Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Other Cultures

Hal

Ratings
What culture do you find the most interesting? Why?

(Don't pick your own culture.)

I can't tell you how intrigued I am by Japanese culture. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I plan on changing that. It just seems so different from my own. Their gardens, artwork, manga, anime, architecture, music, etc., appeal to me. During the last Olympics, there was a figure skater from Japan (Pretty sure it was Yuzuru Hanyu) and they showed the native fan clubs devoted to him. They were people of all ages giving their all to their fandom. I just think there's something awesome about that. The Japanese don't seem to do anything halfway.

Oh, and did I mention sushi? I can't get enough of it.

Ratings
You can probably guess from my handle that I am really into Japanese culture. And I like sushi too!

One day I hope to visit Kyoto, and see the Golden Temple and the Silver Temple. I want to walk along the main street, Kawaramachi, and I want to drink in Zappa, where David Bowie often went.

I also want to visit the famous Pig and Whistle in Kyoto to see what it is really like.

Ratings
I am fascinated with the Amazon culture. They don't have the grandeur of other cultures, but they are like a living museum of how people lived in the stone age. Our society is slowly creeping into their small world, and I fear that their culture will be lost.

Ratings
The secret of the Japanese culture is proper discipline. They start teaching their children, not with academics, but with good behavior and correct discipline. When the kids learn this character trait, then they can apply this kind of discipline to any academics they will study.

Ratings
@Incredible Iron, if only someone had taught me proper discipline. I wish that I had a better work ethic! They're definitely doing something right. I didn't know it could be as simple as that.

@Cherry-Chan, all of those places sound fascinating! I didn't know that tidbit about David Bowie. Interesting!

@Pumba, oh, the Amazon culture is a good one! There's definitely something mystical about all of that history. I'd love to go there one day. I love reading about their nearby neighbors, the Incas, too.

Ratings
There is a problem with visiting the native tribes of the Amazon forest because they are not friendly to foreign people. I have watched a documentary where the scientist needed a guide that is a member of the native tribe so that he can enter the native tribe without being hurt by those native people.