Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Moments of good AI in games?

Ratings
Besides graphics, artificial intelligence in games can also be a selling point. The element most commonly associated with AI might be enemies, but it can also be NPCs, like how a crowd reacts to the player running through them or doing something dangerous in their midst.

I was playing Dark Souls one day. I stood still and an enemy that was a floor below noticed me, and it was smart enough to navigate the area and come out a window above me and get the drop on my character. I was hearing noise around my character up to that point, and I was wondering what that noise was, lol. Turns out it was him.

Any general examples of good AI in video games? It can be an isolated incident that speaks to the quality of the game's AI design, or a moment when the AI was particularly smart, but it can also just be the game as a whole.

Ratings
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War became two of my favourite games thanks to their brilliant use of AI with their Nemesis System. I highly recommend playing it if you haven't already. Although the games don't appeal to me, I think the popular gaming franchise The Sims meets the criteria too.

Ratings
Many shooter games have good AI characters. They sometimes hit me even when I'm already ducking or hiding behind a wall. I hate it when that happens because I was beaten by an AI.

AI algorithms (procedural content generation) have changed the way we perceive video gaming. I remember watching a demo of 'No Man's Sky' and was amazed at how AI was being used to general a countless number of planets, for players exploring the galaxy. AI is such a great game-changer!