Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Russia does the Hunger Games for real...

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Ratings
184 2
From the BBC Newsbeat website:

A Russian TV network has launched a real-life version of The Hunger Games.

Contestants will have to survive on their own for nine months in Siberia.

Producers say that anything goes, including rape and murder, although they warn people taking part that they're still subject to the rule of law and can be arrested at any time.

"You must understand that the police will come and take you away. We are on the territory of Russia, and obey the laws of the Russian Federation."

The 20 male and female participants taking part in Game2: Winter can carry knives but aren't allowed guns.

The contestants will have to survive from 1 July 2017 until 1 April 2018 in temperatures which can fall to -40C (-40F).

The men and women on the show have been given special survival training by former GRU Spetsnaz operatives, who used to work under Russia's military intelligence service.

Anyone who wants to take part has to be over 18 and "sane".

You'll also have to pay 10 million roubles (£130,000) - or be voted in by viewers.

Organiser and local entrepreneur, Yevgeny Pyatkovsky, says all participants will have to sign a release of liability in case they're injured or die.

In the frequently asked questions section on Facebook, it says the rules of the game could include "fights, alcohol, murder, rape, smoking, anything at all" but contestants must "obey the laws of the Russian Federation".
Click here for the article

I love how they say, they can rape and murder (for the TV show) but are still subject to the law of the land. Considering you have to pay £130K to take part, I can't imagine many people would be interested in spending 9 months in Siberia...

Ratings
This just sounds wrong! Who in their right mind would come up with a show like this? I think this will surpass "Naked and Afraid" and "Survivor." Rape and murder do not appeal to me. I will not be watching the show.

This just goes to show you that Russia is not as advanced as you would hope. Letting people kill each other or rape is just out of mental range even for them. Spending a year in Siberia with -40-degree temps is just ridiculous. I don't agree with this at all.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Ratings
184 2
Apparently hundreds applied but the organiser said it was a stunt and never was actually going to go ahead. I'm still surprised anyone applied!

Ratings
Apparently hundreds applied but the organiser said it was a stunt and never was actually going to go ahead. I'm still surprised anyone applied!
Way to go, humans.

When I read the first post, I really wanted it to be a fake news. I'm glad that is the case, but I don't know what to say about the organizer and applicants. This is just wrong on so many levels. Worst, they may inspire some dangerous people to actually bring the ideas to life and cause casualties.

Kira

Ratings
I agree North. I am glad it was a stunt but the ideas placed in some peoples minds may actually put others in danger. I hope no one follows through with this concept.