Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Ladders Rd 1 #1: Alberto vs Christian / McMahons vs Austin

Better match?

• Alberto Del Rio vs Christian

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Vince & Shane McMahon vs Steve Austin

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmy Redman

Career validation for Christian, or "Dont cross the boss"?

World Heavyweight Title Ladder Match - Extreme Rules 2011
Christian vs Alberto Del Rio

[video=youtube;GVwkOgJ76kU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVwkOgJ76kU[/video]

Two-on-One Handicap Ladder Match for 100% Ownership of WWF - King of the Ring 1999
Vince & Shane McMahon vs Steve Austin

[video=youtube;Ivw33CrpwSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivw33CrpwSA[/video]

Chris2K

Went with Austin vs. McMahons, it may have not had the bigger bumps but it had about 2000% more significance.

Magic

The first apple tree.
Forum Leader
Subscriber
I'm a big fan of the Christian match, but the Austin/Mcmahons is up there with some of my favoruites moments from my childhood.

Maxximus

Chaotic Good
Forum Leader
Subscriber
Voted Alberto Del Rio vs Christian because I know how to let go of the past.

Jimmy Redman

Watched Austin vs McMahons. Enjoyed it a lot actually, it was a good Attitude Era romp complete with pre-match promo and swerve, weapons, more weapons, table bumps and a screwy finish.

Both McMahons were really good in this. Vince is so great at looking like a guy who has had no professional training taking an ass beating in a wrestling ring. Mainly because he IS a guy with no professional training taking an ass beating in a wrestling ring. I heard Referee Jim Korderas say the other day that refs dont get extensive bump training because they shouldnt look like they know how to bump, and its the same for Vince. He's an insane evil rich guy who is insane enough to get in the ring and try and fight a real wrestler. He's seen enough wrestling to know what he's getting into, but he doesnt physically know how to bump or do moves. He looks EXACTLY as awkward as he should.

So essentially my main issue with Shane in the ring is when he tries too hard to be a wrestler. When he's being a younger Vince - another insane rich guy who wants to fight with the real wrestlers, only he's younger and much more willing to jump off things - it works. It is only when he does things like out-wrestles Kurt Angle on the mat or some stupid ass sh*t that he's unbearable. He just needs to understand his role. But he was good here because there was none of that rubbish. He was just Vince Jr. taking a beating. The electric chair spot was my favourite part of the match, just for how perfect it was for the bumbling McMahons in their punch-drunk state to think it was a good idea. For all his ego at other times, Vince shows ass like few people in the business can.

Structurally I think that because they had the screwy briefcase finish it meant that they couldnt actually climb the ladder much at all before the finish, which made for a refreshing change of pace for a ladder match and actually made a lot of sense too. Again, these goofs are untrained assholes, they shouldnt be able to climb the ladder with any speed or regularity. And Austin just wanted to beat them unconscious before he tried winning the match.

Question for those who saw this in 1999, was the backstage stuff post-match part of the actual PPV broadcast? I assume so, because where else would it have come from, but I thought that was cool as all get out. If some utter BS happened in the main event finish like that, the natural reaction (as a broadcaster/director I mean) would be to follow them backstage and get their reactions and try to find out what was going on. They should do stuff like that more.

Having said all that, my vote is still with Alberto/Christian. I thought it was a Top 5 match in a very strong year, one of the best one-on-one ladder matches I've seen, and Christian winning was amazing to me and something I could experience live the same way that others experienced Austin/McMahon live.

Last edited: