Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Mr. McMahon's Death Angle Discussion

Who "Killed" Mr McMahon?

• The Jackass Crew

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Shane McMahon

• Stephanie McMahon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triple H

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Bret Hart

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Linda McMahon

• John Cena

• Coach

• Mick Foley

• Steve Austin

• Vince Committed Suicide

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Vince Faked His Own Death

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Bobby Lashley

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPIB

I decided to start a thread regarding the fake death of Vince McMahon, seeing as WWE.com keeps a steady update on everything and other sites keep coming up with details and what not. For the purposes of this thread, I will post WWE.com's announcement from June 11, 2007:

WILKES-BARRE, PA – A night originally designated Mr. McMahon Appreciation Night turned deadly when the WWE Chairman’s limousine burst into a fiery explosion just moments after Mr. McMahon stepped into it. Permanently uprooting the world of sports-entertainment, the Chairman has been presumed dead in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Local authorities stated it was still too early to declare anything as fact, including exactly what caused the incident, but described the blast as an apparent "limo explosion." They also revealed that as of 11:30 p.m. ET, no body had been recovered from the incinerated wreckage.

Firefighters were quick to assess the scene, taping off sections of the parking lot to protect the evident crime scene and safeguard scores of onlookers – mostly our fans – from potential injury. Despite the intense heat and ubiquitous clouds of black smoke, countless people spilled out of the arena to get a closer look at the chaos they had just seen happen live on the TitanTron. Moments earlier, the sold-out crowd came to a still hush as they speechlessly watched from their seats.

Local police and fire officials on the scene reported that WWE fans’ 911 calls from the Wachovia Arena flooded the Wilkes-Barre area emergency services switchboard soon after the explosion, showing that while our fans might not have seen eye-to-eye with the sometimes-devious Chairman, they still cared for his personal well-being.

“By the time we arrived on the scene, the entire automobile was on fire,” explained a Wilkes-Barre firefighter. “It was like an inferno, and our guys were doing whatever they could to contain it as quickly as possible. In my 27 years with the fire department, I’ve never seen anything like that.”

The emblazoned limousine was engulfed by flames that reached skyward at estimated heights of more than 30 feet. The sight of the charred debris led to speculation that there was no conceivable way anyone could have escaped from the limo alive. Early assessments from local firefighters and police officers sent a similar feeling regarding the probability of the Chairman’s survival.

“We’re doing our best to respect the McMahon family and the fans of WWE,” the firefighter said. “However, with that said, we have not found anything – there hasn’t been confirmation that Mr. McMahon’s body was extracted from the limo.”

As the physical body of Mr. McMahon remains to be uncovered, perhaps the most perplexing piece to this puzzle is the Chairman’s uncanny, almost clairvoyant premonition of tonight’s grim events. Over the last few weeks on WWE programming, the swaggering, well-off billionaire seemed to unravel right before the eyes of millions. Speaking of a threatening presence that lurked in his foreseeable future, Mr. McMahon even cited the looming of a “black cloud” last week – a cloud very similar to the post-combustive smoke that billowed above his limousine tonight.

Was this evening an eerie prophecy fulfilled for Mr. McMahon, given his recent premonitions? Or was it simply a fateful execution of coincidence? The ominous reality is that what was brushed off as incoherent ramblings of a broken man and former ECW World Champion actually may have proven to be an exercising of a recently discovered sixth sense.

This incident is the first of its kind in the U.S. since the assassination of political figure Orlando Letelier in Washington, D.C. in 1976. Sources say that given the nature of the apparent limo explosion, under law federal authorities will be called in for a more thorough investigation that would supersede local Pennsylvania authorities.

Check back with WWE.com as we continue to follow developments in the most shocking incident in sports-entertainment history.
This announcement was posted after RAW went off the air on June 11, 2007. Sometime the next day, WWE.com posted that "federal agents" had arrived on the scene of the limo explosion in Wilkes-Barre, PA:

WILKES-BARRE, PA – WWE.com has learned that United States federal agents have arrived at the crime scene in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., where Mr. McMahon was presumed dead less than 24 hours ago. As rumored, given the severity and nature of the explosion, by law, federal authorities have taken full control of the investigation.

As first speculated in previous reports by WWE.com, federal authorities confirmed that a body was not recovered from the limousine’s blackened remains. Investigators believe that Mr. McMahon’s body could possibly have been incinerated in the blast.

With the initial stages of the federal investigation underway in Pennsylvania, authorities have closed the crime scene to check for DNA evidence that may lead to additional information on last night’s shocking events. Forensic experts are scouring the scene and are expected to comb through the wreckage for the next few days in an attempt to find even the most minimal trace of Mr. McMahon’s body.

In addition, explosives experts have arrived in Wilkes-Barre to thoroughly examine the limousine and determine what type of device may have been used in connection with the incident. In the earliest stages of probing, authorities are analyzing each fragment of debris and gathering clues to build their investigation.

At approximately 11:07 p.m. ET last night, the WWE Chairman left the Wachovia Arena and stepped into his stretch limo, which almost instantly combusted before the eyes of millions watching Raw on TV. The sight of the explosion with Mr. McMahon inside the limo drew an eerie hush to an audience that had been wound with excitement just moments earlier during the live WWE Draft. This incident is the first of its kind on U.S. soil since the mid-1970s.

Instants after the blaze was controlled by firefighters in the late morning hours, the charred vehicle was scoured for the Chairman’s remains. Rescue workers and authorities were puzzled by what they found: nothing. Federal agents shared this perplexed state this morning, confirming that a body has yet to be recovered within the melted heap that was once Mr. McMahon’s limo.

Earlier today, WWE.com reached out to representatives of the McMahon family. These representatives stated that the grief-stricken family of the Chairman had no comments to offer at this time, but told reporters that something may be forthcoming in the near future.

