Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

LeBron James is now a Laker...

scatman

Ratings
Money talks. For 30+million a year, I'd play for Bora Bora.

What exactly is it that stuns you about this? Did he used to trash talk L.A. all the time?

Ratings
Money talks. For 30+million a year, I'd play for Bora Bora.

What exactly is it that stuns you about this? Did he used to trash talk L.A. all the time?
Money does indeed talk. I think it was more about where he's going to retire, and what's best for his family at this point. He already owns homes in Los Angeles, so my thoughts now are that he might have been planning on making this move for a long time.

What stuns me is LeBron being a Laker. It seems so strange to me. Like Captain James T. Kirk leaving the Enterprise. It just felt so weird to me when I heard about it. I was actually speechless, and I'm rarely speechless. LeBron a Laker?? What? Even now, after I've had a bit of time to get used to it, it feels strange to me. Makes sense though, he's bringing the showtime back to LA.

I'm a sports fan, doesn't matter what sport it is. And I'm very passionate about it. Basketball, skiing, ice-skating, baseball, hockey, boxing. I love it all. The Lakers used to be my team years ago, but I began to have a love-hate relationship with Kobe... like I knew him personally or something. I really liked Kobe's game, but disliked his game at the same time.

LeBron being in Cleveland made it seem like things were balanced. Steph Curry on one side of the country, LeBron on the other. Now it seems just a bit one sided.

Ratings
Well, today on As the Basketball Turns people are talking about what has been talked about since Kevin Durant joined the Warriors and that is, the fairness of the super-team. I get it, most people don't want to watch the playoffs, let alone regular season basketball, if they feel like the Warriors are going to win every year, but... the Warriors shouldn't be punished just because they have a bunch of great players. Other people need to step their game up.

A reporter yesterday on one of the sports shows had a great point, she said that there have always been super-teams, but since the attention span these days is so small, people seem to have forgotten about those teams. There was Magic and the Lakers, Kobe and Shaq and the Lakers, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, Larry Bird and the Celtics:clover:... (Boston:heart:), just to name a few.
The basketball commissioner recently said that the Warriors need to increase their dominance. I'm going to have to read an article or two on exactly what Adam Silver is talking about specifically.
LeBron joining the Lakers is making folks go crazy.

Ratings
7.19.2018 On today's episode of As the Basketball Turns we find that the other day there was a lot of talk about the shorts that LeBron wore when he went and looked at the Summer League games. People were saying that the Lakers shorts he came in were not regular Lakers shorts, and so... is that the Lakers' new design? Where did he get the shorts? When are they going to be for sale? because people have tried to get them but they aren't available on the market. Wow. Almost everything that man does has been, and continues to be news. I love it though. He has worked hard in the NBA and for the NBA.

Initially I was shocked by this move LeBron made to LA, but I'm over it. I'm not shocked anymore. Now I'm enjoying it and have been for quite some time. As I wrote in a previous comment, I can not wait to see LeBron and Rajon Rondo on the same team. Rajon Rondo !!!! I can barely contain my excitement about this. This is all too much!! :banana::celebrate::clap

Years ago I was in love with a man who loved, and I do mean loved the Lakers. I haven't spoken to that man in years. This Lakers team is so spectacular, I just might have to call this particular man and discuss this with him... after years of not speaking to him.

As far as other news in As the Basketball Turns, we now know Kawhi Leonard's fate. He's not gonna play for LA, at least not right now, now he is in Toronto. And Toronto traded one of their best players DeMar DeRozan out of Toronto and sent him back to the states. It's reported that neither player is a happy camper. Can you imagine having millions of dollars but being miserable? Ugh. What a mess.

Ratings
7.28.2018 Well, on today's episode of As the Basketball Turns, this past week's talk has been about the team that the Lakers are putting together. Some reporters say that the players that Magic is recruiting for the team are difficult players. One reporter said that this Lakers team is going to be the hardest team to coach in the entire NBA.

I completely disagree.

In my opinion what a lot of these reporters are missing is the fact that Magic and LeBron are putting together a group of players who want to win. They want to win, period. I don't get what's so hard to understand about this. First of all, I keep telling people, and will continue to tell people that any team that LeBron and Rondo are on, that team is going to excel. Period.
They are going to excel. Rondo plays because he wants to win. LeBron plays because he wants to win. These players are serious about basketball, everybody else on the team better fall in line or suffer the consequences.

Magic, LeBron, and Rondo understand each other. They have the same mindset. Magic Johnson was asked in an interview that I watched about 5 or so years ago, why he didn't coach. He said because he wanted to win, and he underestimated how many players did not have that same mindset. Another time he talked about how certain players "played" during the play-offs, they joked around, they hugged, and did elaborate handshakes. Magic said when he was on the court, he wanted none of that. He said he was moody, he said he had an attitude. For him, it was all about winning, not dancing, not shaking hands, not joking around, but winning.

In another corner of As the Basketball Turns, it was reported the other day that a team in China is offering Carmelo Anthony $25 million dollars to come over there and play for their team. They want to make his last years of playing basketball memorable and lucrative. Some reporters said that going to play for a team in China is beneath Anthony... forget about the fact that no one in the NBA is offering him anywhere near that kind of money. Let's see how this continues to play out.

Last edited:
Ratings
7.31.2018 Well, today on As the Basketball Turns it seems as though some folks are upset and peeved at Mr. LeBron James because he did a little impromptu, informal dunk show before one of his son's basketball games.

I mean, there are so many things that I could say about this. First of all, why get mad at a professional basketball player for playing ball? He obviously loves the game. Hello. Maybe being at his son's games reminds him of simpler times, a long, long, long time ago, when he just played for fun. He wanted to do a few dunks before his son's game, so what?

On the other hand, I guess people feel like he took all of the oxygen out of the room just by showing up to the game, and how dare he. In all fairness, he can't help it if he is LeBron James, not his fault at all. And maybe he thought he was doing people a favor by giving them a free show? I don't know. Those same people who criticized his free show would probably be glad to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars to go watch him play. I guess this all plays into the whole 'why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?' type of mindset.

Personally, I would have liked to see him keep his dunk show short, very short, maybe spend about 5 minutes on the court at his son's game, and then sit down. That being said, you can't satisfy everybody. I know it might sound strange for me to say this, but 'poor LeBron'. Imagine having a life that's so closely scrutinized.

Ratings
As a Lakers fan, I had a hard time accepting this fact. He's always been one of those players that you know is just great but I like loyalty and that is something that is lacking with LeBron HARD. After he may or may not have won us some trophies, he will leave again, so really it doesn't mean too much.

Ratings
As a Lakers fan, I had a hard time accepting this fact. He's always been one of those players that you know is just great but I like loyalty and that is something that is lacking with LeBron HARD. After he may or may not have won us some trophies, he will leave again, so really it doesn't mean too much.
I used to be a Lakers fan, but then I became a Warriors fan because Steph Curry won me over. As far as loyalty is concerned, I like what some of the sports commentators have been saying here recently which is that players should not be looked at in a bad light when they choose to do what they feel is best for them. The owners of teams always look out for their own best interests, and will get rid of a player at the drop of a hat. I agree with that... players have to look out for themselves for the most part. That being said, I honestly don't think LeBron is going anywhere. I think Los Angeles is his "forever home." I think he is going to play for a few more years, and then get out of the league. I'm pretty sure that he is going to retire in L.A.