Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Mitsuharu Misawa pronounced dead

Shaun2J

Do what thou wilt
Subscriber
On June 13, 2009, after receiving a belly to back suplex during a match at Hiroshima Green Arena, he lost consciousness and was taken to a hospital. He was pronounced dead in the hospital at 10:10 p.m
Source: Wikipedia (linked from www.yomiuri.co.jp)

Last edited:

Paul

Seems to have been a heart attack that did him in, or so early reports say.

RIP. :(

Laffy

Wales forever!!!
This is really sad he was on of my favourite wrestlers. RIP

Frank Botch

This is truly horrible news, I'm totally in shock. This is even more upsetting than Eddie for me, Misawa is probably my favourite wrestler ever.

This is from the Observer
MISAWA PASSES AWAY FROM BACK SUPLEX

Mitsuharu Misawa, one of the greatest pro wrestlers of all-time, was declared dead at 10:10 p.m. Saturday night at a hospital in Hiroshima after being dropped on his head in a tag team title match.

Misawa would have turned 47 on June 18th.

Misawa & Go Shiozaki were challening Bison Smith & Akitoshi Saito for the GHC tag team championship in Hiroshima and Misawa was dropped on his head at about 8:45 p.m. and knocked unconscious.

According to eye witness reports, Saito gave Misawa a "routine" back suplex that was described as a "7" in danger on a scale of one-to-ten. He did not get up. It was chaos in the ring as they attempted to revive him using CPR and the crowd was hushed for a while, and began a "Misawa" chant. He turned purple in the ring and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.

The wrestlers were told on the bus that he had passed away.

Misawa was the Japanese high school national wrestling champion at 187 pounds in 1980, and was recruited by Giant Baba into All Japan Pro Wrestling. He gained his first taste of stardom in 1984 when he was chosen to be the second Tiger Mask. After unmasking in 1990, he became an even bigger star after a series of singles matches with Jumbo Tsuruta.

He was Japan's biggest pro wrestling star of the 90s, and one could make a strong case for him as the top wrestler of the decade. He was the Wrestler of the Year in 1995, 1997 and 1999.

After the death of Shohei "Giant" Baba, Misawa wrestled a little over one more year for All Japan Pro Wrestling, while working as company president. After consistently butting heads with owner Motoko Baba, the widow of Shohei Baba, he and 90% of the All Japan roster quit the company to form Pro Wrestling NOAH

Cathal

I've actually never seen the guy wrestle but he's a big enough name that I know of him.

RIP.

Frank Botch

This is from a blog written by Chris Hero.

Words cannot express how deeply shocked I am. We're all just in utter disbelief. Stunned sadness.

The moments at ringside felt an eternity. Never, in my life, have I wanted the fighting spirit to jump into someone's being more than I wanted tonight. The fans chanted Misawa, Misawa, Misawa. They wanted their Hero to get up so f***ing bad. Just get up. Come on! You're too tough for this. Too strong. I grabbed his boots and held onto them til they took him away.

My heart goes out to his family. His students. His peers. His friends. His fans. His opponents tonight and his partner. It was a freak accident. No one is at fault.

Rest in Peace Shacho.
This is just so sad, still pretty stunned. All the times I've seen him dropped directly on his head, it was a running joke that his neck was indestructable, and to think a routine suplex caused this.

Cathal

GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match
Bison SMITH & Akitoshi SAITO (Champion Team) (W) vs. Mitsuharu MISAWA & Go SHIOZAKI (Challenger Team) (L)
@27 min 03 sec. SAITO beat MISAWA by TKO.
Team of Bison & SAITO successfully defended their title for the 3rd time.

http://www.noah-usa.cc/results2009.html
This sure was a pretty stupid thing to do.

Paul

By TKO?! Sorry, but that made me laugh it was so unexpected and absurd.

Frank Botch

The only thing I can think is that they didn't know how serious it was. It is the US site and they're usually behind with news, still though it should be changed by now.

Got to feel for Saito too, even though Misawa has been broken down for years and was risking serious injury every time he wrestled ,he's going to be known for this.

Last edited:

DraVen

They missed a trick here: think of all the punchlines if he died during an atomic drop.

Thanks, I'll be here all night. Try the veal.