As more details become available, continue to check back with WWE.com for exclusive coverage of one of the most shocking events in history.
Sometime on or around June 12, 2007, PWInsider.com posted an interview with a fan who was listening to the radio and heard the idiots who thought McMahon was really dead:

Ken Curige passed along the following report to PWInsider.com:

In a "wow, I don't believe some people are fooled" moment, I was driving to work this morning and a local Connecticut radio station ( Kiss 95.7 ) was doing their daily "Hollywood Report" segment.

Basically the segment is a gossip page speaking about what's going on in Hollywood. This morning the segment reported the following, "In a scary moment, on live TV last night, Vince McMahon, the President of Stamford based WWE was killed when his limousine exploded on live TV. I would assume an investigation is in the works, but we'd like to send our condolences to his family and friends."

They then spoke for a minute or so about how that clip will probably become internet banter on sites like YouTube and whatnot, and they even spoke about "that wrestler who fell a few years ago", I can only assume they meant Owen Hart.

At first I thought it was tongue in cheek, but amazingly enough they were actually serious, which is scary.

I'm not sure if other places are reporting it as well, but I've been asked several times at work thus far today about "What happened to Vince last night?", all by non-wrestling fans.

If this is the publicity they want, I guess they're getting it, but why they'd want that kind of publicity is beyond me.
Also on June 12'th and also posted by PWInsider.com is Tazz's comments regarding McMahon on Opie & Anthony, as well as notifying us that the WWE Superstars wasn't aware of the angle at the time:

Tazz appeared on Opie and Anthony this morning and had the following comments:

Tazz was on Opie & Anthony today talking about the "McMahon" explosion. He said he had no idea that this was gonna happen at all & doesn't know what WWE's gonna do now. He says at the end of the show, his car was 70 feet from where McMahon's car exploded & worried if his car was gonna be next. He asked as to what WWE.com said about the incident. O&A told him what the site said & says there's a video of the explosion. Tazz said O&A probably figured out as to who did it & says he just wants to get paid for his WWE job. O&A says maybe WWE's talking to the Brooklyn Brawler about it & Tazz says Brawler wasn't even at the show.

According to many behind the scenes, several WWE Superstars were unaware of how the show would end last night up until the actual explosion occurred. At this point, no one is exactly sure where WWE will go with this storyline other than the presumption that it will be a "who done it" type of story.
Yet again on June 12'th, WWE sent out a press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BLOWN AWAY

Who Blew Up WWE® Chairman Mr. McMahon?

STAMFORD, CT, June 12, 2007 – While some might say “The Sopranos” went out with a whimper, last night on USA Network, WWE’s “Monday Night RAW®” went out with a bang. At the end of his self-anointed “Mr. McMahon Appreciation Night,” WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon entered his limousine when it suddenly exploded. The shocking ending raised a myriad of questions: How could Mr. McMahon have survived the fiery explosion? And who could’ve committed such a heinous act?

Although full details have not been disclosed, initial reports indicate that Mr. McMahon is presumed dead. An official investigation into Monday night’s events is currently underway with no one being ruled out as a suspect. Throughout the night, people from Mr. McMahon’s past - from Donald Trump to Snoop Dogg to Bob Costas to Stone Cold Steve Austin™ - had less than flattering things to say about the WWE Chairman, but would any go so far as to actually blow him up? The question of “whodunit,” as well as the fate of Mr. McMahon, will be on everyone’s minds as the WWE saga continues on “Monday Night RAW” on USA (9 p.m. ET/8C).
PWInsider.com reports:

Last night’s stunt with Vince McMahon being blown up in the limousine was actually filmed Sunday evening. WWE brought in an outside stunt company to come in and set the entire thing up. The stunt was planned over the last two weeks, with WWE having to obtain a few permits.

When McMahon walked outside and got in the limo last night, it was live but they spliced the cable to show the taped footage. For fans coming out of the arena last night they had the burnt limo husk from the one used in the stunt on display.

WWE.com is going along with the storyline that forensic experts are examining the limo for the remains of Mr. McMahon’s body.
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Reports:

As far as WWE copying The Sopranos, the WWE explosion had been planned for two weeks. When all the talk about The Sopranos finale began, WWE noticed the comparisons being made to the RAW angle and the HBO finale and tied it all together with the press release we posted earlier.
WWE.com goes on to state that on June 13'th, they will have a video up of a statement by the McMahon family. A very brief video was up on the site and was nothing more than the Executive Vice President of WWE saying that "the show must go on" and that he will not be taking questions, as he was leaving, a reporter conveniantly shouted, "but, we need answers".

WWE.com also reported that the WWE Corporate Flag had been lowered to half-staff (due to regulations, they couldn't lower the American Flag for a fake death):

STAMFORD, CT – After Monday’s horrific events on Raw, those “dark clouds” the Chairman once spoke of are now felt prominently in the halls and offices of WWE headquarters.

With Mr. McMahon presumed dead, the corporate flag on the roof of Titan Tower was lowered to half-staff Tuesday morning. The company McMahon built into a sports-entertainment giant began to mourn the passing of its leader and visionary.

Many WWE staffers are still suffering from the trauma of seeing their corporate leader’s limousine explode on live television just after Mr. McMahon entered it.

“I sat there stunned, not believing what I just saw,” said marketing employee Stefanie Granata. “Then I just cried. You just don’t realize how precious life is until something like this happens.”

Though federal officials at the scene have not recovered his body from the charred chassis of the limo, investigators believe that Mr. McMahon’s body could possibly have been incinerated in the blast.

Some WWE employees wore black clothing to express their sadness. Others have left flowers by the Chairman’s office door. And if you listen closely, faint sobbing can be overheard occasionally amongst the din of the phones, fax machines and printers.

Heather Lubin, a long-time marketing employee, said the loss is being felt hard around the Stamford offices – mostly because of the unexpected, unexplained nature of the tragedy.

“It’s hard to cope with this tragedy when there’s so many questions unanswered,” Lubin said. “Who could do such a thing to Mr. McMahon?”

As for Liz Montgomery, a WWE creative services employee, she hopes that everyone can come together and help each other cope with the shocking loss of the company’s heart and soul.

