Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

NXT Discussion Thread - April 6, 2010 from Chicago, IL (#7)

TPIB

Venue
Allstate Arena in Chicago, IL

Confirmed Matches/Events

Week 7 of the NXT Competition

FreeSpirit

Results:

Credit:
pwinsider.com

WWE NXT
Airing This Thursday in the UK

WWE NXT is from Chicago this week, and your announcers are Michael Cole and Josh Mathews. Your host is Matt Striker.

Matt is on the stage and he brings out the rookies and they come out based on their rankings. Matt mentions that Daniel Bryan is currently ranked in first and then Matt talks about how the winner gets a pay per view match. Matt turns his attention to the other end of the rookie spectrum.

He also mentions the man in fifth place who is also not happy. Matt reminds us that David won the battle royal last week so he got to be the guest host on RAW. Matt says that RAW was entertaining and then he asks David why he walked away from a potential tag title. David says that he was the host of Raw and he says that he could do whatever he wanted. David says that he could have tagged Cena’s wimpering hand and then he could have taken the Miz’s head off and celebrated with John Cena. Otunga says that he doesn’t work with anyone. Otunga says that he did a favor for The Miz who is a judge and he is looking for some help to win.

Matt goes to Daniel Bryan and asks him if he thinks he deserves to be in first place. Bryan says that he doesn’t know if he deserves it but wonders if the Miz deserves to be a pro. Does David Otunga deserve to be guest host on RAW? Does Michael Cole deserve to replace Jim Ross on RAW? He says that he does not deserve to be number one, but will do what it takes to win. Striker says that Bryan should have said that he deserves to be in first.

Striker goes to Tarver and he asks Michael if Daniel Bryan deserves to be in first place. He says that he does not. Tarver says that everyone on the stage is a target and he needs to get out of his way. To this point, he has followed the rules, but now he is taking his opportunity. He is a pit bull without a leash and he is the most dangerous man in NXT . . . period.

It is time to test their mental and physical abilities with weekly challenges. We see a keg behind a ‘start/finish’ line. Matt says that the keg is filled with liquid and weighs over 160 pounds. The rookie has to carry the keg around the ring.

The first rookie is the man with the bulls eye on his chest and it is Daniel Bryan. Bryan finishes in 24.9 seconds. It is time for Wade Barrett to carry the keg around the ring. His time is 14.7 seconds. Justin Gabriel is third and his time is 13.6 seconds. Heath Slater is next and finishes in 12.0 seconds. David Otunga is next and his time is 14.1 seconds. Skip Sheffield is next and his time is 12.4 seconds. Michael Tarver is next and he drops the keg a few times and he is disqualified. Darren Young is last and his time is 13.6 seconds. Your winner is Heath Slater.

Striker asks Slater how he feels to win this challenge. Slater says that he is going to blow everyone’s minds in NXT. Striker tells Heath that you never know what is going to happen. He won the Keg Carry and he gets to be in the main event . . . against Kane.

Kane gets in Slater’s face and then he ignites the pyro in the ring. Kane backs up and he smiles as only Kane can.

We go to commercial.

We are back and did you know that WrestleMania was a top search item on Google.

It is time for the RAW Rebound.

Matt Striker is with Skip Sheffield in the back. Matt reminds Skip that he is in sixth. Skip says that he should have won the keg carry because nobody is stronger than he is. He says that the contest was rigged. Skip says that the WWE Universe is not ready for him. Skip says that he is done being Mr. Nice Guy.

We go to commercial.

Match Number One: Darren Young versus Daniel Bryan

They lock up and Young with a knee and forearm to the back. Young with a back elbow. Young goes to the floor and Bryan with a baseball slide and then he hits a running knee from the apron. Bryan returns Young to the ring and then hits a missile drop kick for a near fall. Bryan with Cattle Mutilation but he doesn’t have it locked in properly. Bryan with a near fall followed by a back slide. Bryan with another back slide. Young sends Bryan’s head into the turnbuckles. Bryan with a sunset flip for a near fall. Young and Bryan exchange near falls and then they exchange slaps to the face. Young with a rollup and he gets the three count.
Winner: Darren Young

We go to commercial.

