• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Major changes for Talk Wrestling Online and Wrestling 101 in 2015

Kam

Administrator
Administrator
Ratings
209 2
Over the years we've had quite a few big changes take place at TWO and as the community heads towards it's 15th year online we're about to work on our biggest yet.

It's no secret that the interest in the community with the current pro wrestling scene has been declining over the past few years. Whilst many of us still keep informed of current goings on we're not invested in it like we were a few years ago. For the site to continue to remain relevant it's vital that we adapt. We cannot focus on pro wrestling if less and less of you want to talk about it online. The passion that many of you had for wrestling can still be seen on the forum in other areas like the Sports and Entertainment forums. Whether you are a fan of cult TV shows, movies, comic books, sports, video games etc - we're all still fans in one way or another, just not so much into wrestling as we were! So what do we do about it?

We change!

Talk Wrestling Online will be renamed Talk Whatever Online

Wrestling 101 will become Cult of Whatever

What changes will there be?

- All of the current Talk Wrestling Online and Wrestling 101 content will be moved over to the new domains - no content will be lost and all previous links will be redirected to the new domains

- The forum software will then be switched from vBulletin to XenForo - this change means the forum apps will no longer be used

- The UK and US Scene Forums will merge to create a single 'Wrestling Forum'

- The Trading Forum will be removed

- The Forums will be ordered differently to reflect our focus more on cult entertainment

I've made the decision to switch forum software as vBulletin has not had any suitable progress in years, if we want the community to continue we need software that is being updated and safe. Ultimately it should make a better experience for you as we'll see some new features. It's a big step to not only change names but to change software also, but I'm confident this is the best time to push ahead with this.

Please note, wrestling will still continue to be a key focus of the sites and I'll be continuing with the FWL but these changes mean we'll be able to expand what we offer.

I'm hoping to begin the changeover in about 4-6 weeks, more details will be announced nearer the time.

I hope you all can understand why these changes are being made and if you do have any questions/queries, just let me know.

Last edited:

DC

Ratings
539 2
I feel that this is a long overdue change and I for one welcome it with open arms.

Maxximus

Chaotic Good
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Ratings
358 2
Bring it!

It works perfect if you ask me, and we won't even have to change anything as far as the podcast goes. I'd like to think we kinda sparked interest in this change by moving away from pro wrestling ourselves. Yep, I'm totally taking credit for that. :lol:

ShaolinHandLock

Ratings
So between this place and the other forums I post on, both are going to have changed from pro-wrestling focused forums to general discussion forums....nope, I'm out.

And as for not losing any content after switching forum software, I'll believe it when I see it. There are a few forums I lurk at that switched forum software, and all of their archives ended up wiped from existence, never to be seen again. R.I.P. Talk Wrestling Online.

The Fury

The Last King of Scotland
Subscriber
Ratings
65 1 4
Don't Bury it just yet man give it a try!

Let's see how the move goes but looking forward to it!

King

Forum Leader
Ratings
282 1
Bring it on, it can only mean good things for the forums and it's members :)

dsrchris

Am disappoint, son
Senior Moderator
Subscriber
Ratings
So between this place and the other forums I post on, both are going to have changed from pro-wrestling focused forums to general discussion forums....nope, I'm out.

And as for not losing any content after switching forum software, I'll believe it when I see it. There are a few forums I lurk at that switched forum software, and all of their archives ended up wiped from existence, never to be seen again. R.I.P. Talk Wrestling Online.
Dude, there's still gonna be wrestling/pizza party discussion, we're just branching out into other things too. So where Wrestling101 was, instead of just a bunch of wrestling related articles, now you'll also be able to read (and y'know, contribute) to things like music reviews (seriously, I know you like your music so why not think about contributing something to that), movie news, general news, sometimes the weird and wonderful side of the web, it just makes sense to not have the site restricted in it's scope to one subject that is floundering at the moment. The forums shouldn't actually be that different, they're just getting a spruce and tidy up, but we'll still have the same conversations. The wrestling stuff will still be there, it'll just allow more scope to cover other things that happen in the world too.

I think saying you're out without even seeing what the new site's gonna consist of is a bit douchey to be honest. You should at least give it a try, you never know you might find more things to talk about than you realised?

I'm stoked for the changeover. So stoked that I'm actually planning on starting up writing articles again now I can write about something I've got an interest in.

EDIT: Okay, I retract the "douchey" comment, but it is a bit near-sighted to say the least. I thought Shao would be all over the opportunity to cover something he's passionate about. I mean, you could submit an article about Horrorcore, since nobody else on here seems to know anything about it, you could use this as an opportunity to write something about something you love to educate folks and then submit it to Kam. It's the possibility of the website being able to be about everything and nothing in particular that's really got my interest piqued.

Last edited:

Boyo

Ratings
Sad, but ultimately necessary changes needed. Wrestling chat, whilst still a big thing on this site, is dying a death, and no one's going to admit to wanting to talk about wrestling any more. In fact I've noticed a shift recently, generally speaking; people long to be geeks now, and talk about geeky stuff in a geeky way. They'll never admit to liking wrestling, oh no, but they'll happily talk about wrestling under the pretence that they're geeking out. See: Den of Geek, The Richest, and others of that ilk.

