Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

RAW Discussion Thread - July 5, 2010 from Nashville, TN (#893)

TPIB

Last week's edition of Monday Night RAW scored a 3.3 rating, which is down from the previous week's 3.5 number.

Venue
Bridgestone Arena (formerly known as the Sommet Center) in Nashville, TN

Confirmed Matches/Events

The Verdict for The Nexus To Be Revealed

Build To WWE Money-in-the-Bank

Scotty2Hotty

Cant be bothered getting an early night tonight... So ill stay awake and catch Raw! Although I cant honestly say im too excited about it as im expecting a major disappointment in this latest installment to the nexus story! But never mind, time will tell I whether its good or bad I guess! Thats all :thumbup:

The GS

The opening segment is gonna be the Mac laptop telling the Nexxus guys what the consequences of their actions is.
In other words tonight we should find out if the GM is on the side of the Nexxus guys or against them.

TPIB

I expect one of two things to happen with this NXT "verdict"; either the anonymous GM will do nothing about the attacks and cause some sort of general outrage from the talent or the GM will announce, through some sort of deal with Theodore Long, that some of the members of The Nexus will be going to SmackDown.

Maxximus

Chaotic Good
Forum Leader
Subscriber
No one's home to harass me about it so I think I may watch tonight. If I can keep from cringing that is.

Dave7g

Is it a Mac? If so why is it making windows mail alerts? Of course it could be running boot camp.

The GS

Is it a Mac? If so why is it making windows mail alerts? Of course it could be running boot camp.
It was a Mac the first night. They've just covered the logo up with a sticker now.

They're teasing Stone Cold as GM but I dunno would that really happen. Maybe Steve Jobs is the GM and he's just been stealing Austin's catchphrases.

Dave7g

Well it's not Bill Gates since the laptop/macbook combination han't crashed yet.

Springsteen

Once again, The Miz is an awesome rapper. Good to see his vicious side also.

Rest was ok if nothing else.

StefanC

The gm is not Stone Cold. To obvious.
I think it's either Michael Cole, or Austin's friend: JR.

Scotty2Hotty

So apparently lobbing steel steps at someones head is ok in this PG rated era? kudos WWE! Quite enjoyed this Raw, Money in the Bank is building quite nicely!

Tio

Always a reader of this thread, but this week decided to post. I really enjoyed this weeks Raw , yeah there was the usual silliness of course but I enjoyed it . Some of the highlights for me.

The Miz , not just the vicious attack but the way he sat there after it,almost deranged I liked it .

Maryse taking a phone call during Teddy's match, it was a classic little heel thing to do and it put down Micheal Cole perfectly.

Edge/Jericho tag match was a good match , and done in such a way that no one was made to look weak. (Is Evan Bourne starting to fit in the midcard? , I think so)

Jimmy Redman

I know how people feel about Raw these days, but I'm half an hour into this show and its been GREAT. Astonishingly great.

MARYSE is the greatest wrestler in the entire world today. Just immense. Maryse interrupting commentary to answer her phone and talk to her girlfriend is something that only happens in my fantasy-booking dreams. And thats before getting into "I love money, Teddy is rich, thats just a coincidence!" and putting Morrison's coat on as interference. Wonderful woman, and there's hope for Teddy yet.

Opening segment was fantastic, loved all of it. Skip saying they beat up Steamboat for fun, Justin Gabriel's new douchebag haircut, the heat these guys get. I actually really like the computer GM, how they're in the middle of stuff and the GM beeps go off and interrupts everyone like an asshole. Cole doing it just adds to that too. And I loved the Stone Cold tease, I assume its not him and they're just throwing a red herring out there, but its fun. They should tease a different guy every week. Cena coming out with his friends to FINALLY come get some and then the heels are assholes and ruin it, awesome. I actually cant wait to see the Cena/Wade confrontation.

I love the "feel" of the Nexus angle. How its THE angle, its the thing they start off talking about, they keep talking about it through the show, they show the replay of the big beatdowns, and the show ends with them. I love how now there's Nexus, there's a babyface faction wanting to take them down, and a heel faction who want to thwart the babyfaces, because they cant let go of their feuds, and they want to court favour with Nexus. So whether you're for or against them, everyone on the show has a vested interest in what happens. Its so exciting to have a gigantic angle like this, that involves everyone and has consequences week-by-week, especially after the last 18 months or so of Raw which seemed stuck on a never-ending loop of the same formulaic show, with nothing that ever happened seeming to matter by the next week.

Moving on, Santino is great and I could watch him have 2 minute comedy matches until the end of time. Fun stuff. And considering the gathering of sh*tty wrestlers he had to work with as well, that was quite the feat.

ARN ANDERSON SIGHTING BITCHES! I love that man so much. He still cuts a better promo than practically anyone ever, and I loved the whole idea of the Nexus victim pleading with Sheamus to put aside his hatred and join together for the good of the company, while Sheamus still thinks he's untouchable. Making such an effort to recruit Sheamus because he's the WWE Champion makes him seem important.

Miz is great. Of course that hardly needs to be said. I wasnt expecting what he did to Truth, so that was a bit random, I assume he's injured or something. But it was really well done, and Miz sitting there staring at Truth at the end of it was awesome, as was his promo.

I could take or leave both Edge talking, and heels bickering with each other, but Jericho was good enough to make this interesting. I liked the little three-way brawl here. The tag match was quite good, good work and good heat for it too. I must say I absolutely loved the way that Jericho and Edge begrudgingly tag each other, but once Jericho goes off at Edge he's like "Well f*ck you then", spears him and leaves. Gives it a bit more substance than the usual "refuse the tag, walk out" stuff. Conversely I really didnt like Orton RKOing Bourne for no reason. They were getting along. I can understand the thinking since they portray Orton as still kind of an asshole, and "every man for himself", but I still didnt like it, and the crowd didnt seem to either.

I liked Nexus approaching Orton backstage to cut a deal. Continuing my whole "the whole show and the whole roster revolves around this" theme.

I liked Alicia trying to steal back some spotlight too. She's not the best promo you ever saw, but at least they're giving her some kind of an angle. In the same way I liked the match too, apart from the jobbing of Eve, I enjoyed the asshole-ness of it, she keeps the title while still not getting into a fair fight.

Ending was awesome. Barrett is fantastic. Cena going into his comedy right at that crucial moment almost KILLED me, I was shaking my head so hardcore but then he got serious and (thankfully) saved it. Anyway I liked him being defiant Cena, Nexus beat him down again but this time there's help, not enough at first, but all the babyfaces band together and save him. And the rest of it was fantastic. Cena STFing Young so the GM screws him over, Cena snaps and KILLS Young so hard, to at least take one of them out. Angry Cena is the best Cena we can possibly get, and he was great for those moments. I especially liked the touch of throwing the table over him (even though it missed), and the crowd went absolutely nuts for all of it, which was great to watch. Just all in all a great episode, no boring bits and the main angles were fantastic and made me really want to watch next week. And I consider anything making me really want to watch Raw in 2010 to be a gigantic success.