Justin Gabriel talks about being in third and he says that it can only get better for him. He says that his dad told him that once you get to the top you have to work harder to stay there.

Tarver talks about what it is like to deal with a pitbull that is unleashed. He says that is how he felt being in seventh and seeing every name ahead of him.

Match Number Two: Justin Gabriel versus Michael Tarver

They lock up and Gabriel with an arm drag. They lock up again and Tarver backs Gabriel into the corner and he connects with a knee and a hard Irish whip. Tarver with a boot to the midsection followed by a slam and a near fall. Tarver with an abdominal stretch. Gabriel with a float over and then he connects with a kick, knee, and a series of kicks to take Tarver down. Gabriel with a cross body into the corner and then he hits a springboard cross body. Gabriel goes up top but Tarver crotches Gabriel. Tarver with a punch to the midsection and then Gabriel drops Tarver on the top rope and kicks Tarver in the head followed by the 450 splash for the three count.
Winner: Justin Gabriel

We go to commercial.

We go to comments from David Otunga about his ranking. He says that he was disappointed. He says that everyone knows that he should be number one. He says that the pros are threatened by him.

Barrett says that he hates second place. He is here to win this and make money.

Match Number Three: David Otunga versus Wade Barrett

Otunga with a side head lock and he works on the arm but Barrett with a forearm and head butt. Barrett with an Irish whip and knee to the back. Barrett with a surfboard in the ropes and then he sends Otunga into the ropes and hits a few forearms to the kidneys. He tries for a third but you never do that so Otunga with a forearm of his own. Otunga is thrown to the floor. Barrett runs Otunga into the apron and rolls him back in. Barrett returns to the surfboard. Barrett misses a knee drop and a charge into the corner. Otunga with a punch but Barrett with a kick. Otunga with a reverse atomic drop and a flying shoulder tackle and elbow. Otunga with a slam and a near fall. Otunga with an inside cradle for a near fall followed by a neck breaker for a near fall. Barrett pulls Otunga off the turnbuckles followed by the fireman’s carry slam for the three count.
Winner: Wade Barrett

Heath Slater is getting ready in the locker room for Kane.

We go to commercial.

We are back with a look at what happened last week when Kane took on the NXT roster.

Match Number Four: Kane versus Heath Slater

Slater avoids Kane and then he hits Kane with a couple of knees and hits a drop toe hold that sends Kane into the turnbuckles. Slater with a missile drop kick and then he hits a cross body and gets a near fall. Slater punches Kane but Kane with a big boot and then he throws Slater to the floor. Kane follows after him and hits an uppercut. Kane runs Slater into the apron and Kane punches him. Kane rolls Slater into the ring and then he puts Slater in the corner and connects with a forearm and punch. Kane with a snap mare and rear chin lock. Slater punches Kane and tries for a sunset flip and gets a near fall. Kane with a side slam for a near fall. Kane chokes Slater in the ropes and then he kicks Slater. Kane with a snap mare and drop kick for a near fall. Slater with punches but Kane with a clothesline and Slater is down. Kane goes up top and hits the clothesline. Kane with a vintage uppercut followed by an Irish whip and running clothesline into the corner. Kane with another Irish whip but Slater gets his boot up. Kane with a choke slam to Slater for the three count.
Winner: Kane

End of show!

DC

I like the sound of the matches, but Daniel Bryan being beaten again and again is getting tiresome.

And a Keg Carry? Why mess with a formula that's working (for me at least) and f*ck it up with stupid challenges. Don't they remember that this is what killed Tough Enough?

Fletch

I'm really getting into NXT, I'll start giving my thoughts each week on it I think.

Challenges aren't what killed Tough Enough, making it a small segment in SmackDown as opposed to its own reality show are what killed it. And to be fair, Tough Enough 1 and 2 were great. They gave us Maven, Nowinski, Nidia, Josh Matthews (the only one still employed from TE1), John Morrison and Matt Cappotelli

The GS

The keg carrying sounds like a Divas Search type competition.
Can anyone explain how Bryan will be taken seriously if he ends up on a main show after losing week after week to the lowest standard wrestlers in WWE.