Kam's announcement is basically something that I've been banging the drum for in the past few years in the mod forum. In fact it looks like the guts of something I suggested 12 to 18 months ago. Take "wrestling" out the name of the website, re-order everything so TV, Movies, Sports, News (etc) are the first forums you see when you log in, keep a wrestling forum of course, but make it very much a "curtain jerker", as it were.

The site needs it, desperately, and I think it will allow the site to grow further. Ha, just imagining in 10 years time when we're still explaining to noobs why there's a suspiciously high amount of wrestling influenced usernames :p

Cheers!

ViciousPrism

Ratings
Well. Looks like I may be writing more for COW. Vidya Games here I come.

I saw this coming a mile away, with wrestling on a major downward spiral it was necessary. About 14/15 years was a good run.

And don't mind SHL. He bitches about changes but never leaves. He'll be back.

ShaolinHandLock

Ratings
Dude, there's still gonna be wrestling/pizza party discussion, we're just branching out into other things too. So where Wrestling101 was, instead of just a bunch of wrestling related articles, now you'll also be able to read (and y'know, contribute) to things like music reviews (seriously, I know you like your music so why not think about contributing something to that), movie news, general news, sometimes the weird and wonderful side of the web, it just makes sense to not have the site restricted in it's scope to one subject that is floundering at the moment. The forums shouldn't actually be that different, they're just getting a spruce and tidy up, but we'll still have the same conversations. The wrestling stuff will still be there, it'll just allow more scope to cover other things that happen in the world too.

I think saying you're out without even seeing what the new site's gonna consist of is a bit douchey to be honest. You should at least give it a try, you never know you might find more things to talk about than you realised?

I'm stoked for the changeover. So stoked that I'm actually planning on starting up writing articles again now I can write about something I've got an interest in.

EDIT: Okay, I retract the "douchey" comment, but it is a bit near-sighted to say the least. I thought Shao would be all over the opportunity to cover something he's passionate about. I mean, you could submit an article about Horrorcore, since nobody else on here seems to know anything about it, you could use this as an opportunity to write something about something you love to educate folks and then submit it to Kam. It's the possibility of the website being able to be about everything and nothing in particular that's really got my interest piqued.
All of that is fine in theory, I just don't want the forum to die.

I've seen it happen before: a forum decides to expand and upgrade using new software, during the upgrade the archives are lost meaning that the years of discussions which built up the forums were all for nothing, and this leads to the only people posting being a few regulars who try their best to keep the forum alive, until the inevitable day when the person running the forum either shuts it down, or the domain lease expires and the entire site disappears into nothingness, as if none of it happened in the first place and it was all a pointless exercise in meaninglessness.

I've seen it happen to quite a few forums that I used to lurk at over the years, and I don't want to see it happen here.

I saw this coming a mile away, with wrestling on a major downward spiral it was necessary. About 14/15 years was a good run.
Why is it that whenever my interest in wrestling increases again, everybody else's interest disappears? I don't get it.

And don't mind SHL. He bitches about changes but never leaves. He'll be back.
Technically I left these forums ages ago......

Omega

Global Modd
Subscriber
Ratings
364 2

and as a trusted forum member I can be useful in rounding up slaves to toil in your underground sugar mines.

King

Forum Leader
Ratings
282 1
I view this forum using the app for my phone; is this gone forever or will it change over?
The new forums will be very easy to view on any smartphone or tablet using an Internet Browser, but as of right now there will be no App.

Yodahew

Ratings
20 1
Will there be future scope for an app? I love TWO but have noticed the wrestling chat waning over the last year. I use the app all the time and is probably my 3rd most used app on my phone.

Sad day.

ViciousPrism

Ratings
There is an app called Tapatalk that would work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Mostly because "Posted using Tapatalk on [insert device here" will become as ubiquitous as "Cheers!"

Ratings
Umm...

Okay, so on the plus: I've called for a move to XenForo forever. Better software made by the people who made vBulletin 3 so successful and powerful. vBulletin went to toss with vB4 and never recovered. I also welcome the merging of certain forums which again was long overdue. Less is more and since TWO isn't as busy or popular as it once was, condensing things down is a positive step.

And the negative? The names. Holy f*cking christ are they bad. Talk Whatever Online? Just call it ****offhorses - at least you can fit it into a Twitter handle. I'm not even commenting on Cult of Whatever: you all have eyes and can see how awful that is. I understand that wrestling is not what it used to be but the whole reason that TWO succeeded in the first place was its niche value - wrestling fans congregated together to talk about what they love. Now it'll just be wrestling fans talking about what they love but with no incentive for anyone else to join in. Who is going to find COW (****ing COW!!!) and think that this is anything better than what already exists on WhatCulture, Buzzfeed or the million sites who do this kind of stuff better? The audience, far from expanding, has probably now shrunk because the thing that brought everyone together has now been replaced with a broad free-for-all that can be found in other places in better forms. Yes, other wrestling sites arguably do better than Wrestling101 but I've told Kam before that W101's potential was wasted from day one and could have been something brilliant if handled correctly.

This isn't something that will make me throw down the lifeboat and paddle to safety, but I'm astounded that the idea passed the draft stage. Change is good but this feels both pointless and, if anything, about four years too late. It will make things either stagnant or worse and that's a shame.