Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Pedestriam Deaths

Classified

In the major city close to where I live there has been a spate of vehicle/pedestrian accidents. In the past 2 days, 2 people have died by getting hit by a vehicle, a semi truck of all things in both cases, while crossing a major road and not in the crosswalk.

Can anything be done to keep people from crossing a road on foot in an area where there is not a crosswalk?

Dust and Rust

Aside from being Captain Obvious and telling them that it might not end well for them, I don't know if you can do anything. It must have been dark outside when those incidents happened?

headrush

2019 has been bad in my area, too. Roads and sidewalks are more packed than ever, and some pedestrians are getting distracted by their phones. Those along with local police issues do not bode well.

Boomer

Can't think of anything else besides more warning signs, audio alerts, and/or foot patrols. Maybe adding congestion pricing to more cities, to lower driver numbers?

Zack T

It's an issue on both sides. People need to be really careful crossing the street at any time, but especially if they're gonna do it when it's busy and not at a crosswalk. Likewise, drivers need to pay attention too and not be looking at their phones or spacing out.

TynBox

Sometimes it's by no fault of the pedestrian. They can be on the sidewalk minding their own business and a car can come careening right into them.

Greylien

Yep, one of the hazards of walking in close proximity to cars. I haven't had to walk to where I need to go in years, and these days I would be very apprehensive in doing it. True, the odds are miniscule, but they are there nonetheless.

Rambler

Another factor where I live is newer, lower standards to get a driver's license. You just have to be above a certain age, then practice enough on your own to pass the written and road tests. The road test is fair, but it is apparent that many only technically pass.