Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Mitsuharu Misawa pronounced dead

Jayfunk

damn look at the number of awards this guy will be missed greatly

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
5 Star Match (1985) vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi on March 9
5 Star Match (1990) vs. Jumbo Tsuruta on June 8
5 Star Match (1990) with Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on October 19
5 Star Match (1991) with Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on April 20
5 Star Match (1992) with Kenta Kobashi and Toshiaki Kawada vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on May 22
5 Star Match (1993) with Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue and Yoshinari Ogawa on July 2
5 Star Match (1993) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on December 3
5 Star Match (1994) with Kenta Kobashi and Giant Baba vs. Masanobu Fuchi, Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on February 13
5 Star Match (1994) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on May 21
5 Star Match (1994) vs. Toshiaki Kawada on June 3
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on January 21
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on March 4
5 Star Match (1995) vs. Akira Taue on April 15
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on June 9
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi and Satoru Asako vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue and Tamon Honda on June 30
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on May 23
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on June 7
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on December 6
5 Star Match (1997) vs. Toshiaki Kawada on June 6
5 Star Match (1997) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on December
5 Star Match (1998) vs. Kenta Kobashi on October 31
5 Star Match (1999) vs. Kenta Kobashi on June 11
5 Star Match (1999) with Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama on October 23
5 Star Match (2003) vs. Kenta Kobashi on March 1
Best Flying Wrestler (1985, 1986)
Best Wrestling Maneuver (1985) Topé con Giro
Feud of the Year (1990, 1991) vs. Jumbo Tsuruta
Match of the Year (1985) vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi on June 12, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on June 7, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1998) vs. Kenta Kobashi on October 31, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1999) vs. Kenta Kobashi on June 11, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (2003) vs. Kenta Kobashi on March 1, Tokyo, Japan
Most Outstanding Wrestler (1997, 1999)
Most Underrated Wrestler (1988)
Tag Team of the Year (1995) with Kenta Kobashi
Tag Team of the Year (1996, 1997) with Jun Akiyama
Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1997, 1999)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)

Twig

damn look at the number of awards this guy will be missed greatly

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
5 Star Match (1985) vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi on March 9
5 Star Match (1990) vs. Jumbo Tsuruta on June 8
5 Star Match (1990) with Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on October 19
5 Star Match (1991) with Toshiaki Kawada and Kenta Kobashi vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on April 20
5 Star Match (1992) with Kenta Kobashi and Toshiaki Kawada vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue and Masanobu Fuchi on May 22
5 Star Match (1993) with Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue and Yoshinari Ogawa on July 2
5 Star Match (1993) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on December 3
5 Star Match (1994) with Kenta Kobashi and Giant Baba vs. Masanobu Fuchi, Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on February 13
5 Star Match (1994) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on May 21
5 Star Match (1994) vs. Toshiaki Kawada on June 3
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on January 21
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on March 4
5 Star Match (1995) vs. Akira Taue on April 15
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi vs. Akira Taue and Toshiaki Kawada on June 9
5 Star Match (1995) with Kenta Kobashi and Satoru Asako vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue and Tamon Honda on June 30
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on May 23
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on June 7
5 Star Match (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on December 6
5 Star Match (1997) vs. Toshiaki Kawada on June 6
5 Star Match (1997) with Jun Akiyama vs. Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue on December
5 Star Match (1998) vs. Kenta Kobashi on October 31
5 Star Match (1999) vs. Kenta Kobashi on June 11
5 Star Match (1999) with Yoshinari Ogawa vs. Kenta Kobashi and Jun Akiyama on October 23
5 Star Match (2003) vs. Kenta Kobashi on March 1
Best Flying Wrestler (1985, 1986)
Best Wrestling Maneuver (1985) Topé con Giro
Feud of the Year (1990, 1991) vs. Jumbo Tsuruta
Match of the Year (1985) vs. Kuniaki Kobayashi on June 12, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1996) with Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams and Johnny Ace on June 7, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1998) vs. Kenta Kobashi on October 31, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (1999) vs. Kenta Kobashi on June 11, Tokyo, Japan
Match of the Year (2003) vs. Kenta Kobashi on March 1, Tokyo, Japan
Most Outstanding Wrestler (1997, 1999)
Most Underrated Wrestler (1988)
Tag Team of the Year (1995) with Kenta Kobashi
Tag Team of the Year (1996, 1997) with Jun Akiyama
Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1997, 1999)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)
Yeah, 24 five star matches, tied with Kobashi for the most...... ..... .... ..... ..... ........ ......... ......... . . ... ... ... .. .. ... ... .. ............ ....... ****.... ... This happened on my mom's birthday, too.

Last edited:

ScottyB

GA have this up.

Mitsuharu Misawa was rubbing his neck throughout his final match, and it looked clear that the damage and pain in his neck had worsened over the past few years.

