Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Read any good books lately?

Ratings
I promise that's not a pickup line. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more books until I got through all the ones I already have. I am two books away from my goal, so obviously I need to start thinking about what new books I'll get. What books have you read lately? I'm open to anything when it comes to fiction. I'm interested in non-fiction as well, I'm just a bit more picky about them. Biographies are usually my go-to for non-fiction.

Ratings
I recently finished "Why Kill the Innocent" by C.S. Harris and it's worth a look if you're into Regency era mysteries and suspense. The whole St. Cyr series is intriguing and C.S. Harris does a great job of keeping me guessing as to how it will end. There are 13 novels in all, but you can jump around and each book can be read as a standalone without too much problem. Some of the novels are darker than others.

Which two books are you about to finish, @The Wild Things?

Ratings
I promised myself the same thing The Wild Things! I am slowly reading through my stash and giving them away when I'm done. I just started Blow Out by Catherine Coulter. It is an FBI thriller and already has me rapt. I also do some fantasy and sci-fi. What's your genre'?

Ratings
If you like biographies then you should check out Zelda: A Biography by Nancy Milford. It's about Zelda Fitzgerald and covers a lot of interesting material. For example I didn't know that a lot of her own words were used in F. Scott Fitzgerald's works. Her words were used in one of the most popular lines from The Great Gatsby: "I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." It also discusses her schizophrenia by looking at the writing patterns in her journals.

Ratings
@ShadowEdge Oh my gosh, I'm so glad that I asked! That series sounds absolutely perfect. I'm downloading What Angels Fear right this second. I'm finishing up The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin and then I'm going to start The Magicians by Lev Grossman. The City of Mirrors isn't the best thing I've ever read but I can't stop reading it. It's the last book in a trilogy and I've felt this way throughout all three books. Does that ever happen to any of you?

You're doing better than me, @Kira. I never throw out my books. There are some that I really should throw out. I doubt I'm ever going to crack open my old workbooks from primary school and yet, there they are, sitting on my bookshelf. FBI thrillers are always fun! I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to give it a look. I really enjoy just about every genre. I go through phases though. Murder mysteries and psychological thrillers have been my genres of choice lately. I devoured all of Peter Swanson's books within two weeks.

That sounds interesting, @Evie! I'll have to give that one a look. I didn't even know she had schizophrenia. That couldn't have mixed well with all that partying. :oops:

Ratings
The last biography I read Evie was Paula Deen's. It was very interesting and entertaining. She has led quite a life and is still going. Biographies are not my genre' so when I do read one, it has to keep my attention.

I don't throw them out The Wild Thing. I give them to a local senior center where I know they will be read. I used to be a hoarder of books but I just got too many with no place to put them.

ShadowEdge

Ratings
@The Wild Things I can bury my head in a book and completely lose track of time when the story is compelling enough. Is the trilogy by Justin Cronin worth reading even though the last book isn't the best?

Ratings
@Kira I would hope that you wouldn't really throw them out, haha. That's really nice of you to donate them! I'm sure they really appreciate it. I think I'm getting close to that point. I'm running out of places to put new bookshelves. I'll have to look into some donation opportunities in my area.

@ShadowEdge There's really no escape quite like a good story. I think the trilogy is worth a read. He gives a lot of details about everything which can get annoying sometimes. However, the world and lore is interesting enough to make up for it (most of the time).

Kira

Ratings
Good for you @The Wild Things. If you can't find places to donate them, the thrift stores are always glad to have them. Some of my best finds in books have been at a thrift shop. Happy Reading!!!