Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Newbie to watching wrestling - recommendations?

Ratings
Hi, I have to admit that I do not know that much about wrestling, but am interested to learn more. What are good websites to take a look at? Are there any matches up on YouTube worth watching? Who are the stars to take a look at?

Is women's wrestling a thing?

Ratings
22 1
Now is the best time in history for women's wrestling in the WWE. I can really only speak at length about WWE, I haven't dived in to the other promotions around the world.

For WWE stuff, check out the WWE Network. It's 10 a month, and you get a free trial of it for your first month. I'd highly recommend starting out with NXT. I've been watching it since the end of 2014, and that's really where the absolute best women's wrestling is in the WWE-scope of things. I'd kind've recommend you go back to that period of time too, and catch up from there. You'll get to see NXT explode in popularity and see a lot of really high quality matches and feuds moving forward. Like, start with NXT Takeover: R-Evolution from December of 2014 and go from there. They do 1 show per week and it's only about an hour long, so it'll take a little bit to get caught up but it'll be well worth it.

Ratings
Hi @Zack T! Thankyou for the recommendations! Yes, I may take a look at WWE Network, and NXT.

So are feuds a bit of an ongoing thing in wrestling? I had heard that some wrestlers take the role of the "heel", or bad guy - ones that the audience seem to love to hate.

Ratings
22 1
That's the basic concept. You have wrestlers who are presented as good guys (Also often referred to by other fans as "faces" or "babyfaces") and bad guys (Often referred to as "Heels"). There's a lot of variation within those 2 roles of how exactly they portray themselves as good or bad but typically good guys don't cheat and don't back away from fights, whereas bad guys oftentimes do, and heels are also jerks/annoying when they talk.

Feuds are usually the main force behind who fights who. There'll be some seemingly random matches, but a lot of them have a reason and that's a feud. Feud's always have some kind of motivation in them, whether it's because 1 person is champion and the other person wants to be champion, or it's a personal feud. Either way, the goal is to give you a believable reason why these people are fighting each other and provide a reason why you should care.

Ratings
Thanks, @Zack T! That really sheds a bit of light on the whole wrestling scene!

It seems like the audiences who attend the live fights get really carried away with the action.

There's always been a bit of a rumour that the fights can be planned out in advance, or staged. I wonder how true this is?

Ratings
22 1
In wrestling, that's how it works. Match winners are always determined backstage beforehand by writers and owners of the company. What actually goes on in the ring is planned for most of the time as well, to an extent. Certain big moves, how the match ends, that's usually planned out. Some wrestlers are really good at just improvising the whole match though.

As for UFC or MMA or other sports, no idea