Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

RAW Discussion Thread- January 19, 2009 from Chicago, IL (#817)

TPIB

Venue: Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL (CM Punk's Hometown)

(ECW on Sci-Fi for January 20 will be taped prior to RAW in the same venue)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Final Build To The Royal Rumble

Return of Mr. McMahon

Official Contract Signing for World Heavyweight Title Match

Intercontinental Championship: No DQ:
William Regal (c) Vs. CM Punk

Rey Mysterio Vs. Mike Knox

Last edited:

JamesMXPX

Does anyone think that either Knox or Mysterio has nothing credible with a win in this match?

The 300 pound Knox who's been knocking two shades of sh1t out of 160 pound Mysterio for the last six weeks.
Or another way of looking at it: Former World Champ beating man who's never won anything in WWE

I just don't see how a victory for either is going to be worthwhile tbh. Or is that just me?

JamesMXPX

OMFG, WHOEVER READS THIS. GET THE FINAL SEGMENT OF MONDAY NIGHT RAW ON JANUARY 20TH 2009 OPEN ON YOUTUBE OR WHATEVER, AND WATCH IT.
I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW AMAZING IT IS. SERIOUSLY.

H}{H-Evolution

Orton....Just....well...I loved that. So much! :D

His stock is about to skyrocket to the moon, and only a fool would ignore the signs...!

Go Randy! XD

Suphix

The best episode of RAW I have seen in a LONg time bar none! The ending was a total shock and surprise, great stuff in my opinion. Some of the show was a little slow moving but the end segment alone made up for it :D

10/10

Cathal

Randy Orton is the coolest motherf*cker alive, kicking the returning boss in the head and putting him on the shelf on his first night back is awesome. I was hoping he wouldn't show any remorse after he had done it but it was still 5 star stuff.

Really good show, a few weeks ago I had no interest in seeing JBL vs. Cena but the build to it has been good stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing who they go with as champion, either is plausable.

Priceless need to change back to their old theme too, that new version sucks.

EDIT - I hope this doesn't lead to Orton vs. Vince at WM.

Last edited:

Dutt

Well that was a great show, stand out moment had to be the final segment, Jericho's facial expressions were absolutely priceless.
Can't say I saw the punt kick coming but it'll sure get people watching the PPV to see what happens with Jericho and Orton.
Awesome Raw, but did Melina vs Jillian really have to be on there, truely f*cking atrocious match and a complete waste of airtime, could've had 10 more mins of Regal/Punk..

Dogfingers

Yup I think thats pretty much sealed Ortons victory. He'll win the rumble and therefore wont be able to be fired.

That last segment was fantastic (as was Regal/Punk) Jericho's insincere facial expressions were hilarious and Orton really cemented himself as a hotheaded maniac.

Im sure this is gonna lead to some McMahon match at WM with Jericho fighting on behalf of shane.

Danny Styles

Great Raw, the only thing that annoys me is Orton being made to look a tool in the backstage segment with Stephanie, he's meant to be a bad ass main eventer and Stephanie McMahon isn't afraid of him and talks him down, it just made him look so weak

The Mcmahon ego trip isn't a good sign, orton should have been cold and not bothered by punting Vince, not shocked by his actions!

Last edited:

Da Showstoppa

I thought for a second Orton was gonna punt Stephanie as well. Orton's expressions were brilliant, from the viciousness and intent of the kick to Vince's head and then the realisation of what he'd done moments later.

While I hope this doesn't lead to McMahon V Orton in the ring, I wonder if there will be a major feud between the two (like with Austin) only this time, Vince will be the face.

Also Jericho was on top form too - he really does play the snivelling heel exceptionally well. Overall a good Raw, I have to say that I saw Punk's win coming as soon as I found out they were in Chicago - I hope they go with Regal attempting to get it back.

Danny Styles

I hope Orton doesn't go into a fued with McMaahon, i hope he goes round punting anyone who dares match his glare, if he RKO'd and punted Stephanie that would make him the biggest bad-ass in the WWE

Dave7g

I really wanted Orton to do Steph aswell. She's absolutley horrible in all her segments, and managed to still look like a moocow whilst all dressed in black.

Nice stiff kick to Vince, but why does he have toget killed everytime he appears on tv? There is not a human alive that is going to fall for it anymore. An if anything actually happened to on a show, nobody would buy it.

Punk/Regal was a match that would have had me buy the rumble, instead they have some pathetic Diva's match that won't make a cent.

