Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Major changes for TNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The GS

PWTorch learned last week there are internal discussions at a high level in TNA about considering re-branding the company or taking a different approach to the product.

Even a change to the company's name is "at least being considered" during this round of discussions aimed at giving TNA's product a recognizable identity.

As ratings have trended downward long-term and short-term, notably the males 18-34 demographic for last Thursday's show hitting a one-year low, there have been talks about taking a new approach to the product to make it "clearly different" from WWE.

Any proposed changes are currently at the discussion stage, but some major changes could be coming sooner rather than later if the talks turn into action.

Another element of this story is the Spike TV aspect. Initial ratings for the new season of UFC's Ultimate Fighter have been below average despite Brock Lesnar starring as one of the coaches. TNA's decline in key demo ratings, along with UFC's disappointing ratings, could prompt Spike TV to make changes or push TNA to make changes. The downward trends are not going unnoticed.
source: PWTorch

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Excellent news. The new TNA can, at worst, be as bad as the current TNA, so it's worth a shot. It's great to see a wrestling company actually willing to take a risk and try something different. Shame it's only taken three years, and probably won't involve Vince Russo being eaten by tigers.

etz

Maybe, just maybe, they should go back to being about great wrestling. Their problem certainly isn't in the ring, it's all the other shit they do. I mean, just a thought.

Chriscare

I watched Impact a couple of weeks ago and it couldn't have had more than 30 seconds of wrestling in the first hour. So yea, Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling probably isn't a great name for it.

tweetiejovi

I watch TNA for the old school but seriously there is more fighting in Corrie than Impact these days.

Jayfunk

I don't get that, Impact is about the same as raw in terms of wrestling in the show if not slightly more,

Paul

I don't get that, Impact is about the same as raw in terms of wrestling in the show if not slightly more,
Nobody said otherwise. And nobody mentioned WWE beyond a single mention in the report that is utterly irrelevent to what you said.

So yeah, keep your TNA Vs WWE stuff away from threads its not needed in.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
This week, if you look at it per hour, Raw actually has the most wrestling of any televised wrestling show. Raw averaged 16.5 minutes per hour, whilst Impact only had 13.5 minutes per hour, making Impact 4th over all, behind Smackdown (14.5 minutes) and Superstars (15 minutes). The only show they beat was NXT which averaged 9 minutes per hour.

As Darkie said though, that's another issue. The first thing TNA need to do is stop following WWE's formula, and then complaining that WWE do it too. Of course they do it too, they've been doing it for years, if you don't like it, do something different, don't just use someone else's failings to excuse your own. That's one of the reasons that TNA does the shitty business that it does.

Last edited:

The Beltster

People who put these stats together must be so very very bored :lol: Sat there with their little stop watch. *Click.....click* "Thats 5 more seconds of wrestling, add it!"

As for changes to TNA, its so long overdue that I wont believe it until Russo is fired. They'll probably just change the name of the promotion and expect the booking and creative problems to be solved as a result/work themselves out.

Its not a TNA problem, its a Vince Russo problem. Everybody apart from the people who employ the guy realizes this.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Yeah, Russo needs to go, like, three years ago. I think Dixie also needs to do some sort of Dana White/Zuffa thing, and give the business decisions to someone who knows what they're doing whilst she just writes the cheques.

The Beltster

Anybody remember when WWE took Russo back and he wanted to turn the Rock gay? :lol: He was fired pretty quick.

Paul

Wasnt that some way of Russo trying to get free of a contract so he could go to TNA?

I forget the exacts, but wasnt he still under contract to WWE through WCW and so needed to get himself fired so he could leave? That said I wouldnt put anything past him booking.

The Beltster

I'm pretty sure he was a free agent and WWE specifically went out and signed him as an advisor, working from home or something like that, or they brought him in to book, that was his idea and they sent him home to work from home as an advisor, and then fired him. I dunno, thats how I remember it.

Edit: From Wiki:

World Wrestling Entertainment (2002)

Russo later returned to WWE in mid 2002 but quickly left after saying that there was "no way in the world that this thing would work out...I felt there were layers upon layers of people to go through to get my ideas accepted."

In Russo's book Rope Opera, Russo said he called Vince McMahon when the WWE's Raw rating went below a 4.0. After meeting McMahon at his house, Russo proposed his main story of having McMahon hiring Eric Bischoff to be the General Manager of the company. McMahon would then torture Bischoff due to their previous history; Bischoff would then use his past relationships with previous WCW talent and get to McMahon's son Shane which would eventually lead to Vince McMahon losing power.

Vince McMahon eventually introduced Russo to the creative team, which consisted of Michael Hayes, Paul Heyman and in Russo's words, "children, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, while looking scared to death at the same time." Russo then spent three hours laying out one year of storylines and characters to the team to which nobody on the team said anything to.

Rumor has it that the idea he put forward was an entire restart of the WCW Invasion, featuring previously unsigned talent such as Bill Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Eric Bischoff and Bret Hart. The reports imply that his idea was so poorly received that Russo was immediately demoted from the position of 'Head Creative Director' to that of a "consultant". Russo states in an interview that after a meeting with the WWE creative team, he got a call from McMahon who said that Russo should be a "consultant" instead. He was then sent a contract to sign but prior to signing, Russo wanted to explore other options and have more of a "hands-on" influence on the creative product.

As a result, Russo then left of his own accord (turning down a $125,000 per year stay-at-home ‘advisory’ role with WWE in favour of a $100,000 per year full-time position with TNA).

In late 2005, a 3-disc DVD boxset was released entitled Pro Wrestling's Ultimate Insiders which consists of interviews with him along with co-writer Ed Ferrara about their time in the World Wrestling Federation and World Championship Wrestling.

Last edited:

Paul

Fair enough, I must be mixing it up with something else.

John Hancock

Senior Moderator
Subscriber
To be honest Darkie, would I wouldn't be surprised at all if the story you heard is what Russo's been going around telling people. The guy's completely delusional by all accounts.

Dante Spears

I've never been able to wrap my head around turning down a higher paying job that requires less work.

The GS

From 2 weeks ago:
The son of TNA Wrestling creative writer Vince Russo was recently hired to work for the organization in Nashville, Tennessee in a beginner's production capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.