Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Shawn Michaels: The Icon, The Showstopper, The Champ?

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
From Wrestling 101:

Let us rejoice, the Heartbreak Kid is back. After a lengthy hiatus following his dazzling display against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25, Shawn Michaels has returned to inject some life into a floundering Monday night Raw. He will bring ratings, razzamatazz and wrestling excellence aplenty but can the much-loved star generate something even better - a fifth world title reign?

Last edited:

Da Showstoppa

Really good article, makes some great points - and oh hell yeah, I'd love to see HBK as WWE Champion one more time.

etz

Who cares if HBK needs it, WWE needs it just to shake up the main event some.

The Beltster

Thats my point. HBGay doesnt need another title run and it wouldnt do anything to make the title mean anything. I could understand giving him a short run before he retires as a thanks, but nothing else, like they did with Hogan in 2002.

might

Yeah im not the biggest HBK fan but he would help raise the profile of other wrestlers, like what they are tryin with Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Franchise

Spare me Beltster. I mean lets keep it real its been many years since HBK been champ.

Thats my point. HBGay doesnt need another title run and it wouldnt do anything to make the title mean anything. I could understand giving him a short run before he retires as a thanks, but nothing else, like they did with Hogan in 2002.
I dont see a problem with him holding the gold one more time. I mean how many times we gotta see HHH, Batista, or Orton with the strap?:sleep2:

HBK has had more match of the year awards over the last decade than just about anyone on the current roster today. I say give the Showstopper, The Icon, The Main Event one more time in the spotlight.:thumbup2:

Horowitz

Perhaps he will be given another run solely to put over new talent. Imo he's one of the best in the business in putting people over(when he wants to). It would also be a fitting end. During his run in on last weeks RAW he looked like an old man.
I'm never convinced when HHH puts anyone over either.
It will be interesting to see how they will replace Michaels when he's gone

The Franchise

Where did that come from?

HBK is STILL one of the best overall performers of all time that can STILL put on one hell of a match.

Me and alot of other people truly believe he deserves one more run as World champion before he walks off into the sunset for the last time. Thats all we are saying.

The Beltster

HBK is STILL one of the best overall performers of all time that can STILL put on one hell of a match.

Me and alot of other people truly believe he deserves one more run as World champion before he walks off into the sunset for the last time. Thats all we are saying.
Who said he doesnt still put on a great match? Who said he isnt still one of the better performers? Not me.

Like I said, the only old geezer I can remember in recent memory getting a final world title run is Hogan, hence its a valid comparison as I already said.

etz

A fifth run would be fine. Plenty of younger, less talented people have had 5 or more runs already since HBK last held the title.... I could name names, but no point really in individually naming the entire main event card.

Chriscare

He may not need, but WWE desperatly need it. They've failed to create any new stars on Raw in the past 4-5 years, and Raws main event PPV matches are getting reeeeeeeeally tedious now and HBK as champion would make a refreshing change, and having a champion that can have brilliant matches with anybody would be a great way to help put someone new over.

Jung

He may not need, but WWE desperatly need it. They've failed to create any new stars on Raw in the past 4-5 years, and Raws main event PPV matches are getting reeeeeeeeally tedious now and HBK as champion would make a refreshing change, and having a champion that can have brilliant matches with anybody would be a great way to help put someone new over.
I just think HBK needs to be a heel, it's what he excels it. Face HBK is horribly bland and in DX, just somebody's unfunny dad...who thinks they are funny.

Bring back ar*sehole HBK and have him feud against any up and coming face and I'd bet they'd get over.

Chriscare

I think he's long past the point of being able to pull off being a heel. He's been there two long, won't work for taker, won't work for HBK, won't work for trips. You need to be an amazing talker to be able to pull it over, Jericho's about the best WWE has and he only just about gets away with it, Edge is starting to struggle too. People cheer legends

Jung

I think he's long past the point of being able to pull off being a heel. He's been there two long, won't work for taker, won't work for HBK, won't work for trips. You need to be an amazing talker to be able to pull it over, Jericho's about the best WWE has and he only just about gets away with it, Edge is starting to struggle too. People cheer legends
What about in 2005 against Hogan?

He can easily be a heel. Same with Triple H.

And you answer your own question. "You need to be an amazing talker to be able to pull it over". Thus of course HBK can do it.

Chriscare

Well yer, he can be a heel against an even bigger face than him, but there's few of those out there, and that's not remoley useful if you're trying to use him as a heel to feud him with some young face.

Even against Hogan he was still getting cheered, and trips got a lot of cheers on his last heel run.

Jung

Well yer, he can be a heel against an even bigger face than him, but there's few of those out there, and that's not remoley useful if you're trying to use him as a heel to feud him with some young face.

Even against Hogan he was still getting cheered, and trips got a lot of cheers on his last heel run.
I still think HBK could be a heel against an up and coming face. He will probably still get cheered initially, but thats what happens generally, keep delivering strong promos, bury the crowd, get into a really tight character and they will boo, he's that talented.

Problem with HHH is he goes a bit Nash, trying to be cool with the fans, thus his heel persona gets a bit skewed. But again if he just becomes 2000 or even 2005 HHH, he'd get booed.

Of course they'd need a strong face to be against, not just a nobody who they've decided to push that week ala Smilin' Mark Henry.