But all kidding aside, what a damn shame. That's no way for anyone to go and the guy is a complete legend in the business. But more than that, he's a man with (I assume) a family and it sucks that his body simply couldn't keep up with his spirit anymore. I guess he at least died doing something he loved, but still just awful, and Saito must be beside himself when he isn't even to blame. So sad.

RIP!

Evil Gringo

Not really Evil, but I like Burritos
This is massive, it was only a year ago I was watching he and Marufuji take on Go and Kobashi in Coventry.

Now he is gone.

The biggest issue to come from this, aside from the obvious and upsetting and devastating loss to his family and friends is the fact that NOAH will probably now go under as well.

It is struggling right now as it is, hence why he, Taue and Kobashi, three parts of the stellar four strong headliner lineup in 90's AJPW had carried on going into the ring for NOAH. There is no doubt in my mind right now that strain and his condition as it was due to the punishment he has received over the years has contributed to this tragedy.

This man WAS NOAH, he WAS Japanese wrestling for so long, he was an innovator, a mastermind in the ring, a genius and from about 1998 till now he was the man who drove All Japan and then NOAH in front of the crowds and behind the scenes as well.

They just can't recover from this, they won't and it will be so sad to see what should be the great legacy of a great man fall aside.

I am just gutted right now, I have just checked the news to see how the tour was going and I just sat there for about five minutes just staring at my screen agog and I still don't know what to think or feel.

RIP Misawa, may you find peace.

DC

Does anyone think that this will bring in some changes with regards to how stiff the Japanese style is worked?

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Woooow, that sucks. To me, wrestling-wise, that's the biggest loss to the business wince Chris Benoit. So sad.

I think DC might be right about Puro getting slightly toned down in it's stiffness. You'd hope so, but Puro guys are hardcore, you never know.

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
the incidents already up on youtube.

R.I.P Misawa, you were a collossus to japanese wrestling. :sad:

Jimmy Redman

R.I.P.

You know, for years I've been hearing about Japanese wrestling, and for years I have just never got it. Seen a few matches here and there, enjoyed them I guess, but expected a lot more. Totally never understood why people talk it up as so far ahead of American wrestling and all that. Maybe its because its a different culture, maybe because I dont know the characters, maybe its not as good watching sh*t on YouTube, maybe because of all the no-selling, but for whatever reason, I just did not understand Japanese wrestling.

Then a week or so ago Meltzer mentioned the anniversary of THE Misawa/Kawada match from 1994, so I thought 'what the hell?' and watched it.

Now I understand Japanese wrestling.

Just thought I'd mention that, although whether I happened to unlock the secret to Puro this month or not, I know that Misawa was a really very big f*cking deal. Really hugely big loss to wrestling. This sucks.

My mother no-sold this announcement because she obviously has no idea who he is, but I said "It would be like if Shawn Michaels dropped dead in the ring" and she sort of smelt what I was cooking.

ShaolinHandLock

This is probably the most unexpected news I could ever think of.....

I still haven't watched my ROH Glory By Honor VI Night One and Night Two DVD's, which Misawa is featured in. Now, when I do watch them, this will be in my mind.

He was the second incarnation of Tiger Mask, and I remember seeing a really good match between him (as Tiger Mask II) against Bret Hart on YouTube.

He pretty much died in the ring.....that's quite possibly the biggest shock of it all.

R.I.P. :(

EDIT - And the NOAH website completely (and disrespectfully) no sold his death:

GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match
Bison SMITH & Akitoshi SAITO (Champion Team) (W) vs. Mitsuharu MISAWA & Go SHIOZAKI (Challenger Team) (L)
@27 min 03 sec. SAITO beat MISAWA by TKO.
Team of Bison & SAITO successfully defended their title for the 3rd time.
http://www.noah-usa.cc/results2009.html

Last edited:

Dave7g

This is bigger than Eddie and Benoit, what Misawa did for the business will hardly ever be matched by anyone. The man was an absolute legend and had some of the greatest matches I've ever seen in my life with Kawada. He was a miserable old bastard and he died happy I have no doubt. R.I.P.

ShaolinHandLock

I completely forgot about the match that I saw on YouTube a while back between Misawa (as Tiger Mask II) against Mil Mascaras.

I will embed the link in the YouTube Wrestling Finds thread.