Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

RAW Discussion Thread - March 1, 2010 from Oklahoma City, OK (#875)

TPIB

In my opinion, a heel champion Batista should dress like Triple H did during his days as a heel World Heavyweight Champion.

The way he dresses (or is dressed) makes me think that WWE is trying to pull in the gay demographic; something that wrestling does not need to appeal to. There are enough wrestling/gay jokes as it is. Just watch The Soup.

When it comes to Santino Marella, if he is not cutting a promo or doing some sort of comedy bit, then I don't give a shit about him. When he wrestles, I just do not care. The cobra thing is just stupid and, in-ring, the guy is going nowhere.

I have complained about it in the past, but why are matches like MVP Vs. Zack Ryder and Jack Swagger Vs. Santino Marella taking up time on RAW? I realize they were annoyingly short matches, but one would think they would save those for WWE Superstars.

When you compare those two matches with the Qualifying Matches that we saw on SmackDown, there is no comparison. The three MITB Qualifiers on SmackDown were really interesting matches. They were not great, but every one of them told a "story" within the match. Kane/McIntyre expanded on their feud by having Kane end McIntyre's undefeated streak, Dolph Ziggler stole the win from John Morrison in the Triple Threat Match, and Rey Mysterio cost CM Punk his match against Shelton Benjamin. Even Christian Vs. Carlito on last week's RAW was a fairly competitive match.

Regardless of who turns on who, I would not be surprised to see a Triple H Vs. Shawn Michaels match on RAW before WrestleMania. As mentioned, the Vince Vs. Cena match is an attempt to trump the live iMPACT and I think a Triple H Vs. Shawn Michaels match the week after that or on the last RAW before WrestleMania would also serve that purpose, as well as give a good match (hopefully) and build for both of their WrestleMania matches.

When I think of Mad Dog Vachon, it always reminds me of the event (I think it was in 1998; possibly the Survivor Series) where Jerry Lawler took Vachon's fake leg off and ended up getting hit with it by that other guy whose name I can't quite remember.

The Beltster

When I think of Mad Dog Vachon, it always reminds me of the event (I think it was in 1998; possibly the Survivor Series) where Jerry Lawler took Vachon's fake leg off and ended up getting hit with it by that other guy whose name I can't quite remember.
I remember this happening at In Your House: Good Friends Better Enemies in the beyond awesome match between Shawn Michaels and Diesel before he headed off to WCW to form the Outsiders.

Dave7g

Michaels took it off him during his match with Diesel, think it was Diesel's last match before heading to WCW.

Never mind eh?

Last edited:

JC

Over the Edge 1998? Main event was Austin/Dude Love?

I can remember that happening before the DX/Nation tag match.

Da Showstoppa

Batista's leather wristband was the gayest thing I've ever seen a man wear.
Well some of Shawn's outfits run it close, especially the tanktops with the low cut neck that look like dresses!

Raw was okay, nothing spectacular though. Cena V McMahon could be good next week, or it could be tragic.

I can't figure out what they're trying to do with Legacy, I mean the way it's going it looks like a handicap match at Mania with Orton as a face. WTF?

DC

The way he dresses (or is dressed) makes me think that WWE is trying to pull in the gay demographic; something that wrestling does not need to appeal to.
Are you saying that gay people shouldn't be encouraged to watch wrestling?
Michaels took it off him during his match with Diesel, think it was Diesel's last match before heading to WCW.
Diesel took the leg from Mad Dog, only to get punched in the nuts as he went to use it. From there, Michaels did the "Babe Ruth" in the corner before lamping him in the head.

As an aside, as Beltster alluded to, that match is simply astounding. From the tension between Diesel and Vince, the powerbomb through the table, Jerry Lawler stirring it up and the action itself, virtually everything, including Shawn's after-match reaction, was perfect.

The GS

I f****** hate MVP, he offers nothing to the WWE or Wrestling as a whole. he can't wrestle for crap and he's just utterly Pathetic.
You couldn't have said it better. :thumbup2:

I just watched the show there on Youtube. While I loved the Sheamus attack on HHH and the Cena v Batista build up, I was left disappointed with the Bret v Vince segment.
I am a big Bret Hart fan, and while I enjoy the build up to their match to a certain degree, it's just not something I'd buy the PPV especially for.

FreeSpirit

After watching RAW I'm even more convinced HBK is winning now at WrestleMania after another week of making him look like a complete loser, or if Undertaker does win to keep the streak intact, it will be because HHH screws HBK in the match to end his career.

DraVen

The Bret/Vince stuff was really bad, but it can be salvaged during the Austin week.