“He’ll be truly, truly missed,” Montgomery said. “Wherever he is now, I hope it’s in a good place. But we’re going to miss him terribly.”
Later in the same day, WWE.com posted a "recap" of interviews they conducted with some eyewitnesses to the explosion:

WILKES-BARRE, PA - The flames have been extinguished, but the Pennsylvania air remains thick with fear and uncertainty following Mr. McMahon’s presumed death from an apparent limousine explosion on Raw Monday night. For a long time to come, fans who attended the televised event in Wilkes-Barre will not be able to extinguish the all-too-vivid memories of a thunderous explosion outside the arena, a white stretch vehicle engulfed in flames…and, according to one eyewitness, a seared corpse hanging outside the limo.

“It was disgusting,” described Lucas Adnyl, a Curry Hill resident who made a 20-minute commute with a friend to watch Raw live at the arena. “A whole mess of people ran out of the building right after the explosion, and some of us got a pretty good look before [police officers and firefighters] cordoned off the area. I thought I saw Mr. McMahon’s body in the car, but I can’t say for sure; whatever it was, it was completely covered in flames. And the smell…God, I thought I was going to lose it.”

Adela Montoya drove nearly an hour from her home in Junedale so that her son Luis could have a birthday he’d always remember. Now she fears that he may never forget the moments following the explosion.

“We were having a great time when we heard the blast outside,” she recalled. “I thought we were under attack or something. My boy started crying, so I headed for the exits. We ran out as fast as we could.”

“It was hard to see anything with all that smoke coming from the car,” said Rob Mills, a Ronconcoma, N.Y.-based postal worker who was in Wilkes-Barre visiting his parents for the week. “One policeman pushed me and some friends behind a barrier, so we were a pretty good distance away while the firemen tried putting out the car. I don’t know how they could stand it, because those flames were hot as hell, even from where I was standing.”

Frank Vesley, of Parsippany, N.J., admits that he couldn’t see much of the blaze up close, nor did he need to. “The flames were so bright you could have used them to land an airplane nearby,” he said. “Personally, I didn’t mind all that much that McMahon’s limo went up, though I feel a little bad for his family. He was kind of a jerk, but I guess nobody should lose a loved one like that.”
On June 13, 2007, WWE.com posted a video of what happened after RAW went off the air on Monday. Nothing new or really interesting was shown, just the firefighters putting it out. Later in the day, WWE.com posted some reactions and outpouring for the WWE Chairman:

For years Mr. McMahon’s bravado, coupled with his constant harassment of Superstars, created a major rift with our fans. But after the horrendous limo explosion on Raw, our fans have shown that regardless of his past transgressions, they still care about the man who vaulted sports-entertainment to where it is today.

In fact, the Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Police Department has been inundated with well-wishers in the wake of the McMahon tragedy, and police detective Lt. Will Clark told WWE.com he has never seen the station busier.

“We have never in our time seen this amount of calls,” he said, “hands down this is the most ever.” Clark continued, “I would say the amount of attention we are getting is second to none.”

And just what are people looking for when they call the Wilkes-Barre Police Department? “Everyone is wondering about the progress of the investigation,” said Clark. He then told WWE.com that the department itself has concerns because of the influx of calls they have taken. “We have had to utilize more manpower and resources than ever before because of the volume of calls through our station and the local 911 center.”

Such an outpouring from our fans around the world for Mr. McMahon shows that despite all his antics in the past, and although he made it his business to step on a few people on his way to the top, the Chairman might actually still have a place in the hearts of each and every fan.

Perhaps this response was foreshadowed by WWE Hall of Famer Dusty Rhodes, who was in Wilkes-Barre Monday night as part of Mr. McMahon Appreciation Night. Rhodes’ words still eerily resonate with anyone who saw Raw or has followed this breaking news all week. “Mr. McMahon’s legacy is in this building,” Rhodes said. “You don’t have to love him, you do not have to like him, you do not even have to agree with his psychology of this industry; one thing we all have to do is respect him.”

Based on what WWE.com was told by Clark, our fans seem to agree with the American Dream.

Love him or loathe him, the respect being shown by each and every fan in the wake of this tragedy shows that no matter how underhanded and mean-spirited Mr. McMahon has been over the years, he still will always be respected.
PWInsider.com reported on June 13, 2007 that the Wilkes-Barre newspaper bursted the WWE's bubble:

The Wilkes-Barre Times-Leader out of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania actually contacted the FBI to see if they were investigating the “car bomb” incident on Monday’s RAW. Special agent spokesperson Jerri Williams for the FBI’s Philadelphia office said “The ‘federal agent’ (referenced on the WWE.com Web site) is definitely not the FBI. We have not been made aware of any car bombings. … We would definitely have been informed.” With all the media outlets reporting this as legit WWE is going to have some severe backlash for pulling such a stunt.
Also on June 13'th, PWInsider and Wrestling Observer reported that WWE is pleased with the media response to the angle and that WWE.com has had it's best traffic on the site in recent memory.

WWE.com posts that the (fake) FBI is "probing" McMahon's office:

Federal authorities investigating the presumed death of Mr. McMahon visited the Chairman’s office at WWE corporate headquarters earlier this morning, and were seen loading what appeared to be hundreds of boxes into vans, WWE.com has learned.

Sources close to the investigation say officials arrived at Titan Tower at 6 a.m. The federal officers, sources said, were gathering evidence in search of any clues in the apparent fiery demise of Mr. McMahon, who may have perished Monday night at the end of Raw when the limousine he had just entered exploded. So far, authorities have not recovered Mr. McMahon’s body or any of his remains.

Insisting that they could not comment on an ongoing investigation, FBI officials would not reveal what the agents were looking for or what they removed from the Chairman’s office. But according to one anonymous source, investigators rummaged through hundreds of McMahon’s files and dusted his office for fingerprints. They also, the source said, were seen taking the WWE visionary’s computers off the premises.

The agents were said to have spent three hours combing through files and removing materials. When they were finished, the Chairman’s office – which normally was filled with cabinets and state-of-art computers – had been stripped clean. Its carpeting had been removed, and normally organized bookshelves were left in disarray.

