Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

RAW Discussion Thread - December 28, 2009 from Hartford, CT (#866)

TPIB

Venue
XL Center in Hartford, CT

Last week's edition of RAW scored a 3.2 rating, which is down from the previous week's 3.5 number (drawn in the normal two-hour slot)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Mr. McMahon To Address The Rumored Return of Bret Hart

WWE Championship:
Sheamus (c) Vs. John Cena

Timbaland To Serve As Guest Host

Final RAW of 2009

Last edited:

TPIB

Some big news off of WWE.com; they have announced that, on tonight's RAW, Vince McMahon will appear to address the rumors of a Bret Hart return.

Speaking of which, DirecTV & DISH Network have both said in their previews for the January 4 RAW that Bret is returning.

Internets

Cena's match tonight is the most talked about for months!

Despite being announced last week.

Brilliant, King.

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
i don't remember timbaland being that fat since i last saw him on raw.

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
AND ITS CONFIRMED!!!!!!!! The hitman hosts raw next week

Dante Spears

Is it just me or does RAW seem less horrible then last week?

and of course i fall asleep during one like this but was completely awake for last week

H}{H-Evolution

I'm gonna be streaming both TNA and Raw for this epic day next week...my god, next Monday is legit the most exciting Night I've been capable to tune into - Stuff is going DOWN!

...And maybe TNA's ratings, too. :3 J/k

The GS

RAW was more enjoyable than usual tonight.
Vince just killed any chance TNA have of competing with RAW with the Bret Hart announcement.

Dante Spears

Why the hell haven't they been building to the Royal Rumble? They've been give extra time to build which is invaluable with the era of a PPV every 3/4 weeks and the last three weeks they've been d*cking around and haven't mentioned it.

I'm also starting to cringe every time I see Cena's shoulder block because of the cr*p that follows.

Last edited:

TPIB

I'm also starting to cringe every time I see Cena's shoulder block because of the cr*p that follows.
You mean the remaining four moves in his move set?

I am a big fan of the Royal Rumble, but I think that it is beyond reasonable that they are waiting to start the promotion considering the fact that Bret Hart is returning next week.

A much better RAW this week, but you kind of had to expect that considering that it was the last RAW before Bret Hart's return to the WWE.

I was amped up about Bret's return before, but now I am even more intrigued after the interaction between Vince & Michaels. If they did not have Mike Tyson and Jon Heder & Don Johnson booked to host RAW the two following weeks, I would peg Bret's role as being the GM of RAW.

I find it interesting that they have Bret returning on January 4 and Mike Tyson serving as Guest Host the following week on January 11. Some interaction between HBK & Tyson is almost a guarantee, but I wonder if Bret will be involved with it.

The DX comedy was actually pretty decent this week. Who hasn't wanted to tape a midget to a skateboard and knock Jillian over with it? I bet TNA are trying to get Tazz situated on a skateboard right about now :lol:

To me, this WWE & TNA one-night war situation is a bit like a card game with WWE saying "I see your Hulk Hogan and I raise you a Bret Hart", with TNA replying with "I fold".

I have said it before and I know we are all thinking it, but I have to say, once again, that I never thought I would see Bret in a WWE ring ever again; much less being there for four months. It re-instills hope for The Rock to return to RAW, though it would be a one-night deal as a Guest Host, I imagine. With his movie, "The Tooth Fairy" coming out soon, I have hope it will happen soon.

The_Great_Muta

I imagine. With his movie, "The Tooth Fairy" coming out soon, I have hope it will happen soon.
That movie looks awful, just plain awful.

Anyways, pretty good RAW tonight, but like others have said, next week should be awesome. The DX vs. JeriShow rematch should be good. The Kofi vs. Orton rematch will probably be pretty bleh. Obviously Bret Hart returning will be the focus, with interactions between McMahon and Michaels. My money is on Michaels siding with Bret and going against Vince, that way he can go back to Canada :p.

It looks like WWE is going to give TNA that 3rd hour alone though, which is too bad.

H}{H-Evolution

That third hour will probably be the single most important 60 minutes of free time TNA will EVER have.
It's not something to take lightly - so they better not screw that up...

MastersGonads

Much better Raw last night, after the debacle of last week, where I think the writers went on Christmas break a few days early.

Orton getting Legacy back on track to make them a legit threat, and then blind siding Kingston to reignite their fued was all promising.

