• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Privacy over safety?

Ratings
Privacy has been such a big issue lately. People get very upset over their privacy. I understand to some degree but at the same time, here is something I wonder about. Why are people against cameras in public? I watch a lot of crime series and I always think to myself, you know how many crimes would be solved or even prevented if there were cameras? What do people have against it when they are literally in public anyway? Is privacy really more important than safety?

Zack T

Ratings
116 1
That concept of privacy is a big part of the series Person Of Interest. It's set in New York City and a big part of the story is that there's an AI who is able to access literally every piece of tech with an internet connection of some kind, as can the protagonists. So they're constantly making use of the surveillance cameras, peoples cellphones for microphones, webcams in stores, etc.

I think having good quality cameras literally everywhere in public is a good idea. Biggest reason is for crime, but it'd be helpful for insurance purposes too.

I think that folks are gonna have to get used to having less privacy than we did in decades past, even as little as 20 years ago. Technology has brought us a lot easier ways to put our own information out there, and made it easier for businesses to sell our information to each other as well. On top of that, new systems track us easier than ever before (Like credit card purchase history and location services on our phones). While you can try to mitigate this and deactivate or not use certain programs, apps, or websites, you're gonna have a real hard time being off the grid unless you go full on nuclear about it.

My belief is that people concerned about privacy probably don't even have anything illegal to hide, they just are worried about embarrassment and the like. But generally, no one cares about what other people are doing, and most of this type of information is unavailable to the masses anyway - You'd have to be a good quality hacker or be employed in a specific type of position to even be able to see some of it, so whatever.

I'm not really concerned about it. It's only going to go further. I think eventually we'll all be carrying around chips in our ID's or maybe even chips implanted in our skin itself to identify us more accurately and carry more information than what could fit on a card normally.

Ratings
I think that a bigger chunk of the population loves to be private but with the way technology is evolving, there is going to be less room for privacy. Having cameras in public places is a good idea, only if this is used for the intended purpose. Just like @Zack T says, the concern isn't really about having something to hide; folks generally love their own space.

Ratings
I don't think having cameras in public locations is a bad thing if they are used to prevent and solve crimes. That seems to be the direction the world is heading anyway. However, there is the issue of malicious or unscrupulous people obtaining the footage for unlawful purposes.

Ratings
Privacy is a sensitive issue for many although as our society is becoming more open, then there will be fewer people who will be annoyed with cameras used in public places. Come to think of it, we show pictures of ourselves inside our homes in social media, but we don't like other people using cameras in public places that might take a picture of us in the process.

Ratings
The difference between posting a picture of yourself on social media and being subjected to your image being recorded is the level of consent. If I take a picture and post it for my friends to see, that was my decision. I have no say in publicly recorded images or control over where they may end up.