Federal authorities, sources said, are also looking at the Chairman’s e-mail and all of his writings for any clues. They are especially looking at anything he may have written in the last two weeks, when his behavior became increasingly erratic.

Will anything taken from Mr. McMahon’s office – any e-mail on his computers – provide any clues? Stay with WWE.com for further updates on the investigation as details become available.

Log on later this week as our reporters hope to talk to the lead detective in the federal investigation. In addition, tune in to SmackDown on Friday at 8/7 CT to find out the latest developments in the probe and watch the tribute to Mr. McMahon.
On June 14'th, WWEShop.com started selling Mr. McMahon Memorial shirts ("In Memory of Mr. McMahon: 1945- 2007").

Also on June 14'th, WWE.com posts a video of an FBI agent's statement that simply stated that it is still an open case and they're not taking questions. It ends with a reporter shouting "but we need answers". A video (apparently June 14'th was a "day of videos" for WWE.com) was posted of the aftermath of the exploding limo (a very short video with no audio, but it is cool what the inside looks like). On the same day, WWE.com also posted a video of some WWE truck drivers (who are horrible actors) who heard/witnessed the explosion.

WWE.com posted an interview with a "bomb expert" by the name of Patrick Riggs (sounds like a fake name to me):

Federal authorities have seized control of the heap of incinerated metal that was once Mr. McMahon’s limousine. To determine whether foul play was responsible for the vehicular blast that presumably killed WWE’s Chairman Monday night, the tiresome task of recovering and sifting through useable evidence is now under the utmost scrutiny of the nation’s most well-funded investigation unit.

If it’s confirmed that a criminal party engineered the explosion, the next question to answer is how the nefarious scheme was carried out. To fill in the blanks regarding the specifics of the explosion, WWE.com contacted Patrick C. Riggs, a veteran explosives expert from a Brooklyn, N.Y.,-based operation.

Watching video of the blast, Riggs was able to determine that it was a professionally structured, calculated blast. However, since most – if not all – usable evidence seems to have been destroyed, Riggs claims that not everything he says can be guaranteed.

“Whoever did this knew exactly what they were doing. No amateur would have had the knowledge to create an explosion of that intensity,” he said. “Without prior experience or knowledge of explosives, such a blast could not have been constructed so precisely.”

Another point of interest was the timing of how the scene unfolded.

“Watch for the origin of the spark,” Riggs explained, using a laser pointer to indicate under the right rear axle. “As soon as the door shuts – boom! That’s exactly how it was supposed to work. It was perfectly engineered and executed.”

Could the door have been on a trigger, and if so, what served as the figurative striking of the match?

“A radio-controlled device was definitely used as the ignition,” Riggs stated. “The detonator could have been as small as a cell phone and attached to the limo’s gas line. It was most likely sourced underneath the passenger compartment. Once it was ignited, the gasoline from the vehicle became the accelerant.”

Riggs, a 23-year explosives expert, who has both consulted on feature films and been an expert witness in courtrooms, isn’t surprised that federal investigators are currently unable to find eyewitnesses who would have seen someone attaching the explosives to the limousine.

”It doesn’t take long to accomplish,“ he said. “The whole thing could have been completed in a matter of seconds. All they needed was to find out where the gas tank was located.”

And since a pocket-sized piece of equipment was used, no visible signs of tampering would have been evident to anyone – including the former WWE Chairman. Not that his apparent state of mind (or lack thereof) at the time would have allowed him to see such a red flag, even if it was in plain view.

“Mr. McMahon would not have been able to tell something was wrong with the limo by sight or smell,” Riggs assured. “In fact, a full tank of gas would have easily been capable of creating that type of combustion. As far as Mr. McMahon knew, that limo was no different than the type he used to drive in every day and night.”

According to Riggs, the fact that a remote device was used raises another concern.

“Theoretically, there could have been multiple assailants,” he said. “Someone could have been at the scene to notify someone up to half a mile away to press the red button. It’s certainly something to think about.”

At press time, there have not been any discoveries to prove – or disprove – any of the ideas that Riggs has put forward. As federal authorities work around the clock in search of answers regarding this matter, one can only wonder if these questions, or any others, will be revealed in the coming weeks.
Later, WWE.com posted a slideshow of the limo explosion (if you click it really fast, it's like a flipbook) and I noticed (despite what Riggs said) that it was a "2 point" explosion. If you look at the pictures, the explosion ignited under the back seat of the limo and under the driver's seat (the bomb guy said that there was a bomb on the gas tank, but it appears there were two).

WWE.com reports that "fans" have made a homemade memorial to McMahon outside of the WWE Headquarters:

Whether he was looking down on ordinary 9 to 5ers from his corporate office at the Titan Tower or berating onlookers from “his” ring on Raw, SmackDown or ECW on Sci Fi, Mr. McMahon often held our fans in great contempt. The Chairman probably would have never believed that these same fans would drive hundreds of miles to honor him with mountains of flowers, cards and pictures after seeing his apparent fiery demise on Raw this past Monday.

Hundreds of baskets of carnations, sympathy cards, teddy bears, daisies and orchids lined the entrance to the Titan Tower as countless fans made a makeshift memorial to Mr. McMahon, who is presumed dead after the limousine he entered exploded at the end of Raw. Some preferred to leave pictures of the Chairman, while others placed toy replica belts of the ECW World Title he held briefly. But everyone WWE.com interviewed said that while they didn’t love Mr. McMahon, they respected him as a pioneer in the world of sports-entertainment and wanted to thank him for entertaining them all these years.

“I hated the arrogant b******, but I had to come,” said a tearful Peter Frager, who said he drove all the way from Borger, Texas. “I’ve watched wrestling for so many years – I grew up watching him, even during the days when he was just an announcer. It’s going to be weird watching WWE without him.”

One fan, dressed in a retro powder blue sports jacket with the old World Wrestling Federation logo that was once the Chairman’s trademark, was too overcome with grief to talk. His shoulders shook and lips quivered before he buried his face in his hands. He had to be held by his two friends that were at his side.