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
orton for the rumble now, surely!

The biggest heel i've seen since HHH's days back around attitude era-early 2000's

i see orton to win it to prevent him getting fired and cena to defend with mcmahons in his corner.

EDIT-I believe punk now holds the record for capturing all raw belts the fastest.

Nemesis Enforcer

Really good show with Orton who was superb all night long being the star of it

I did not see the punt to Vince comming or the way he stoke to Steph backstage it sounded so much like a shoot on her, that he was speaking for all the people who hate Steph on the net really good stuff

Did Michels or JBL screw up with the punch to Cena? Michaels went to hit him then stopped and both just stood and looked at Cena then as Michaels went to hit him JBL tried to do so aswell almost colliding with Michaels, looked really screwed up like someone missed a cue or something

Everything else on Raw was good but the whole show was dragged up from good to great simply by Orton and his punting of Vince

FreeSpirit

Orton was hilarious with the punt heard around the world. And LMFAO at Jillian Hall singing "If I were a Boy". Her gimmick never gets old as far as I'm concerned.

Jung

While the Orton kick sounded good, everything before that with Steph was just so pointless and detrimental.

If Orton's a ruthless b*stars who can destroy anyone and strikes fear into people, why is Steph not even the slightest bit intimidated by him? Makes his whole character redundant.

I mean not comparing the two in any way, but imagine if Vader back in 1992 basically got b*tchslapped by Steph, who wasn't frightened of him at all? Would have ruined his character.

And the only purpose it serves is to massage Steph's ego. Forget the millions of dollars you are weeing away while making Orton and Jericho (who a few months ago had no problem trying to destroy HBK's career yet is now begging to Steph?!).

I just don't get it. While the Orton kick at the end mildly made up for it, he still look frightened by what he''d done. Why? Why is he scared of an old man and his daughter? He should bully them so they are scared of firing him or even talking to him. Anything else kind of mutes his character, which he actually does really well.

And thats why it's such a shame because for the most part it's done really well (same with JBL/HBK) but there are little bits which stop me fully investing, because of stupid stuff like the initial premise of the HBK thing (when he appears each week are we supposed to assume he's not getting paid by the WWE?) and Orton and Jericho not even making Steph flinch.

It's a real shame to an otherwise decent product.

H}{H-Evolution

Stiff looking kick, though - Vince is a tough trooper to take that without hesitation, no doubt! XD

Gooneronastick

While the Orton kick sounded good, everything before that with Steph was just so pointless and detrimental.

If Orton's a ruthless b*stars who can destroy anyone and strikes fear into people, why is Steph not even the slightest bit intimidated by him? Makes his whole character redundant.

I mean not comparing the two in any way, but imagine if Vader back in 1992 basically got b*tchslapped by Steph, who wasn't frightened of him at all? Would have ruined his character.

And the only purpose it serves is to massage Steph's ego. Forget the millions of dollars you are weeing away while making Orton and Jericho (who a few months ago had no problem trying to destroy HBK's career yet is now begging to Steph?!).

I just don't get it. While the Orton kick at the end mildly made up for it, he still look frightened by what he''d done. Why? Why is he scared of an old man and his daughter? He should bully them so they are scared of firing him or even talking to him. Anything else kind of mutes his character, which he actually does really well.

And thats why it's such a shame because for the most part it's done really well (same with JBL/HBK) but there are little bits which stop me fully investing, because of stupid stuff like the initial premise of the HBK thing (when he appears each week are we supposed to assume he's not getting paid by the WWE?) and Orton and Jericho not even making Steph flinch.

It's a real shame to an otherwise decent product.
I understand what your saying here Jung, however I think Steph thinks that being "Daddy's Little Girl" means that none of the talent would ever dare get physical with her (in the violent sense of course). Add that to being the GM on Raw and that would breed enough confidence in her, for her to believe she's untouchable.

As much as I think she should leave creative to do their thing, she's playing it just right with the on-screen stuff (even if her voice grates on me).

As for Vince being bullied by Orton.........that would kill the Mr McMahon character completely. Mr McMahon has been the master bully in WWE since his feud with Stone Cold. Orton knows after the fact what he's gonna get once Vince returns and his expressions showed this on Raw, which were spot on IMHO. I do think that Randy should start bragging on it once he's won the Rumble, if nothing more than to build the Vince vs Orton inevitability, probably for Summerslam.