Right now, the idea seems to be that Bret is injured, Vince is tormenting him and Bret will get his revenge at Wrestlemania. What I'd be inclined to do, given how badly they've dented it, is to have a contract signing on Raw with Austin as the moderator. Vince signs the contract, gloats about an injured Bret, goads Bret into signing, and then Bret stands up to show he has absolutely no injury whatsoever to a big crowd pop. He explains he did it because he knows Vince loves exploiting people and preying on them at their weakest, so he had to manipulate Vince into thinking he was at his lowest so that he could get him to agree to the match - and now the match is signed, Bret is fine, and Vince is going to get his shit kicked in. Bret signs, arena goes apeshit, Vince is irate and promises to end bret once and for all, one last showdown for the video package, and jobs a good'un.

If they can sign Austin on as guest referee, even better.

As for next week vs. Impact, Vince only cares so much in that he knows he wants to stick a strong main event on the show to rub it in to Hogan if they can crush that match in the ratings. It's not a Bischoff deal where he has a TV monitor under the announcers desk to watch the other show. It's not uncommon, dating back to the WWF vs. JCP days, for the bookers to not have a clue what is actually happening on the rival's show.

iLoveHHH

I f****** hate MVP, he offers nothing to the WWE or Wrestling as a whole. he can't wrestle for crap and he's just utterly Pathetic.

Ryder deserves so much more then jobbing pathetically to that worthless hack.
I totally agree with you on MVP 100%. When i hear his music start up i grab the remote and fast forward anything he's involved in. If he wins the MITB match at Wrestlemania i'm going to be soooooo mad. I don't get why the fans give him such a big pop when he comes out, what exactly does he offer? And his match with Ryder was only about 15 seconds long, made Zac look like a nobody, and seeing as he's come fromECW shouldn't they at least give him some good air time as most people have no idea who he is. Wow, i'm venting some real anger at this!!!

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
The annoying thing about Raw is they had to make their MITB qualifying matches so damn short in order to fit in the completely pointless guest host segments, ie that stupid pillow fight!

It's so annoying when you compare to the good qualifying matches on SD.

Also, I never watched ECW so don't really know anything about Zach Ryder, but what's with his ring attire? It's so stupid..

Dante Spears

Also, I never watched ECW so don't really know anything about Zach Ryder, but what's with his ring attire? It's so stupid..
Simply put, *Zack Ryder has potential, found an interesting character, proved he can keep up his end of a decent upper midcard match, probably doomed with this idiotic move to RAW.

The tights are actually awesome but thanks for coming out. It's an interesting change from y-fronts, pants, boy shorts. And you're suppose to think he's a tool, that's the point.

The GS

I think it's kinda cool. I like things that are different in WWE especially since everyone nowadays seem to be a clones of each other. Sheamus is another example of someone that sports a different look that people find hard to accept. I want more of these unique characters and looks because the cocky heel covered in fake tan and wearing black trunks is getting old.

The Beltster

As for next week vs. Impact, Vince only cares so much in that he knows he wants to stick a strong main event on the show to rub it in to Hogan if they can crush that match in the ratings.
RAW would crush TNA in the ratings if their main event was Cheech and Chong eating cereal, and that was the most shockingly bad garbage since Trump/O'Donnell. TNA cannot hang with WWE in the ratings, Vince has no reason to put a big name match on next weeks show. He obviously is paying attention to TNA even though he claims otherwise when in reality, he has no reason to.

DC

Big Dave in his leather vest had a visual air of Hollywood Rock about him, especially when you saw him from behind.

Dante Spears

Batista's leather wristband was the gayest thing I've ever seen a man wear.
Goldust, Ric Flair, William Regal, Orlando Jordan, Gorgeous George, Mark Henry's power ranger thing, Ryder's lingerie, Kendrick's jackets, Anything Mabel/Vicera/Big Daddy V ever wore in the ring, Colin Delaney in y-fronts, Kozlov's white Y-fronts, just to name a freaking few and your taking issue with A FREAKING WRISTBAND?

Also stop using gay as a derogatory term.

ViciousPrism

Having cheech & Chong on a PG show was the worst thing ever. EVER. Besides Wrestlicious.

Dante Spears

Cheech and Chong totally said eff off to the whole PG thing when Chong was pretending the mic was a bowl.

That and when they were advertising the "get it Legal" tour or whatever.

DraVen

RAW would crush TNA in the ratings if their main event was Cheech and Chong eating cereal, and that was the most shockingly bad garbage since Trump/O'Donnell. TNA cannot hang with WWE in the ratings, Vince has no reason to put a big name match on next weeks show. He obviously is paying attention to TNA even though he claims otherwise when in reality, he has no reason to.
In fairness, WWE put on big-name matches all the time and have done for years, with or without competition. So it's not like he's completely going insane. He's just smart enough to know that there will be hype around TNA's first show, that it IS competition of some form, and that they're going to use that first show to debut a big name or two and make some sort of impression before the ratings start to slide over the next two months. So this is just Vince making sure that all attention is on him and Wrestlemania to cushion any semblance of growth in TNA or fall in Raw ratings. Which is perfect business sense for the first week.

It's not like he watches TNA though, and I would be stunned if he's watched more than five episodes of Impact in his life.

Jung

Heck I'd be stunned if he even watched his own version of ECW every week, let alone TNA.