“He used to practice the Chairman’s strut and swagger,” one friend said. “He’s barely eaten since seeing the explosion. But he insisted on coming here and paying his respects.”

Do’ rags, candles and signs that read “Vince: The Real Icon,” “Long Live the Chairman,” and “The Immortal McMahon” were scattered among the throng of well-wishers gathered outside the Tower. The eyes of some WWE employees widened and some jaws dropped at the outpouring of love for Mr. McMahon.

“I have never seen anything like this,” said a receptionist at the headquarters. “It’s just amazing. … I could barely maneuver past the flower baskets when I returned from lunch.”

The McMahon family remained heavily on the minds of our fans. Harold Laurel, of Bayonne, N.J., said the Chairman’s tragedy hit him especially hard. Looking up at his 3-year-old – who was sitting on his shoulders and was preoccupied with sucking on a Jolly Rancher – Laurel said that McMahon’s presumed death reminded him that life can be too random and too short to be taken for granted.

“The fact that this happened just before Father’s Day – it’s just terrible, terrible,” he said. “I know how Shane and Stephanie must feel – my Dad passed away around this time last year. I just hope they can get through this and help their mother get through this.”

Laurel then gently knelt down as he enabled his son to come down from his shoulders. The boy continued eating his Jolly Rancher as his father enveloped his small fingers in his hands.

“Entertainment aside, this whole thing just reminds me that we have to cherish each other every day,” Laurel continued. “I’ll miss seeing Mr. McMahon. He was evil, but he still had a family. I hope he has found some peace.”
And as if we haven't heard enough from them, WWE.com posted a video (either late June 14'th or early June 15'th) of WWE fans reacting to McMahon's "death".

WWE.com posts an article on June 15'th questioning McMahon's knowledge of his imminent death and whether or not "foul play" was involved:

Mr. McMahon is presumed dead, the victim of an apparent limousine explosion moments before Raw signed off the television waves Monday night. As a federal investigation into the incident forges ahead, a slew of questions demand answers — among them, determining Mr. McMahon’s very last thoughts, as well as possible reasons for his bipolar behavior during his seemingly final instants on this mortal plane.

Last week, WWE.com asked a prominent psychiatrist from Connecticut to analyze the billionaire, whose disturbing disorders had soared off the charts since losing his ECW World Title to Lashley at One Night Stand. “Jane Doe, Ph.D.”— identified as such to protect her against any legal or personal retribution from the Chairman’s office in Stamford-based WWE World Headquarters — had evaluated that Mr. McMahon was “a ticking time bomb of pent-up rage,” suffering from severe manic episodes. But after watching the events that transpired on Raw Monday night, even Dr. Doe, a mental health expert with nearly 17 years experience in the field, admitted that she was “truly horrified.”

For a moment, WWE.com assumed that the psychiatrist was speaking of the tremendous explosion that engulfed the Chairman’s limousine and in all probability incinerated his body. But then Dr. Doe further elaborated on her statement. “After getting over the initial shock of what had occurred, I reviewed a tape of Raw several times,” she said. “Upon doing so, there is no doubt in my mind that Mr. McMahon believed his end was near.”

Inferring that Mr. McMahon demonstrated some “sixth sense” about his impending doom sounds like sheer lunacy. Dr. Doe rejects our portrayal of the notion, dismissing it as “some Hollywood-glamorized analogy,” but she stands by her shocking statement. “I had no reason to make such an observation until after the subject expired in the explosion, and no physical evidence exists to support my claim,” she admitted. “But the signs are definitely there.”

These “signs” to which Dr. Doe refers are commonly known as the Five Stages of Grief. “Elisabeth Kübler-Ross first presented these stages as a model in her book On Death and Dying,” she explained. “Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.... Those who are either terminally ill or have just lost a loved one often experience each of these stages. Everyone, myself included, became so distracted by his manic behavior that it was simple to overlook ‘Mr. McMahon Appreciation Night,’ which in essence was a self-imposed journey toward accepting his own fate.

“Consider his behavior on Raw, ECW and SmackDown the week before,” she continued. “He simultaneously wavered between denial and anger over losing his ECW Title. By ordering matches at the spur of a moment — particularly that Last Chance Match between [World Heavyweight Champion] Edge and Batista at Vengeance: Night of Champions — one could assess that Mr. McMahon was actually bargaining for more time. Perhaps he thought that by shaking the foundation of his company, and its champions, he could somehow prolong his own legacy.”

The psychiatrist also cites that prior “McMahon-ic attacks” — including his Raw reference to an “ominous black cloud” approaching, plus his rocking-chair catatonia at ECW — were, in effect, masking the stage of depression. “I think he tried countering his mixed state by levying one of his so-called ‘Appreciation Nights.’ Sadly, even in his addled condition, he must have understood deep down that he formed his empire by destroying countless lives in the industry, and would therefore not find many admirers.”

And that final stage of acceptance? “Just think back to his opening statement on Raw Monday,” Dr. Doe said. “His bipolar behavior was responsible for the shaking in his hands, as well as a low attention span that required him to read his own words from a sheet of paper. In retrospect, by describing what was about to occur that night as the ‘defining moment’ of his life, he was really telling everyone that he had stopped looking back, and was now facing forward.”

Is Dr. Doe insinuating that the Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment, a self-made billionaire who also achieved ring victories over the likes of Undertaker, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Triple H, Shawn Michaels and Bobby Lashley, had actually developed some sort of death wish? “Not at all,” she rectified. “I believe he enjoyed life to its fullest, particularly — judging by those who spoke at his ‘Appreciation Night’— when his own self-gratification caused others misery. However, it is possible that something or someone provoked a fatalist mentality within him…made him believe that no matter how much he kicked and screamed, he couldn’t change his fate.”

According to the mental health expert, evidence of Mr. McMahon resigning himself to such a fate, however circumstantial, lies within his body language and facial expressions during Raw’s last 10 minutes.

“Watching his sudden inability to speak, plus dropping that microphone in the ring, had nothing to do with his shifts between mania and depression,” she explained. “If anything, he almost looked euphoric —his slight smile and wandering gaze implied realization, that he knew some heavy weight was about to be lifted from his shoulders. It also wouldn’t surprise me if he walked away completely unaware of the audience in attendance, or even the Superstars standing around the arena hallway. In his mind, everyone pretty much ceased to exist.”

Dr. Doe insists that if Mr. McMahon held onto one belief, regardless of grief stages, moods or mania, it was a sense of self-preservation. “He’s built his fortune on being a survivor, so if someone could have firmly reached out to him, I don’t think you and I would be discussing this tragedy today,” she said. “If you watch the footage again, he’s taking deep breaths just as he leaves the arena. Then he’s looking behind or around him while he’s walking toward his limousine. He couldn’t have known what was about to happen, but he was clearly preparing himself for something unpleasant. I think that somewhere inside, he was also hoping that someone would come to his rescue at the last moment. Unfortunately, it never happened.”

When all is said and done, does Dr. Doe suspect foul play at hand? “Sorry, but I’m not some TV psychiatrist who solves mysteries on the side,” she replied. “Police work isn’t my field of expertise, so I’d rather let the authorities form their own conclusions. If there was a puppet master pulling Mr. McMahon’s strings from afar, I’m sure they’ll be found out. I simply hope that the McMahon family, the WWE Superstars and your fans take the time to mourn and heal from this terrible ordeal.”
Something interesting to note is that WWE.com is unrelentingly referring to Vince as Mr. McMahon, so (as reported), this may be the end of the character, which says to me that McMahon won't appear on TV anymore.

Also on June 15'th, PWInsider.com reports that Linda & Stephanie McMahon will be returning to TV due to the McMahon "death" (you think after Linda's horrid appearances of the past, they would leave her off of TV, but I guess as long as she doesn't have to do anything "physical", she should be fine).

24Wrestling.com claims that there is a "dead" limo driver, as well:

According to some viewer reports, when Vince McMahon got into his limousine right before it blew up, there was a driver in the front ready to drive him away. There has been absolutely no mention of the driver whether or not he is alive, dead, or missing in any WWE.com report that has taken the storyline seriously.
I personally don't know what they're talking about, I've watched the video and seen the pictures over and over and I never have spotted a driver.

Wilkes-Barre Police burst WWE's bubble yet again (what's their problem, anyways?):

Information regarding WWE Event at Wachovia Arena

For verification purposes regarding those inquiring as to the alleged car bombing of WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, at the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre Township on Monday, June 11, 2007, the incident was a staged event, prearranged with Fire Department personnel and authorized by Township Code Enforcement officials. All necessary precautions were taken during the filming of the event so as to ensure the safety and security of all persons involved in the event. Mr. McMahon was not injured during the event contrary to what is being reported on internet web sites and other media sources.
On June 16'th, WWE.com posed the big question:

It’s the one question no one seems to know the answer to…at least not publicly.

With Mr. McMahon presumed dead following the tragic limo explosion on Monday night, everyone wants to know one simple thing: Who’s the boss? As the Chairman of the Board of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., Mr. McMahon was responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities in the company. But now that he’s no longer with us, someone has to take over…right?

The thing is, no one seems to know exactly WHO that someone is. When Ed Kaufman, Executive Vice President and General Counsel for WWE, Inc., made a statement Wednesday on behalf of the McMahon Family, he did not take any questions. Unfortunately, that meant he couldn’t answer the biggest one of all, as the identity of Mr. McMahon’s successor was not mentioned during the statement.

In many other facets of corporate (and not-so-corporate) America, it is widely known what will happen if the head of an organization is removed. For example, if something were to happen to the President of the United States, there is a list of succession, starting with the Vice President. Likewise, if the manager/coach of a major professional sports team is axed, a replacement (or at least an interim boss) is named almost immediately.

But if WWE has a similar contingency plan, it’s a very well-kept secret. Many assume that it would be another McMahon that is next in line, but even if that is true, which one is it? Is Linda McMahon, WWE CEO and grieving widow, now the No. 1 officer in WWE? What about Shane and Stephanie McMahon? Has one of them taken over their father’s duties? Or maybe some combination of the three surviving McMahons is in charge?

What if it’s NOT a McMahon? Has Chief Operating Officer Michael Sileck taken over the Chairman’s duties? Has the Board of Directors itself become a solidified unit and taken power? Or maybe it’s just one member of the Board – perhaps former Connecticut governor Lowell P. Weicker. After all, as a former governor and U.S. senator, he does have an extensive resume of leadership.

WWE.com believes that Jonathan Coachman, Mr. McMahon’s Executive Assistant, surely has to know something. However, efforts to reach Mr. Coachman since Monday night have continually fallen on deaf ears, as no one has been able to contact him.

Is it possible that NO ONE is in charge right now? Perhaps there’s a power struggle between a few (or even several) of the aforementioned names, and maybe others who aren’t known? If that’s the case, it could be a power struggle that would make the Johnny Sack/Little Carmine tiff on The Sopranos look like child’s play.

So who’s the boss? Unfortunately, no one knows, but hopefully we’ll all find out sooner rather than later.
Reported by 24Wrestling.com on June 16'th:

There was said to be some very serious talk within WWE yesterday in regards to the Vince McMahon "death angle" due to its timing with the death of Sherri Martel yesterday.

There was said to be a significant push to drop the angle as quickly as possible, citing taste and timing. However, some were still open to the idea of keeping the angle going. Either way, we will see how they handle it in the coming weeks.
Speaking on the Vince McMahon death angle, WWE is auctioning off the side mirror from the limo they set on fire.
WWE.com comments on Shane & Stephanie being "fatherless" on Father's Day (June 17'th):

Sunday marks Father’s Day in many countries around the world. This year, however, the world of sports-entertainment finds itself without its patriarch, who is presumed dead following a limousine explosion Monday night, moments before Raw ended. On a more important and personal note, Shane and Stephanie McMahon will not be able to celebrate the individual whom our fans and Superstars called Mr. McMahon, the childhood sweetheart whom Linda lovingly acknowledged as her husband—or the man they’ve known their entire lives simply as “Dad.”

