Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Protesters/The Iraq War/Nagasaki Dolls

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Me, fightin' the power.....man. Note that I only have one "angry political" pose and use it in every photo.

The Beltster

Serious question: do picketers against the war actually realise they are wasting their time completely, and that nobody takes any notice?

Sad but true.

Also, did you check the guy's hat next to you in pic 2 for explosives? :deviltail: ;) I see Russell Brand put his time in for the cause aswell, as shown in pic 4!

MojoPogo

Serious question: do picketers against the war actually realise they are wasting their time completely, and that nobody takes any notice?

Sad but true.

Also, did you check the guy's hat next to you in pic 2 for explosives? :deviltail: ;) I see Russell Brand put his time in for the cause aswell, as shown in pic 4!
Serious question 2 - do voters and in fact ANY sort of protesters realise they're wasting they're time completely, as nobody in any position of power gives a rats ass about what we think? Politicians, council, police, the judiciary. They're all the f'ng same. :info7:

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Meh, I'd rather fail trying something than succeed in doing nothing.

Also, the civil rights movement, the Indian independance movement, the women's rights movement, the anti-apartide movement, the gay rights movement, the anti-battery farm movement and many others kinda piss all over your question Belty.

If enough people make a fuss, atleast cynical polititians will listen, if only to get more votes. It's happened countless times before. Either that, or you can sit on your a*se all day complaining about how nothing will ever change, whilst doing nothing about it.

Jung

I think when it comes to social change, marches can help things.

However when it comes to war, it hasn't a hope. Countries only ever pull out of wars years after they originally should have, when even a blind deaf retard can realise it's now going horribly wrong.

See pretty much every war in the world in the past 60 years for an example to that.

The Beltster

Meh, I'd rather fail trying something than succeed in doing nothing.

Also, the civil rights movement, the Indian independance movement, the women's rights movement, the anti-apartide movement, the gay rights movement, the anti-battery farm movement and many others kinda piss all over your question Belty.

If enough people make a fuss, atleast cynical polititians will listen, if only to get more votes. It's happened countless times before. Either that, or you can sit on your a*se all day complaining about how nothing will ever change, whilst doing nothing about it.
Hold up, do me a favour first off will you, and drop your f*cking attitude, I didnt give you any, I simply voiced a question.

They "piss all over" my question do they? And I guess you are attempting to compare you and a small group of people who will be likely looked upon as "annoying foreigners with nothing better to to than complain" (for right or for wrong and whether you like it or not) to the womens rights movement, among others? Please, dont make me laugh mate. Big difference, trying to get rights for gays or women, and actually attempting to convince the government to pull out of a war!

I tell you what, I'll guarentee you that your little public grumble wont amount to jack sh*t, how about that, and if I'm wrong, you can feel free to open your mouth and spout your attitude again...

And if you are saying that everybody who doesnt waste their time doing what you did (and lets make no mistake about it, you DID waste your time) is a lazy git who sits around on their arse's all day doing nothing, then you are VERY ignorant. Most of us have better things to do, thats all.

Now do you want to keep this going, because I'll argue with you all f'n day if you want to.

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
**Can you feel the love tonight.....**

I feel a drama llama moment coming on!

Al Stevens

I would be tempted to picket and march to whitehall however i am too lazy and cannot be bothered to do so :lol:

Actually i havent been on a march or protest ever.... Guess i am not a real student then ;)

Laffy

Wales forever!!!
The only march i went on was against the Iraq war, it got me nowhere but i feel i put my point accross even if no one listened. Also I felt I was helping my bro who was out fighting the war. We were connected if you like for that moment.

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Question...

Do the Essex Student body know that the US or the UK will not go after Iran, even with the current state of affairs surrounding Iran's 'alleged' nuclear weapons program?

The US are gearing towards a regime change and also are currently bogged down in TWO conflicts so there is no way they are going to commit to anything but sanctions which Iran will get around.

Seen as the US won't be going then neither will we.

I like to see the youth of today also engaging in these marches but when it comes to voting and deciding who comes to power and could possibly make a difference they just don't seem to care.

Not saying thats how you are J-Rock, just the nations youth in general.

Red05

Cool pictures, Mr Hancock, keep on protesting. Don't let anybody tell you that you're wasting your time!

The Beltster

Cool pictures, Mr Hancock, keep on protesting. Don't let anybody tell you that you're wasting your time!
Whats up with your snide little remark? I didnt realise it was against the f*cking law to have an opposing opinion...

I'll tell anybody I want, anything I want, just so you know.

Here's an idea, instead of dropping a retarded little snide comment without any substance, please give a little explaination as to why it isnt a waste of time, when history proves it is...you think people picketing about pulling out of a war will make ANY difference, because it wont, and due to that, its a waste of time, right?

Right.

Red05

Sorry Beltmark, I didn't intend that as a snide remark at all, I just think it's cool that he's protesting - being active about something he believes in and such. I realise that some people think it's a waste of time, and that's cool, I can understand it, but right now I'm in such a positive mood that being active about one's beliefs is a cool concept! You gotta fight the power, maaaan!

ajkennedy

There's no hard in protesting, why shouldn't you do it for something you believe in.

It's better than the fat *******s sitting down and complaining.

Last edited:

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
Please give a little explaination as to why it isnt a waste of time, when history proves it is...you think people picketing about pulling out of a war will make ANY difference, because it wont, and due to that, its a waste of time, right?

Right.
Case in point?

People protested about the Vietnam War in the US from around 1964 onwards and they did this through to the end of the war.

So thats through the administrations of Johnson, Nixon and Ford, that's three presidents over the course of 11 or so years.

The only reason they left was due to the cost of the war and also the obvious fact that the South Vietnam government was beyond help and the populace was against the increasing damage to the country.

Not even Hanoi Jane stopped the war.

Beltmark though, calm down and stop the anger. I didn't read Ray's post as a dig and I don't think he would mean it that way.

Last edited:

The Beltster

Sorry Beltmark, I didn't intend that as a snide remark at all, I just think it's cool that he's protesting - being active about something he believes in and such. I realise that some people think it's a waste of time, and that's cool, I can understand it, but right now I'm in such a positive mood that being active about one's beliefs is a cool concept! You gotta fight the power, maaaan!
Maybe I took it wrong, if so, I apologise. Lately there has just been alot of nonsense around here that has been grinding on my nerves, instances where two people have opposing opinions and one person is told their opinion should be ignored, I HATE that!

Its fine to protest, and my problem with Hancock wasnt his protesting, I told him I think its sad that his efforts would be for nothing, his reply was what I thought stank.

How was that Snide you *****? There was nothing Snide in it apart from expressing his opinion that he should do it no matter what people says.
Who are you? I dont believe I spoke to you, let alone called you names as you did me, but we can rectify that. Get some tenure before you open your mouth, you insignificant little pr*ck. Good effort in trying to remove your asshole post before it was seen, by the way.

I considered it a snide remark aimed at me as I was being mentioned but un-named, which I dislike. I took it up with Ray, he replied, nobody was talking to you so keep your nose out of business that doesnt concern you.

Al Stevens

How was that Snide you *****? There was nothing Snide in it apart from expressing his opinion that he should do it no matter what people says.
Now isn't that being snide yourself? :greets4:

Is protesting pointless, in my eyes i think its worthless because things which will never be changed in governments eyes no matter how many times students or anti war/Pro peace groups stand outside whitehall number 10 or anywhere where there is a big summit. If they are going to push something in to a bill then it will happen.

However if Johnny boy thinks that he could do something to change the governments ideas and planned bills then good for him.