional bond with him and feel personally insulted and betrayed when their favourites tell them to p*ss off. Thats why the best heel turns are on guys who are beloved. Always has been and always will be.

They wont turn him, but when they did go half way with him in 2005, he was at his best since 1997/8.

etz

Haven't they got too many heels anyway? Maybe not, especially as Edge is likely to land up a face on his return.

The Franchise

Compared to Randy Orton's boring as routine I'll take HBK anyday.

I am already bored with HBK's boring old routine again.
Wouldnt it be nice to see HBK super-kick Randy Orton into next week and take his spot in Legacy? Far fetched? Sure. (Be fun to watch though)

But at least HBK would try to help Legacy become something other than being like Orton and have them save his ass every time hes in trouble.:lol:

The Icon

Wouldnt it be nice to see HBK super-kick Randy Orton into next week and take his spot in Legacy? Far fetched? Sure. (Be fun to watch though)

But at least HBK would try to help Legacy become something other than being like Orton and have them save his ass every time hes in trouble.:lol:
What possible reason would make HBK superkicking Orton the sudden leader of legacy? So all of a sudden Ted and Cody forget they hate DX? Hate Shawn.

The Franchise

Well Icon...

What possible reason would make HBK superkicking Orton the sudden leader of legacy? So all of a sudden Ted and Cody forget they hate DX? Hate Shawn.
I was just saying it would be interesting if in fact HBK was placed in a position where he took over Legacy. Thats all. We've seen over the years mortal enemies become allies over a common issue. It would be cool IMO.:)

etz

Yeah, with the way Randy treats Legacy (as in he should be helping the to be IC/US and Tag champs, but isn't) it's not unbelievable that they'd turn on him. I've already thought Ted was turning on Legacy a few times.

The Beltster

But Shawn isnt 2nd or 3rd Generation...so him being in Legacy makes Frenchfries sense. Oh...of course.

etz

But Shawn isnt 2nd or 3rd Generation...so him being in Legacy makes Frenchfries sense. Oh...of course.
Yeah, but he wouldn't really be in Legacy, in the same way Orton is hardly in Legacy. They're Ortons' goons. Goons get pissed off with Orton and side with his enemy. It's a storyline that's been done a thousand times before. I think it's safe to assume that the Legacy name would be dropped at that point.

Jimmy Redman

Then, like...whats the point?

Seriously. The whole point of Legacy is that they're all second gen and are better than everyone else and better than their fathers. Shawn Michaels doesnt need goons to protect him like Orton does. He's a babyface. Cody and Teddy dont need to turn babyface together to team with Shawn Michaels. They dont need to break up DX after 2 months.

I just have no idea why this is an idea.

The Beltster

Yeah, but he wouldn't really be in Legacy, in the same way Orton is hardly in Legacy. They're Ortons' goons. Goons get pissed off with Orton and side with his enemy. It's a storyline that's been done a thousand times before. I think it's safe to assume that the Legacy name would be dropped at that point.
Orton is 3rd gen, thats his reason for being involved with Legacy. Shawn is 1st gen, it wouldnt make any sense, thats my point.

iLoveHHH

The only thing I would add to that is bring back the ar*sehole HBK as the new United States champion. That would be cool.:thumbup2:
Oh yeah, i totally agree with that. I personally don't think it's a good idea to make him WWE champion as it's a bit unbelievable now that he's a lot older and has slowed down quite a bit but he would make a fantastic US champ and could definately help some of the midcarders boost their credibility to wrestle HBK. I think this is probably the best thing for him and he could have a really good long run to make us actually care about this particular title.

The Franchise

Finally...

Thank you etz!!! You get it.:thumbup:

etz

Thank you etz!!! You get it.:thumbup:
Well, it's classic booking 101. If they had a face superstar who was 2nd/3rd gen, they might keep the name and have him lead it. Hell, Ted and Cody could even keep it for themselves as a tag team and still be led by someone else who isn't a multigen superstar.

Quite why people have a carrot up their a***s about a vbooking idea which has only been done about a billion times before is beyond me. Anyone else ending up leading Ted and Cody would surely be the disbanding of "Legacy" as it is now, so it doesn't matter who lands up leading it.

If they kept the name and Micheals led it, they could at least argue he was keeping the name because of his own great legacy in wrestling, and that he intended to help Ted and Cody do the same.

Of course, after the recent PPV's, I don't see this happening, but then I never said it was likely to, just that it would be interesting and could be made to work from a booking point of view.

The Beltster

Thats not wrestling booking 101, its nonsensical crap! Wrestling booking 101 needs to make sense and be kept simple, having a guy who is 1st gen lead a group who have been put together specifically due to their heritage in the business is completely retarded on every level which means t makes no sense, and then trying to use the explaination that he is part of Legacy due to his own legacy in the business is confusing so it couldnt be further from wrestling booking 101.

Shawn leading Legacy would make no sense, at all. It would be stupid, pointless and backwards. Orton is 3rd gen, it makes sense. Shawn isnt, he doesnt fit. How people are failing to see and understand this is beyond me.

etz

Thats not wrestling booking 101, its nonsensical crap! Wrestling booking 101 needs to make sense and be kept simple, having a guy who is 1st gen lead a group who have been put together specifically due to their heritage in the business is completely retarded on every level which means t makes no sense, and then trying to use the explaination that he is part of Legacy due to his own legacy in the business is confusing so it couldnt be further from wrestling booking 101.

Shawn leading Legacy would make no sense, at all. It would be stupid, pointless and backwards. Orton is 3rd gen, it makes sense. Shawn isnt, he doesnt fit. How people are failing to see and understand this is beyond me.
Again....just letting this whole "Legacy" Xth generation thing dominate your entire view.

When you're planning Ted and Cody's turn on Randy, it makes sense that they'd find another "A" star to back them up. As I said (which you just utterly ignored...), that would effectively be the end of Legacy AS IT IS NOW, though they might keep the name. I wouldn't, but WWE, well you never know.

let me put it real simple like...

Ted : Cody, me no like Randy no more. He never help us win anything, but we always save him ass.

Cody: Ya, but he kick us good if we piss him off

Ted: Me have plan, come on...

Cut to DX

DX : Buy merch, it are good

Ted and Cody come in

Ted: We no like Randy no more, him mean to us. We no kick you wife inna head, him did!

Cody: Yeah, him did!

Ted: Now we wanna kick him inna head. We come down ring tonight while you fight him and beat crap outta him.

Fight time...

Randy : Oh lookee, Ted and Cody cumma save me gain. Whyforsoheakicking me...oh f**k..

Last edited: