• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Legal Drama unfolding at my work

Zack T

Ratings
116 1
I work as an Administrative Assistant for the Federal Public Defender's office here in Oklahoma (That's USA you dang foreigners - I'm just kidding I love you). Just in case you're not familiar with what that means, we provide legal representation to folks who are charged with federal crimes and can't afford their own attorneys.

We have interesting cases come through reasonably often (One guy almost went to prison for selling turtles illegally in different states, thus making it federal juristiction), but right now we've got a case that has the potential to be a movie someday.

There's a small town in Oklahoma called Ada. Ada kind of operates like it's the wild west, they have their own idea of what the law is and generally enforce it however they want. There's been at least 1 documentary made on the corruption out there.

So anyway, this case in particular focuses on a woman who was murdered back in 1984 in Ada. Police get their guy, throw him in jail. Lots of problems with it, such as evidence going missing, interviews never happening or being improperly conducted, just real shady the whole way through. This guy sits in jail, claiming innocence, and tries for years to get documents sent to him or his attorney. But Ada never sends them anything.

Eventually somehow (I don't know how), the case ends up in our office and is given to one of our attornies, Rob. So they're trying to get the same documents that this guy has been requested for literally 2+ decades now, and even our Attorney General has formally subpoena'd the city of Ada to turn over documents only to be told "Sorry we lost them". Then out of no where in February, a metric crapload of documents is delivered to our attorney Rob.

Now he's following this thread of "Where the hell has all this stuff been for all these years and why wasn't it sent when it was LEGALLY REQUIRED?". The Attorney General is forced to investigate Ada to find out what the hell happened, and told Rob he'd be sending his investigator over there. Rob said we have our own investigator too, why not have them both go out there? Attorney General says that sounds like a good idea.

So this morning, Rob calls up whoever the Ada representative is out there and tells him the investigators will be coming by in the near future. Rob likes to make his calls on speaker phone, so I literally hear this guy tell Rob that they will NOT be cooperating with the investigation, they may as well not even bother coming. So now Rob is filing an emergency motion with the court to show that the city of Ada is willfully and deliberately ignoring federal law, sanctions, and subpeona's and is going to get them a legal smackdown beating of a lifetime.

That's where we currently are. I'll update as more happens (Legal stuff happens kind of slowly)

Ratings
You know legal representation seems interesting and really involving and at times, I feel like pursuing a course in Law. Did you enjoy watching How To Get Away With Murder? Will be watching keenly to see how this unfolds.

Zack T

Ratings
116 1
I haven't watched that. Some legal drama intrigues me, but some just feels like it's all blended together. It has to be exceptional for me to really dig it.

Ratings
Hey @Zack T, that’s quite a turn of events at your workplace and I think this could form a good introduction for a TV series. Are there any some legal drama shows that you can recommend?

Ratings
It would be interesting to find out what those documents reveal. The fact that the city officials were so unwilling to cooperate implies that they have something to hide.

Zack T

Ratings
116 1
I don't normally watch legal dramas so I dunno.

Well a small update is that the City Of Ada attorney pulled a fast one on Rob. The whole 'I won't cooperate with this investigation' thing was just to get Rob to back off from sending our own investigator down there with the Attorney General's investigator. The AG's investigator apparently still got a meeting, just not us.