The injury Misawa suffered was actually a shattered C-1 and C-2 vertebrae, which means essentially, his head and spine were no longer connected, which led to him suffering a cardiopulmonary arrest.

It was somewhat similar to the injury that actor Christopher Reeve suffered that left him paralyzed.

Misawa never got the medical opinion that many in the US did. Guys like Steve Austin, Ted DiBiase and DDP were all told that one more bad bump and they could be paralyzed, or worse, dead.

Misawa was diagnosed two years ago with a cervical sprain in a match he suffered a concussion in. But the old-school toughness mentality installed in Misawa at a young age drove him on to continue wrestling through injures.

The Japanese press admitted that Misawa probably shouldn’t have been wrestling anymore.

Some news coming out of Japan is that there is major talk of medical regulations being implemented in pro wrestling in Japan.

Hiroshi Hase (former NJPW star) invited the major people in Japanese wrestling – Ryu Nakata of NOAH, New Japan’s President, a famous medical trainer, Keiji Mutoh, and a fifth person – to a political committee meeting to talk about Mitsuharu Misawa’s death.

Paul

I have to admit that no matter how often I read it, I still chuckle at a man having cervical problems.

ShaolinHandLock

It's apparently been reported that Akitoshi Saito is on suicide watch after attempting suicide. I don't have a link, but a translated Japanese sports site posted the information.

I just really hope that he'll be alright. If he does commit suicide then it will add another layer of tragedy to an already tragic event. :(

Jimmy Redman

I've heard that he's had death threats against him and stuff. The poor man, I cant even imagine how bad he must feel.

ScottyB

Word on the net is the people behind the Misawa tribute show have been asking the WWE to allow either Punk or Bourne to participate.

DC

A little off topic, but do you think Saito will change the names of his signature and finishers since they all seem to have Death in their names?

Fidel Cashflow

I've heard that he's had death threats against him and stuff. The poor man, I cant even imagine how bad he must feel.
Sterling Marlin is probably the only guy in the world right now who knows how Saito is feeling.

Now, I imagine everyone just went "Who?", but he's a NASCAR driver that was involved in the accident that cost Dale Earnhardt his life. He became depressed and was swamped with death threats. It's a weird burden to bear for someone who idolizes someone just as much as everyone else does.

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
A little off topic, but do you think Saito will change the names of his signature and finishers since they all seem to have Death in their names?
Seen as the back suplex he used was called the Death Landing I hope so.

But then again when he and Bison won the other day, Saito got the pinfall with his enziguri kick and it was listed as the Sickle of Death still so who knows.

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
From Wrestling 101:

Last Saturday, Japanese wrestling icon, Pro Wrestling NOAH Founder-President and one of the greatest wrestlers of all time Mitusharu Misawa died following a bout in Hiroshima. Whilst teaming with Go Shiozaki against GHC Tag Team Champions Akitoshi Saito and Bison Smith, Misawa was knocked unconscious following a backdrop suplex from Saito. A stunned, hushed crowd watched as a doctor from the audience tried to revive him using CPR before he was rushed to a local hospital who pronounced him dead at 10:10 PM...

> TheBigBoot Goes Global #1: Mitsuharu Misawa

Twig

Today at Differ Ariake in Tokyo, a public memorial was held in tribute to Mitsuharu Misawa who died in Hiroshima on June 13th. The memorial ceremony was styled in a similar fashion to Giant Baba’s memorial ceremony in February of 1999 at Nippon Budokan. A super-large portrait picture of Mitsuharu Misawa wearing the GHC Heavyweight title belt was placed alongside row after row of flower bouquets. The NOAH green ring was set-up in the middle of the arena, surrounded by tables with flowers surrounding the ring. The event was a two-part ceremony (first part for the wrestlers, second part for the fans). Asahi Shimbun reported that fans started lining up for the event yesterday (Friday) at 4 PM. Conservative estimates were that 10,000 fans showed up, but the number being floated around as the day-long memorial service took place was more along the lines of 25,000 fans. An estimated 28,000 fans attendended Giant Baba’s memorial ceremony 10 years ago.

Virtually every big name imaginable in the business showed up to the service to pay their respects. Akebono received the most Japanese media attention. Masa Chono, Yuji Nagata, Kensuke Sasaki & Akira Hokuto, Riki Choshu, Tatsumi Fujinami, and many other wrestlers were in attendance.

Kazuo Tokumitsu handled a lot of the talking at the ceremony. There was a ten-count gong, then Misawa’s “Spartan X” theme song played, then a ring call was done for a final time introducing him coming to the red corner at 250 pounds, then his name announced. (Think back to what was done at the Tokyo Dome in 1999 for Giant Baba’s final ring call.)

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Any news of any American stars turning up, or at least someone representing them? I probably being over optimistic by hoping that the WWE at least sent a token representative.

Twig

Not sure, I heard Chris Hero was in the locker room during the incident. That's all I know.