Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

RAW Discussion Thread - February 22, 2010 from Indianapolis, IN (#874)

Paul

It was a good video, but I think the Austin/Rock and Rock/Mankind ones were better. Other than that I cant think of any better.

Dante Spears

I didn't really think the promo was amazing. It certainly wasn;t better then the Edge/Jeff Hardy promo for Extreme Rules last year, which I rate as one of the best.

DraVen

It was, by miles.

It was even better than the utterly fantastic Orton/Cena one which was the initial benchmark. It had absolutely everything - it told the complete story, it set the scene, it created emotion, it made grand use of a song you wouldn't usually associate with pro wrestling (by a well-known and very talented band no less), it used archive footage which I always completely mark for when they do, and it made what will be a close-to-5-stars match seem like people should actually go out and buy the show to see it. The production was second-to-none but it actually did what it was meant to do and that's even more important in a UFC world where video packages can often be the difference between a good few hundred-thousand purchases.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if TNA were smart, and they're not, they'd fire half their roster and head-hunt members of the WWE production team because I guarantee as actual certified fact that TNA ratings and PPV buys would go up with a production team that isn't completely inept and totally sh*t. I can never give WWE production enough props because they always do an outstanding job without fail.

And given that WWE booking is really good right now and this is the best built Mania is practically a decade if not longer (I'd argue the best build since WM14, though some will say 21), its timing couldn't be better.

JC

It was, by miles.

It was even better than the utterly fantastic Orton/Cena one which was the initial benchmark. It had absolutely everything - it told the complete story, it set the scene, it created emotion, it made grand use of a song you wouldn't usually associate with pro wrestling (by a well-known and very talented band no less), it used archive footage which I always completely mark for when they do, and it made what will be a close-to-5-stars match seem like people should actually go out and buy the show to see it. The production was second-to-none but it actually did what it was meant to do and that's even more important in a UFC world where video packages can often be the difference between a good few hundred-thousand purchases.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if TNA were smart, and they're not, they'd fire half their roster and head-hunt members of the WWE production team because I guarantee as actual certified fact that TNA ratings and PPV buys would go up with a production team that isn't completely inept and totally sh*t. I can never give WWE production enough props because they always do an outstanding job without fail.

And given that WWE booking is really good right now and this is the best built Mania is practically a decade if not longer (I'd argue the best build since WM14, though some will say 21), its timing couldn't be better.
God I'd love to see the world through your eyes for just a day.

BRM

Forum Leader
It's a good video, but not a patch on this

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1myj98UA_I&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1myj98UA_I&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Furio

I didnt bother with the shitfest that is RAW but watched the video. Thats video is as overrated as the match at last years WM.
Specsavers for you.........

If you think last years match was overrated then you might as well start watching polo or some crap.

The Beltster

That Rock/Austin/WM17 video is probably the best video build for a match that WWE have ever done. The part where they are clanking the beers together is great, I remember the tension in the ring on that episode while it was happening. I wish they had the production qualities, staff and technology back in the 80's. I'd love to have seen what they would have done with the huge feuds from the golden age.

They put a really good WM3 one on the Legends of WM game and it was a taster of what it would have been like in those days. The buyrates for those shows with these types of video builds would have been even bigger.

Jung

It was, by miles.

In a decade? Really?

Granted the last couple of years have been poor, but before that they've generally been decent enough. 17, 19, 20, 21 were all pretty good and very logical, even 22 was decent and 24 had some top booking. I wouldn't say this year was any better than them personally. I mean they've got 3 matches sorted. That's it. Even 24 had some great stuff with Floyd/Show, HBK/Flair and Taker/Edge beforehand, certainly IMO as good if not better than this year.

Haven't a clue what anything else will be. And the 3 matches they've got sorted (potentially 4 but time will tell) have been done pretty damn well, HBK/Taker especially. But Bret/Vince has meandered a bit and Jericho/Edge is booking 101. Straightforward and logical, but certainly not out of the ordinary brilliant.

And I suppose we'll see in the ratings if the run of good shows make a difference. Certainly so far it hasn't, as it's just meandering around 3.6 all the time, which is worrying as Raw, generally, has been good.

Last edited:

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
Something JR says as a throwaway line in that Rock/Austin video "Sixty Thousand at the Astrodome to see The Rock & Stone Cold" - how many people now buy tickets to see a match? How many buy tix just because it's 'Mania or a PPV? There's nothing really on THAT level.

DC

I loved the sit-down interview with both of them and the whole idea of Debra being Rock's manager, followed by Austin going loony when Kurt trapped her in the ankle lock.

"The fact is, Rock, you've got the WWF Title and I want it."

That's all the storyline they needed.

The Beltster

When it comes to the main event, thats all the story should ever be. You have the belt, I want it. Keep it simple and basic and it works, throw in a billion shitty swerves and all that other stupid crap and its WWE 2010.

Da Showstoppa

When it comes to the main event, thats all the story should ever be. You have the belt, I want it. Keep it simple and basic and it works, throw in a billion shitty swerves and all that other stupid crap and its WWE 2010.
You know since your boy Hogan went to TNA, you've been sh*tting on WWE non stop. Obviously I appreciate you may prefer TNA but please can you temper your hatred of WWE. I respect you as one of the most intelligent posters here, so this is certainly not a flame - more of an observation. Taker V Michaels was hardly overrated.

