Latest
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Oldest sport?

Have you ever thought about the oldest sport in the human history? It is said wrestling takes the crown and it is clearly evident that the sport has evolved over time to what we see/watch today? Your thoughts?

You know, it's said that wrestling is the oldest sport, but it's hard to believe that there were never any running competitions before there were wrestling ones. But what do I know? I think they'd be surprised to see how wrestling has evolved over time.

I would have to say "kick the rock" (or can depending on when it was). Children had to entertain themselves somehow back in the stone age. What else could kids do back then? Wrestling probably went over for the boys but the girls?

Come to think of it; which one between wrestling and/or running is more social in nature? I would assume that wrestling came first because it looks an activity that people would want to engage in, as a way of unwinding.

LKC

Haha, "kick the rock". Not sure it would work out too well with a rock. But you never know. Wrestling could have come first because people probably needed some kind of competition to show who was the biggest and baddest person in their groups as a way to show dominance.

The Icon

Ratings
The acknowledged 5 oldest sports from records etc are

• Wrestling. Wrestling is considered the oldest sport in the world.
  • Running. Not much of a surprise that running Is second as its easy to run.
  • Javelin Throwing.
  • Polo.
  • Hockey. Yes Hockey, originally called Shinty is one of the world's oldest sports.

I would not have guessed polo but it makes sense. The only one I would argue there is Shinty. That's only from 600 BC (or so this site says) but swimming, rowing, archery, and a variation of gymnastic predates that.

I would have to say "kick the rock" (or can depending on when it was). Children had to entertain themselves somehow back in the stone age. What else could kids do back then? Wrestling probably went over for the boys but the girls?
Haha, this is really interesting! Where did 'kicking the rock' disappear to, as a sport? Wrestling definitely evolved as a way of showing might and winning the girls. If you didn't ever win, you were probably regarded as a weakling.