Jimmy Redman

This show was a marked improvement. They did a lot of things better.

- The Keg thing, and weekly challenges in general. I think its a great idea. First of all its something different from the normal matches-matches-matches we get on every other show they do ever. They're 'challenges' that let guys prove themselves by feats of whatever, and helps get them over, in different little ways.

Look at this week's. It made Heath Slater the 'star' of this particular show just by winning, it helped Tarver and Otunga as heels by failing, it created the Skip Sheffield heel turn (if we can call it that), it gave Cole some more Bryan fodder and put over his underdog-ness. Which is more than they've done for the guys in weeks. So completely good work here, for mine.

- INTERVIEWS! We had some interviews! Hallelujah. Firstly, letting Otunga explain his swerve from Raw with something that actually made sense, fantastic. The bit where Tarver stole the mic and cut the angry promo, that was good too. Bryan saying he didnt deserve to win was retarded, but the rest of his promo was fine.

Even beyond that, I was more impressed with the box interviews before the matches, with all the guys reacting to their ranking. EXACTLY what needed to happen. My only complaint is that they needed to be more substantial than just 10-second box promos, but whatever, it was a good move.

- I liked Heath Slater being made to look good against Kane. Again, it reinforces him after winning the challenge, instead of just losing to a rookie immediately after or something. Plus, I liked them wondering if he'd done enough against Kane to gain pro votes for his efforts. Made it seem like the match had a point.

- Commentary continues to be awesome. Cole ripping into Bryan is starting to get old, but in general him and Josh together are great, and sound roughly a hundred times more natural than all other announcing we hear.

Still, quite a few negatives they need to work out though.

- Where the hell were the pros? They've COMPLETELY dropped the ball on the rookie-pro interaction, even Miz and Bryan havent done anything together in weeks and weeks. They're supposed to be mentoring the guys, but we hardly ever see them doing any mentoring. Especially this week. Leaving them off the show entirely was just dumb.

- The lame 2 minute matches. They somehow managed to cram the same amount of matches as normal into this show, even with the 15 minute challenge segment, so they all ended up 2 minutes long. Stupid stuff. The two non-Bryan matches were completely pointless and didnt even need to happen. And Bryan just looked like a fool after his.

I honestly dont mind the losing streak angle. But the key to it has been that he's just been unlucky or unfairly treated - facing Jericho, Khali, being injured, etc. - rather than losing by being a loser. Having him lose in 2 minutes to a roll-up of doom like that, out of absolutely nowhere, looked so weak and made him look foolish.

Plus, Otunga, fresh off his push on the Raw show, loses in 2 minutes to a geek. Tarver, cutting a threatening promo and being 'unleashed' half an hour before, loses in 2 minutes to a geek. Neither of which needed to, or should have happened. I just wish they'd treat matches and results with a bit more care, especially since they're using records as a gimmick.

Jung

I've not been following NXT for a few weeks and I'm really confused reading that report.

I thought the prize was you get a title shot, but now it's you get a PPV match?

Daniel Bryan loses pretty much every match he has, yet he's ranked first?! If the rookies are voted for by other mentors but clearly winning matches is irrelevant, then what is the point of them having matches?

What is the point of a keg carry? I mean a guy like Danielson is f*cked cause the keg weighs as much as he does where as some of the other guys are much bigger.

I just don't see how anyone will get over with the "jobber this week, push you as something next week" mentality. Put Otunga over on Raw, job him out on NXT. Say Danielson's number 1 then have him lose clean to Darren Young.

Making somebody good one week and sh*t the next is just so backwards and means they'll all fail, just like guys like Kingston and Morrison do on their main shows.

I just can't for the life of me see how any of them are going to go anywhere if they can't decide who gets pushed or not, same applies for Raw and Smackdown to. No wonder nobody gets over and then gets pushed.

Jimmy Redman

I've not been following NXT for a few weeks and I'm really confused reading that report.