Anywhoo.

Good solid Raw again, and Taker and Michaels "streek V career" I CALLED IT WEEKS AGO!

Although I'm a monumental HBK mark, I'm happy that Shawn has decided to finish his in ring career (assuming Taker keeps the streak, which I think he will) while he is still at something resembling top capacity.

I'm also hoping that Shawn will take a role as Raw GM, a great way to end the celebrity host BS.

You certainly can see Orton's influence in Ted Dibiase, I was worried WWE were flirting with turning Orton, but his psychotic reaction was just awesome to behold. Orton is the best heel WWE, no wrestling - has had in the past few years.

I'll say again, I love Batista as a heel too, I assume Cena will be taking time off soon to get the surgery (alledgedly) needed on his spine. I think he'll get to mania and then get the surgery.

Edge V Jericho - lookng forward to that.

The Beltster

You know since your boy Hogan went to TNA, you've been sh*tting on WWE non stop. Obviously I appreciate you may prefer TNA but please can you temper your hatred of WWE. I respect you as one of the most intelligent posters here, so this is certainly not a flame - more of an observation. Taker V Michaels was hardly overrated.
I've been hating on WWE for years and it has nothing to do with Hogan showing up in TNA, and since Hogan has been in TNA, I've said how shit alot of the garbage they put out is, including Hogans last segment with Abyss which was a joke.

I'm not going to temper my hatred of WWE until they give me something that I dont consider to be shit. Why should I? Why should anybody? I've been putting money in Vince's pocket for over 25 years, I think I've earned my right to say his product is crap. I've said certain things in WWE have been good but overall its been garbage. Its my opinion, I'm not telling you to agree with it.

As for Shawn/Taker. It was overrated for me. I'm not speaking for you or anybody else. The first 10 minutes put me to sleep. There have been any number of matches over the years I'd rate as superior. It was good, it wasnt something that makes me want to go back and watch it again.

You mention observations, I've observed that if you say anything anti-WWE, the WWE Universe get mad. You can enjoy it all you want, doesnt mean we all have to or have to agree on what is or isnt good, great or overrated.

And as for the "your boy" comment...maybe you are enjoying this crap so much because "your boy" Shawn Michaels is all over it like stink on shit. Let's see what you think when the old boy toy is gone and you have to watch the same stuff without anybody you really give a toss about and see if you rate it so highly then.

Last edited:

Da Showstoppa

I've been hating on WWE for years and it has nothing to do with Hogan showing up in TNA, and since Hogan has been in TNA, I've said how shit alot of the garbage they put out is, including Hogans last segment with Abyss which was a joke.

I'm not going to temper my hatred of WWE until they give me something that I dont consider to be shit. Why should I? Why should anybody? I've been putting money in Vince's pocket for over 25 years, I think I've earned my right to say his product is crap. I've said certain things in WWE have been good but overall its been garbage. Its my opinion, I'm not telling you to agree with it.

As for Shawn/Taker. It was overrated for me. I'm not speaking for you or anybody else. The first 10 minutes put me to sleep. There have been any number of matches over the years I'd rate as superior. It was good, it wasnt something that makes me want to go back and watch it again.

You mention observations, I've observed that if you say anything anti-WWE, the WWE Universe get mad. You can enjoy it all you want, doesnt mean we all have to or have to agree on what is or isnt good, great or overrated.
Fair points, I guess maybe I noticed the pro TNA sentiment a bit more recently. I'm not telling anyone what to think, it just seemed a bit like fanboyism and a realize from what you said that that was not the case. For the record, I'm happy Shawn is calling it a day. WWE has turned Randy Orton into a great heel, so I'll still be watching.

The Beltster

Fair points, I guess maybe I noticed the pro TNA sentiment a bit more recently. I'm not telling anyone what to think, it just seemed a bit like fanboyism and a realize from what you said that that was not the case. For the record, I'm happy Shawn is calling it a day. WWE has turned Randy Orton into a great heel, so I'll still be watching.
I'm not a huge TNA fan, I'm watching it right now just because its something different from WWE with a handful of stars I enjoy seeing. I still cant sit through an entire episode without skipping through. It takes me probably an hour to watch a 2 hour Impact, it was taking me 7-8 minutes to watch a 2 hour episode of RAW. SD! took about 35 minutes and I didnt bother with ECW at all. I just watched NXT and it was good, I like the concept so I'll be watching that. I havent watched a single episode of Superstars or TNA Xplosion.

What I'm saying is I'm not a fanboy of either, I skim through both promotions stuff, but obviously Hogan is going to make me watch, I mean that goes without saying, doesnt mean what Hogan is involved in is any good. I'm not a TNA homer, I'm a Hogan homer. I have no problem saying when he is sucking though, I think WWE homers have a MASSIVE complex about admitting when WWE are in the toilet, like its some big reflection on them or something ridiculous like that.

Paul

Yeah Belty has been slating WWE for years. Though it has been more obvious in the last couple of months.

JC

It has become incredibly easy to the point out the downright dreadful though in the last two months.

PPV name changes, Vince/Bret etc etc.

Pish.

The Beltster

No, its NEVER been this bad. Its been obvious the past few months because WWE has been complete and utter pure shit. I've never seen a wrestling show as bad as current day RAW. Its just awful.