Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Last Christmas

Boomer

This is okay if you're in a romcom mood. The story has a twist in roughly the last third that I really wish wasn't there. Good chemistry between the two leads at least, and there's plenty of George Michael songs.

ShadowEdge

I thought it was overly long for the story it told and I expected more funny moments like you'd normally see in a romcom. Overall, it seemed like a better fit for the Hallmark Channel than the theater. As much as I adore Emma Thompson, I wasn't into the script she co-authored with Bryony Kimmings.

@Boomer, I agree with you about the chemistry between Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding. The casting director made a good pairing with those two.

headrush

Overall, it seemed like a better fit for the Hallmark Channel than the theater. As much as I adore Emma Thompson, I wasn't into the script she co-authored with Bryony Kimmings.
I agree that this had some of that Hallmark clunkiness. The story would have worked better as a predictable romance between cultures, classes, and/or personalities. Hated that plot "twist"!

ShadowEdge

**spoiler in my reply**
Hated that plot "twist"!
Good grief, yes! It ruined the whole thing. I keep hearing how clever the plot twist was and how unique it was for a romcom. Well, in my opinion, that's because this movie was more like a drama than a romcom and that twist wasn't even original - hello, Sixth Sense.

See, now it probably sounds like I hated the whole movie and I didn't. It wasn't terrible. I wouldn't watch it again either.

Rambler

This was pretty dumb. The cast was charming, though. Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding look good together, and Michelle Yeoh's character and story were interesting.

whaleshark

I hated the plot surprise! I wish it stayed run-of-the-mill romantic or if the surprise is really that important, turn the movie into a drama with a slightly creepy edge.