Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Meghan Markle

Evie

Ratings
Am I the only person who is sick to death of hearing about Meghan Markle? I think that she's an emblem for some great things, like racial diversity in the royal family, but the media has a real fascination with her. They just can't let go. I think I would like her a lot more if her face wasn't everywhere. I think the most annoying thing is when I see petty magazines trying to create some kind of rivalry between her and Kate. I've seen headlines in American news stories like, "Why is Meghan standing behind Kate at this royal event?" Uh, for the same reason that Harry is standing behind William, you nitwits.

Ratings
You know how the media is, they have to have a story every single day, especially these days. The Internet these days 'requires' a constant, non-stop stream of content, no matter what that content is. I would hate to be an employee at a newspaper or one of those online gossip sites. Every single day you have to write something about somebody. I can't even imagine that being my work day, ugh! I like Meghan just as much as the next person does I suppose. I think she's a darling young lady, so I don't blame her for all of this attention that she's getting. She's handling it quite nicely I think.

I "blame" Prince Harry for all of this. If he wasn't so flippin' beautiful and gorgeous and handsome, people would hardly even care all that much about Meghan, if we're being honest. Yes, they would still be fascinated with a half-black woman being part of the Royal Family, but if she had married someone that looked like a hunchbacked ogre, people wouldn't be so consumed with her every move.

Ratings
I know the media is the real problem. Well, the 24-hour news cycle is the real problem. I would imagine that writing for one of those sites would be an exceptionally time-consuming and soul-sucking job. She has been groomed for this sort of media attention as a celebrity (even if she never really got it until she started dating Prince Harry). I don't want to dislike her because of all this - I know it's not really her fault - but it's become a Pavlovian response to just feel irritated whenever I see her face.

That's probably at least partially true. Kate and Princess Diana (the latter was married to a man I have never considered attractive) being in the spotlight made more sense to me since they are in line for the throne. Prince Harry's popularity surely has something to do with the Meghan Markle fascination. I also think her being an American and former actress probably helps too.