• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Local Versus National News

Ratings
Why do you think local news stories are sent out nationwide? Even stories when police officers in heavily populated areas of the east coast are shown to people in other parts of the country who don't have the same local issues?

If something bad happens in Boston Mass., how would people in Cheyenne Wyoming be affected by that? Why can't we keep news in a certain geographic area.........there?

Zack T

Ratings
126 1
Well because we need to know what problems are being dealt with nationwide if we're to craft national-scale solutions. If you don't ever see national news, then you may not hear about any gun violence crimes and assume that the problem isn't increasing in frequency and intensity for example.

Ratings
I agree with you @Zack T that national-scale issues can only be crafted when there is information out there but as a person that sits down to watch the TV, I'd want to watch what is only specific to my area. All the same, I agree that we have to get information on a wide range of issues, so as to stay updated.

Ratings
I see it as "If it bleeds, it leads". I may be cynical, but I don't think the major networks care too much about informing the public on issues that could help solve those issues.

Ratings
Some local stories are broadcast nationwide, some aren't. Every story in every locality isn't noteworthy for the rest of the country - but if the story is interesting enough, people everywhere are going to want to be made aware of what happened.

Ratings
News outlets know which stories are good for ratings and which are not. You can't stay in business if people don't watch your news programs.