• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Petty things

Poppy

Ratings
The WWE claims to have over a billion fans on social media, but McMahon or some other higher up derived that number in the oddest way. The numbers didn't include just the WWE's followers, but those of their biggest stars as well, including Cena, Rousey, and Reigns. It just seems so petty to pad the numbers for something so inconsequential. Wrestling bigwigs seem to care about petty things that don't matter to the fans. Have you noticed this sort of thing?

Ratings
And I'm sure they bought some of their followers even if just to get the ball rolling. Lots of promotions and businesses do that, but adding in their stars' followers is just batty. I wonder if the count included retired stars like Mankind.

Some of the internal rules seem petty to me such as insisting the talent call the "trophy" a title or championship instead of a belt. They're defending their title instead of defending their belt. They're going after a title instead of going after a belt. They can't wait to earn the title instead of being excited to wear the belt. The belt is the elephant in the room that we are all supposed to ignore. And the strict enforcement of the internal rules on some people, while others receive more leeway, mostly seems driven by pettiness.

Last edited:

Zack T

Ratings
126 1
I think it's them getting focused on stuff that doesn't matter to most of us, but to them they think it's a big deal because they're nerds.

The billion followers thing is just a load of nonsense because it's self-admitted by them that it covers FB, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and so there's gonna be some people who follow on 2 or more of those sites. And if they are actually adding in WWE Stars twitter followers too, then that's likely people who also follow WWE themselves on twitter or other places, so it's just padding the numbers with duplicates.

They just want to sound important, peer pressure us into following them cause everyone else is too. They'd love to have you believe that 1/7th of the world is following their product but the reality is that if they truly had that kind of following, they'd probably do way more business than they currently do and have much more widespread exposure.

I can sort of understand wanting talent to call the Championship a Championship instead of just "title belt" or even just "belt" because words matter and if you casually refer to your "belt" enough, subconsciously people might not value it as much. But I am minorly annoyed by the constant "WWE UNIVERSE" moniker, and how sparingly used the word "Wrestling" is in a wrestling company. "We're not wrestlers, we're sports entertainers" is just nonsense to me. I understand the logic is to avoid any negative connotations people may have with "Wrasslin" and give it a new identification with "Sports entertainer", but I just hate it.

Ratings
It was petty back in the day when WCW used to spoil WWE's match results. Sometimes it backfired on them which was humorous.
I can sort of understand wanting talent to call the Championship a Championship instead of just "title belt" or even just "belt" because words matter and if you casually refer to your "belt" enough, subconsciously people might not value it as much.
But it's a really cool belt.