I thought the prize was you get a title shot, but now it's you get a PPV match?
You get a title match of your choosing on PPV. The spoilers just werent clear enough.

Daniel Bryan loses pretty much every match he has, yet he's ranked first?! If the rookies are voted for by other mentors but clearly winning matches is irrelevant, then what is the point of them having matches?
The rankings were supposedly on

- wins-losses
- quality of opponents
- 'It' factor
- something else I forget

So its not solely on wins & losses, and the 'quality of opponents' is the 'out' where Bryan is concerned, since he had to face Jericho and Khali.

The reason wins and losses dont matter is, well, its not like they matter elsewhere in WWE!

What is the point of a keg carry? I mean a guy like Danielson is f*cked cause the keg weighs as much as he does where as some of the other guys are much bigger.
Which was the point! Bryan's whole gimmick is he's the underdog in the competition, he was never going to win the keg thing and they noted that. Skip was the 'favourite' since he was the biggest dude, and he failed, which they noted.

Next week, I mean who knows but its going to be something different, like an obstacle course, or an eating contest, or maybe a talking thing, whatever it may be, and different guys will have an advantage in that. If there's a race or an endurance thing, Bryan and Gabriel will have the advantage there, you know? They're not going to do the same thing every week.

I just don't see how anyone will get over with the "jobber this week, push you as something next week" mentality. Put Otunga over on Raw, job him out on NXT. Say Danielson's number 1 then have him lose clean to Darren Young.

Making somebody good one week and sh*t the next is just so backwards and means they'll all fail, just like guys like Kingston and Morrison do on their main shows.

I just can't for the life of me see how any of them are going to go anywhere if they can't decide who gets pushed or not, same applies for Raw and Smackdown to. No wonder nobody gets over and then gets pushed.
Exactly. Its the 'parity booking' logic they've been using for years on all their shows, they just have a natural inclination to have all their guys trade wins and losses and tread water. It never helps anyone.

Which is another reason why they really, REALLY need to f*ck off with the wrestling matches on NXT.

DC

Random thoughts as I watch the show...
  • I still love the NXT theme song. It's brilliant.

• I don't know how anyone could be confused with what the NXT winner gets as a prize. At the very beginning of the show, Matt Striker says that the winner gets a shot at a champion of his choosing on a WWE PPV. That's pretty damn clear to me.

• Otunga's promo explaining why he did what he did on RAW was pretty good, but his "RAW" haircut still looks like it was done by a six-year old using a My First Haircut shaving kit.

• Daniel Bryan saying he doesn't deserve to be #1 is a bit retarded, but as he's the top babyface on the show, I can understand why they did it. He hasn't won a match, so perhaps that's where they're coming from.

• Tarver's promo was nice too. Grabbing the mic and turning up the intensity was really good. I'm liking that the Rookies are getting some mic time and not disappointing.

• Cole is still a *****.

• I was harsh on the Keg Race; that was pretty cool.

• YAY!! Gabriel besting Barrett's time was great.

• :lol: @ Matt Striker - "That wasn't an answer."

• Tarver can't handle his drink. Do you see what I did there? He can't handle his dr... he was carrying a keg of be... NEVER MIND!!!

• I bet the Rookies are so glad the pyro guys didn't do Kane's stage Wall of Fire. :lol:

• CATTLE MUTILATION!!!!

• That pinfall was bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.

• Nice springboard crossbody from Justin Gabriel and his 450 Splash is great too.

• The finish to this was much better than the Bryan/Young match. It's just a pity there's been no time for the bouts to develop.

• I'm liking the box-out interviews with the Rookies explaining their thoughts on the current rankings.

• Jericho's theme, especially the tone and intent of it, really suits Wade Barrett.

• This is interesting because I think it's the first heel v heel match on NXT.

• Barrett v Otunga was a nice little match and Wade's finisher is winning me over. I didn't like it at first, but the more I see it, the more I like it.

• Kane has new tights.

• F*CK ME!!! That was a vicious goozle. :lol:

• Good outing for Slater and a nice way to end the show.