Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Official World Cup Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.J

TWO Hall of Fame Member
As the World Cup is now less than a week away, I feel it's time for a new thread to take us through to the end of the tournament, so here it is.

Russ

TWO Hall of Fame Member
I'm watching for Marvin Andrews: World Cup and Champions League superstar.

BRM

Forum Leader
Major doubt i hear, he really needs God to be on his side if he's to be fit in time and then to take on the might of Peter Crouch.

MojoPogo

Leo Messi may well light up the tournament, i like Riquelme but dont feel he's consistent enough. I fancy Luca Toni to be among the top scorers as well.

Red05

They'll all be outshone by one individual.....

STEVEN GERRARD!!!!

I really think he'll be the driving force behind England as they win the World Cup.

The Beltster

I'm hoping to see great performances from Linekar, Platt and Barnes!

Go England!!!

Nicole

TWO Hall of Fame Member
I hope they don't interview Stevie G after any of the games, his accent is godawful.

Go england. Woo.

Red05

Steven Gerrard's is awful?

You should here Jamie Carragher. ;)

The Beltster

There is no such thing as a nice, or even bearable, Liverpool accent. Its f'n atrocious :lol:

Sav

It is indeed a horrible accent but not as bad as the Geordie one. Ugh.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
I'm bloody fed up of hearing 1966 already.

No doubt this is the cue for the TWO Flame Club (tm) to jump on me, but to be honest, I'm beyond caring.

I have NO problem with the England team, the English people, or you guys all rooting for your country - just the bloody annoying English Media, specifically the English Broadcasting Corporation, sorry, that should be the BBC, althought they might forget that from time to time.

OK peeps - let's start with the 'sweaty sock' jokes, the 'your team is crap' rants, and just the general character assassination that starts anytime anyone Scottish says anything that doesn't toe the "WE ALL LOVE ENGLAND" party line.

*sigh*

Wolverine

Yeah, but Scotland are crap! WE ALL LOVE ENGLAND! England won the World cup in 1966 ... time to do it again! C'mon England!

You asked for it.

Fidel Cashflow

Landon Donovan and Eddie Johnson are going to be huge this year. Donovan is one of the best players in the world that gets no hype because of where he plays.

And Johnson is fast...really fast. What this team lacks in skill they make up for in athletecism. I think they're better than that 4-1 loss to Germany showed.

Inno

I'm the good looking one up there
Subscriber
fine example - BBC Three have been showing an awesome show called Worlc CUp Goals - tons of goals from the World Cup, it's been great to see some classic games and players again - it's broken into comedy top 10s and narrated by a 'comedian'. The show's great, bar one thing... every time a goal is shown against Scotland, this 'comedian' voives over the replay with "byeeeeee". Now, once? it's kinda funny. EVERY SINGLE TIME? Patronising. Grrr.

Russ

TWO Hall of Fame Member
The thing that I find funny about it, and I say this during every tournament, is that the BBC and ITV either don't know or simply don't care that they're broadcasting to all of Britain, and not just England. There's no denying that the majority of their viewers are English, and I have no problems with them acknowledging that. But does that mean that their coverage should be 100% biased towards the team with the most viewers?

Take the FA Cup Final for example. You don't need to see the ratings to work out that more Liverpool fans were watching than West Ham fans. Liverpool are a bigger club with a huge fanbase across the nation, and I don't think that there was any doubt that the West Ham fans made up a small minority of everyone watching. But still, the focus never went entirely on Liverpool. West Ham were talked about and treated with respect. The commentators remained impartial. However, when it's England playing in the World Cup, it all changes, and the whole match is talked about from an English perspective, about how England are doing, and the commentators will go right ahead and get behind England. Whether John Motson or Clive Tildsley, you'll hear them roaring with delight when England score, or talking like the Queen just died when their team is losing. The lack of impartiality makes a mockery of the British coverage of the World Cup. If you can't control your emotions and realise that more countries than your own are subjected to the whole Pro-England coverage, you're not enough of a profesional to work in the media.

I would love if the BBC or ITV had some balls and forced the presenters/commentators to cut out their over-the-top patriotism on TV, but we'd probably get some moronic campaign from a "newspaper" like The Sun which would protest that they're being subjected to stuff they don't want to listen to. Just like the rest of Britain currently are, I suppose.

yoyo

I'm not really into soccer....uh...I mean 'football' but I'm looking forward to this.

Go USA!

Proudy

Inno said:
I'm bloody fed up of hearing 1966 already.

No doubt this is the cue for the TWO Flame Club (tm) to jump on me, but to be honest, I'm beyond caring.

I have NO problem with the England team, the English people, or you guys all rooting for your country - just the bloody annoying English Media, specifically the English Broadcasting Corporation, sorry, that should be the BBC, althought they might forget that from time to time.

OK peeps - let's start with the 'sweaty sock' jokes, the 'your team is crap' rants, and just the general character assassination that starts anytime anyone Scottish says anything that doesn't toe the "WE ALL LOVE ENGLAND" party line.

*sigh*
TBH Inno I agree with you, Every match I've watched this season has had something like "Lets hope (Enter players name) can do that for England Come June" Its doing my head in! Theres hyping and theres ****ing overhyping! BBC are by far the worst. Im so glad this will be Motsons' last WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.