Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff running Raw/Smackdown

Zack T

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/06/wwe-names-eric-bischoff-and-paul-heyman-as-new-executive-655705/

Paul Heyman named Executive Director for Raw, Eric Bischoff Executive Director for Smackdown. They apparently have total authority, only second to Vince himself. This is backstage stuff, there's no plans right now to turn either of them into on-screen authority figures.

This comes on the heels of FOX being reportedly unimpressed by WWE's attendance/buyrate/ratings performance and wanting to schedule a meeting next week to discuss potential changes.

Smackdown was at its best when Paul Heyman was running in back in the early 2000's, like 2002 to 2005 I think. Not sure what it'll look like with Bischoff running it, he's never had this level of power in WWE. Even when he was GM of Raw, he was simply an on screen character, he had no actual decision making power backstage.

Very interesting turn of events. I just wonder if they'll get to execute their own ideas or if Vince will be stepping on their toes. Or perhaps Vince is really stepping back and focusing on XFL or something, I dunno.

Zack T

That's the big question, will they really have control?

Hopefully they will. It really just depends on if Vince decides to shift his focus on doing XFL right, or if he's going to continue heading up WWE as he currently does.

Paul Heyman did get to run Smackdown according to his own vision in years past and it's often looked at as the best years in Smackdown history. Hopefully he'll get that same type of control. Vince surely had the same level of veto power back then, but if he was able to step back a bit, then maybe he can do it again.

It's hard to say, we just won't know til we start seeing it. Hopefully they take over as early as next week and dive right into it.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
I guess with the falling ratings and the change in channels they need to build some momentum. As you've both said, it all depends on how much Vince will get involved. We're all aware of Paul Heyman's success as a booker, however I'm not too sure about Eric. I'm surprised they didn't go with Triple H for one brand...but I guess they wanted the whole ECW/WCW rivalry vibe going on.

Zack T

Triple H does control NXT, NXT UK and 205 Live, though. Maybe that's why?