DX v Jerishow should be worth a watch, and this Raw had very little Triple H bar the Main Event which was actually enjoyable. Plus Jericho outside the arena with his petition was how the WWE should use comedy in their shows...not a Small People's Court

Cena v Sheamus is pretty boring, but the more Sheamus kills Cena by sneak attacks, the bette this fued will become..as it makes him and his eign more believable...

Really enjoyed the McMahon/HBK interaction...adds intrigue to Bret's return and participation over the next few months and helped what should be a great build for HBK v Taker it it happens...

If Vince is on top form and this is booked correctly, the Bret v Vince angle over the next few months could make Raw unmissable...

Jung

I thought the show was better than in recent weeks, which made it seem decent but it still wasn't a great show.

It's all abit WCW with mounds of segments and constant 1 minute matches. The idea of 2 hours is you have time to flesh things out not fit as many things in as possible. For example why have Cena and Sheamus face each other if you're just gonna have a non-finish after 2 minutes? Makes that and their 10 minute opening segment a waste of time.

Jericho being on Raw was hilarious. Seriously since he's been banished from Raw has he actually ever not been on Raw and the whole HHH challenging him to a match where he's "definitely" won't be on Raw...what was the first stip then?

The Kingston/Miz thing was a bit annoying simply as why make Miz the guy who gets destroyed in 2 minutes for the sake of a feud which has already unfortunately died a death.

The Vince segment was good albeit not great. The crowd really didn't react at all to the whole thing and it was a bit coded using the whole "we assume you know all the details" logic which judging by the crowd reaction...most of them didn't. In saying that it's just the beginning, so it needs time. But they need to explain why it's so massive, why there is so much hate and why it's such a momental moment. So far it's too secretive.

But there was much less comedy than before, things did have build for the future, even if they were a bit dodgy, so all in all it was a decent enough show for me.

DraVen

No love for the Bret Hart video? Once again, the production team outdo themselves. That sh*t was so awesome and pretty much explained as much as everyone needs to know, for the first week at least, to get the feud kicked off.

[YOUTUBE]N6sMwvCwjpg[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously, how can everyone overlook such a killer vid?

Last edited:

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
It even referenced the really cool "BRET!!!!!!!" promo where he gives the glasses to the kid. You just know Hornswoggle is gonna want those glasses :D

The GS

For example why have Cena and Sheamus face each other if you're just gonna have a non-finish after 2 minutes? Makes that and their 10 minute opening segment a waste of time.
You have to look at it from a marks point of view too.
Sheamus getting disqualified after all the build-up makes him even more hated by the fans.

Naitch

For some strange reason I thought for a second that the blonde lady Jericho was sitting beside in the front row was a plant. She was very into Jericho being there and being on camera and busted out a sweet ass 'aww you poor thing' look to Jericho when Big Show broke his heart after showing up with another man. The point is I became increasingly enamoured with her as the match progressed. The negative is she was undressing Jericho with her eyes throughout and clearly wanted to have sex with him. I don't stand a chance.

That's all I got.

Okay, last time you were beat you were banned from Raw FOREVER...but this time we really, really, really, cross out hearts and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye, REALLY mean it this time. Really.

Still, any show which begins with Chris Jericho: Conspiracy Victim (and, indeed, any with Maryse in general) is an automatic plus from me.

Some Hart guy is coming back next week. Might be Tony. I doubt it though because he's retired. And also dead.

I liked the 4 whole people that did the 'We want Bret' chant. A good proportion of their audience don't know the ins and outs of Montreal enough to care about it and then a good proportion of their audience do know the ins and outs of Montreal but have ceased giving a shit about it in 2009. Obviously they've got time to work around that and the video package did make Bret seem like a big deal so there we go.

Not that I've ever done it but I imagine it'd be an interesting mindfu*k for all parties involved trying to explain Montreal to a young'un (some would say, rather patronisingly one supposes, a 'mark') though.

'Well, Vince screwed Bret out of the title at Survivor Series 1997. He got the timekeeper to ring the bell when Shawn Michaels had Bret in a submission.'

'So it was 12 years ago?'

'Yep.'

'And we're still supposed to care about it?'

'Apparently.'

'And it was like when Teddy Long screwed Undertaker?'

'Well, no, I mean, Vince really screwed Bret. It was for real.'

'For real?'

'Yep.'

'So what was Teddy Long's then?'

'Well, um, ah, gee...THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS.'

Also, Mr. Timbaland (if that is your real name), sir:

I mean, what the fu*k? Was RVD backstage? That guy was off his trolley.

It was a better show than the last couple of shitfests, I'll give it that much.