On a day when restaurants book family dinner reservations to capacity, the McMahons will mourn privately in their respective households. In those same homes, coffee mugs with “World’s Greatest Dad” etched into ceramic will remain inside their cupboards, while porcelain cups and saucers are used to welcome the relatives and friends who drop by and pay their respects.

Neither Shane nor Stephanie have been seen around WWE World Headquarters in Stamford this week. They’re not replying to e-mails relating to business, nor are they answering phone calls from nosy reporters. Their only comments come from a statement released at a press conference in Stamford on Wednesday. And after their sudden, tragic loss, it’s completely understandable.

It is not our place to claim that anyone’s personal loss is greater than another’s. But consider how Shane and Stephanie must head into Father’s Day grieving with two families. There’s the family that together spent summer vacations and holidays, attended school plays, graduations and weddings. Then there’s the competitive unit that gets together to prepare for WrestleMania and every other WWE pay-per-view, that dominates inside the squared circle and at the business table, transforming a territory-based promotion into a sports-entertainment dynasty.

Mr. McMahon was known as an avid weight-trainer, as evidenced by the April 2006 cover and feature inside Muscle & Fitness magazine. Now Shane and Stephanie must provide a very different strength for their loved ones. The sports-entertainment industry grieves for no one, not even Mr. McMahon, so now it’s up to his children to help their CEO mother shoulder the responsibilities inherent within a billion-dollar company.

On a smaller yet vastly more significant scale, Shane and Stephanie must provide those same shoulders for their own young children to cry on. They must find the words to tell them that their grandfather won’t be visiting their homes this Father’s Day. That he won’t be over to enjoy a backyard catch, or partake in an imaginary tea party. Whatever else you knew about the man, know that the one label he valued most before his seeming demise was not that of “WWE Chairman,” but of “grandfather.”

The only cards found in the McMahon mailbox this weekend will be those of greatest sympathy; the only presents, fruit baskets and floral condolences. Shane and Stephanie McMahon no longer get to enjoy the privileges that Father’s Day offer.
WWE.com posted an article on June 17'th regarding the "first RAW without Mr. McMahon":

When the 734'th edition of Raw kicks off this Monday night (9/8 CT on USA Network), it will also mark a series of firsts—the most important being that, for the first time in the show’s 14-year history, Mr. McMahon will not be any part of it whatsoever.

In perhaps the most tragic of ironies, the former WWE Chairman is presumed deceased after his limousine exploded at the conclusion of last week’s Raw, a show he first gave life to back in January 1993. The deceased had suffered more than his share of embarrassing moments on the WWE flagship over the years, yet even those who fleetingly knew Mr. McMahon could appreciate why he took so much pride in having Monday night’s top-rated cable program. And regardless of what Raw’s Superstars or announcers, or our fans around the world have ever thought about Mr. McMahon, they certainly realize what he has accomplished, and must give the sports-entertainment devil his due.

Everything has changed now. For the first time, draftees Snitsky, King Booker & Queen Sharmell, the still-recuperating Mr. Kennedy and Bobby Lashley walk into Virginia’s Richmond Coliseum as Raw Superstars. For the first time, Raw must somehow run under the power of others’ influence…a particularly difficult assignment, considering how WWE as a company must simultaneously sort out an internal balance of power. And for the first time, there is, forgive the expression, “no chance in Hell” that Mr. McMahon will come out to that same-titled entrance theme and make his pronounced billion-dollar swagger down to the ring.

In a prepared statement from the McMahon family—read at a press conference held in WWE World Headquarters Wednesday by Ed Kaufman, Executive Vice President and General Counsel for WWE, Inc.—“The company, and the show, will go on.” This Monday, Raw will also go on, but until then, our fans justifiably ask, “How will it go on?” Can they expect a fitting tribute show like those held on ECW and SmackDown? Should they expect one, considering that Mr. McMahon held his own “Appreciation Night” last Monday night? Will Raw’s Superstars be able to move past last week’s horrific tragedy and forge ahead under new direction, and if so, under whose direction? Can Executive Assistant Jonathan Coachman become a real man with a plan, or will someone else step in to take hold of Raw’s reigns?

The post-Mr. McMahon era of Raw begins Monday night. Regardless of what happens, the show will go on. And if done, so will the memory and spirit of the man who made all of it possible.
Wrestling Observer reports that the real FBI is upset with the Mr. McMahon "death" angle:

The FBI is not happy that WWE is using their name in the McMahon "death" storyline. The difference between WWE using them and a TV show using them is that WWE doesn't run writer credits at the end of their shows. WWE is perpetrating the FBI's involvement in the case of McMahon's "death" as real and that's why they're upset.
I will edit and post any new developments here.

Last edited:

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
I can't help but think of the irony if in actual fact there had been a terrible acident with some misplaced pyros and Mcmahon was dead and nobody belived it becuase they assumed that it was all a work....

SuperKick Kid

I'd like to recommend a poll be added to this thread entitled:

Who Dun It?

With the following choices:

Jackass
Shane
Steph
Triple H
Bret Hart
Linda
John Cena
Coach
Mick Foley
Steve Austin
ect..
and have the final two choices be:

Vince himself

Vince faked his own death

Last edited:

wyndorf

"It was ME Austin!"

Or something like that. Maybe they DO have this all planned out, chances are they haven't and they're going to wing it. Either way expect the Wrestlemania 24 theme to be; 'Who Killed Vince?'

I'm not totally against this idea, I think I'll wait a few weeks/months before I say what a crappy angle it is/was.

Redneck Messiah

I read on one another site that a wrestler gained heat from his reaction during Vince's swan walk. Would love to know if it was Paul London who was grinning like a madman (which I found hysterical). I hope, if the 'rumor' is true, it doesn't land him a spot in the doghouse and affect London/Kendrick as they are a great team and have a nice fued waiting to happen when one of them turns on the other down the line. In a ironic twist sort of way London actually could be a viable suspect in the storylines because his ex-manager was suspended last week (he won't be because he's not considered anywhere close to being main event).

