Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Music in recorded form

jack25

With the rising popularity of streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music or Deezer, is music still being produced in the older formats? We got introduced to Napster two decades ago, and since then, there's been a decline in recorded music sales.

headrush

Maybe pirating is still going strong? Also, I often listen to YouTube and Alexa channels without really thinking of buying tracks. Probably not what musicians out there want to hear.

chelsea45

By older formats, do you mean the physical aspects of the songs or albums, like the CD or the related merchandise? I'm sure many are still being produced but probably in fewer numbers. The artists need to think hard about what they can offer to make the purchase worth it. I think most people buy physical albums for collections; personally, that's what I would do (though it is a rare case as well).

lymmo

Maybe pirating is still going strong? Also, I often listen to YouTube and Alexa channels without really thinking of buying tracks. Probably not what musicians out there want to hear.
As much as they may not want to hear it, the musicians understand very well that times have changed. I purchase music and store it in the cloud, where it is easily accessible. If not in soft, which recorded music format can stand the test of time?

Rambler

Live performance is the way to go financially. That and selling merchandise, plus exposure via clicks. The commercial side is looking more like pro sports.