• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Pirate Movies

Ratings
Hollywood is notorious for taking a theme that hit big and making more movies like that. So, why didn't we see a crush of pirate movies after Pirates Of The Carribean?

Zack T

Ratings
130 1
Do something too soon and you risk looking like a copycat. I'd also imagine folks probably thought that doing more might result in audiences being uninterested in pirates all together. Too much of the same thing can decrease interest.

Marvel has combated the problem by having an ongoing story thread through all of their movies, that being Thanos or tying into other movies in some way, so it feels like each one is part of something larger instead of being "just another superhero movie". Dunno if they'd do that with pirates though :)

Ratings
Eh, that's a good question @Dust and Rust. I suppose pirates just aren't as sexy as vampires, as cute and cuddly as werewolves, as polarizing as heroes and villains, or as terrifying as zombies. Those four themes have been done to death.

Ratings
The thing with Captain Jack's story is that it is basically finished. If you need to know, there is another installment of this franchise coming next year. I'm trying to find a trailer but failed to find one.

Ratings
The thing with Captain Jack's story is that it is basically finished. If you need to know, there is another installment of this franchise coming next year. I'm trying to find a trailer but failed to find one.
Sure, but why didn't other studios jump on the bandwagon and create their own film with pirates. Look at how many astronaut and zombie movies we've seen. Personally, I think it's because they can't get Johnny Depp to take on a different pirate role. Maybe his contract locks him in with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and everyone knows you can't have a pirate movie without Johnny Depp. That's a given!

Ratings
I think a TV production capitalized on the pirate theme by making Black Sails. It wasn't bad, I suppose, but it wasn't great as well. I watched that TV show, but it didn't capture the charm of Captain Jack Sparrow.