I still think it will be end up Vince faking his own death to 'gain sympathy' in the storylines because of how he was treated on his appreciation night and his current 'madness state'. At least the angle is providing some talk and speculation of what willl happen down the line. I just hope it's a decent enough payoff at the end of the angle although I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

DraVen

It was Paul London, and he's already in the doghouse. No idea what is keeping him employed to be honest.

Redneck Messiah

Figured it had to be London but wasn't sure. I was surprised when he signed a deal with WWE. He's a fantastic talent and a shame that he will probably disappear from the shows or get jobbed like crazy. Wonder if he's trying to get out of his deal with WWE. I still break out his matches in ROH and love to watch them.

dpddave

talent spotter
Subscriber
Why is'nt booby lashley in the poll,he should be the main suspect seeing as he was the last person fueding with vince and was stripped of the title that night....

TPIB

I was thinking earlier (during a 2 hour and 10 minute old Bruce Willis movie). Maybe the angle is going to be a "multiple personalities" type of thing. I could see Vince coming out one of these weeks to people's shock and stating that Vince McMahon is alive, but Mr. McMahon was killed in Wilkes-Barre. It would make sense to the storyline, as I'm yet to see WWE.com refer to him as Vince McMahon.

Kanenite

I hope this doesn't last for the reported 10 months, i'd hate to see it run to Wrestlemania with the Who Did It? Angle still running, i'd atleast hope by then Vince would come out and say yeh I faked it because of whatever. I reckon it's Vince who faked his death, seems most logical and I can see it culminating in a big match with someone who thought it was unacceptable or something like that.

TPIB

Another thought I had is, what if there is no end to the angle? What if WWE just keeps playing it off like McMahon is really dead and then just gradually stop mentioning it? I don't imagine it'd work too well, but it's a thought.

Saz

Vince is dead!

STAMFORD, Conn. – Whether he was looking down on ordinary 9 to 5ers from his corporate office at the Titan Tower or berating onlookers from “his” ring on Raw, SmackDown or ECW on Sci Fi, Mr. McMahon often held our fans in great contempt. The Chairman probably would have never believed that these same fans would drive hundreds of miles to honor him with mountains of flowers, cards and pictures after seeing his apparent fiery demise on Raw this past Monday.

Hundreds of baskets of carnations, sympathy cards, teddy bears, daisies and orchids lined the entrance to the Titan Tower as countless fans made a makeshift memorial to Mr. McMahon, who is presumed dead after the limousine he entered exploded at the end of Raw. Some preferred to leave pictures of the Chairman, while others placed toy replica belts of the ECW World Title he held briefly. But everyone WWE.com interviewed said that while they didn’t love Mr. McMahon, they respected him as a pioneer in the world of sports-entertainment and wanted to thank him for entertaining them all these years.

“I hated the arrogant b******, but I had to come,” said a tearful Peter Frager, who said he drove all the way from Borger, Texas. “I’ve watched wrestling for so many years – I grew up watching him, even during the days when he was just an announcer. It’s going to be weird watching WWE without him.”

One fan, dressed in a retro powder blue sports jacket with the old World Wrestling Federation logo that was once the Chairman’s trademark, was too overcome with grief to talk. His shoulders shook and lips quivered before he buried his face in his hands. He had to be held by his two friends that were at his side.

“He used to practice the Chairman’s strut and swagger,” one friend said. “He’s barely eaten since seeing the explosion. But he insisted on coming here and paying his respects.”

Do’ rags, candles and signs that read “Vince: The Real Icon,” “Long Live the Chairman,” and “The Immortal McMahon” were scattered among the throng of well-wishers gathered outside the Tower. The eyes of some WWE employees widened and some jaws dropped at the outpouring of love for Mr. McMahon.

“I have never seen anything like this,” said a receptionist at the headquarters. “It’s just amazing. … I could barely maneuver past the flower baskets when I returned from lunch.”

The McMahon family remained heavily on the minds of our fans. Harold Laurel, of Bayonne, N.J., said the Chairman’s tragedy hit him especially hard. Looking up at his 3-year-old – who was sitting on his shoulders and was preoccupied with sucking on a Jolly Rancher – Laurel said that McMahon’s presumed death reminded him that life can be too random and too short to be taken for granted.

“The fact that this happened just before Father’s Day – it’s just terrible, terrible,” he said. “I know how Shane and Stephanie must feel – my Dad passed away around this time last year. I just hope they can get through this and help their mother get through this.”

Laurel then gently knelt down as he enabled his son to come down from his shoulders. The boy continued eating his Jolly Rancher as his father enveloped his small fingers in his hands.

“Entertainment aside, this whole thing just reminds me that we have to cherish each other every day,” Laurel continued. “I’ll miss seeing Mr. McMahon. He was evil, but he still had a family. I hope he has found some peace.”

Source: wwe.com
What a work... shame no one gives a damn about the driver!

Red05

I hope this doesn't last for the reported 10 months, i'd hate to see it run to Wrestlemania with the Who Did It?
Well they can't solve all this in a couple of weeks then get back to normal can they? Something this substantial is going to take months to resolve, and rightfully so I reckon.

Ryan

Some murders/deaths take decades to solve, some dont get solved at all.

dpddave

talent spotter
Subscriber
Lets all hope they dont bother trying to resolve,forget about vince and concentrate on putting some decent wrestling on RAW instead.

Kanenite

Well they can't solve all this in a couple of weeks then get back to normal can they? Something this substantial is going to take months to resolve, and rightfully so I reckon.
Obviously they can't solve it in a couple of weeks, the angle would be a joke if they revealed what happened in a couple of weeks. My point is I hope the mystery of what happened doesn't run for however long reported. After they found out what happened fair enough, make a feud out of it with someone end it with a match, whatever, but having the lingering angle of What happened? is going to do my head in if they keep at it the way they have already been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.