Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Learning a language to travel

Jordaci

We are thinking of going to Paris next year. My folks have always wanted to go. I took 4 years of French in school but that was years ago. Do you think I should do a brush up course or are people helpful?

Greylien

I have always heard that you at least should know basic words and sayings. Like "How do you get to________(Insert location) Or thank you, etc..... It shows the natives that you respect them enough to at least try.

lymmo

The last time I was in a French class was 20 years ago, and I've gotten rusty over time. A brush-up course would be helpful, combined with YouTube tutorials. Enjoy Paris when that time comes!

If you plan to stick to the popular tourist areas in Paris, then it's likely there will be plenty of English speakers around. Then again, since you've already had some significant language instruction, I bet you can pick it up again pretty easily. Was it difficult to learn French? I've tried learning Spanish a couple of times and never could get beyond the very basics. My nephew has mastered more Spanish than I have just by watching Dora the Explorer.

Betts

Ha ha Dora. I say go ahead and take a refresher. Wouldn't it be great to be able to talk a bit to people in their native language? Good luck relearning and have so much fun.