Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Mystery shows

Ratings
I love a good mystery show! I enjoy shows like Sherlock, Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale, Twin Peaks, Big Little Lies, etc. Riverdale is about to take a seasonal break so I'm itching to find another show to take its place. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ratings
You could always try Midsomer Murders, though it may be a little twee. It's always available on catch up. I'm sure that Midsomer Murders is mainly made for the market outside the UK, as it features all these supposedly quintessential little English villages with pretty thatched roof cottages. There are always vicars, tea parties and village fetes. The plots can be quite good and the characterisation too.

Ratings
Well, that sounds like it was made for me then because I live outside of the UK and always love those quintessential villages on TV, even if they aren't completely accurate representations. I'll have to give that one a watch! Thank you for the suggestion. It sounds great.

Ratings
Hi @Weasley, if you are interested in mystery dramas based in the UK, some other ones to try are Murder In Suburbia and Vera.

Murder in Suburbia features two female detectives and centres around supposedly typical British suburban life: gardens, DIY, PTA's, hobby groups, and so on. Often the murders are the result of some petty rivalry. Good characterisation and plots!

Vera is about a female detective in the north-east, and her team of detectives who manage to solve various crimes. Some of the plots can be a bit far fetched, but the characters are really well written and acted.

Vera is on ITV3, and I think Murder in Suburbia is on ITV too, though I'm not sure if it is now available. A lot of things can be found on YouTube though, if unavailable on catch up.

Ratings
Thanks for the suggestions, @Cherry-Chan. Mystery, quintessential British-ness, and petty rivalry? Murder in Suburbia sounds right up my alley! Vera sounds interesting as well, so I'll have to give that a look. Unfortunately, I don't think we get ITV in the US but I'm sure I'll be able to find all of this somewhere online. The internet is a magical thing.

@Zack T, how have I not heard of this one before? Serial killers, novelists, Edgar Allen Poe...yes, please!