Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Journalism Degrees

Classified

Can anyone tell me why professional writers need a journalism degree to make the big bucks?

It seems that if an employer wants someone to write in a certain style, they can just ask the applicant a series pertinent questions, submit published writing samples and ask for proof of how long they have been writing.

It seems to me that in a case like this, tenure in the craft should trump conventional schooling. I'm not some bitter wash-out, but in 2019 I truly believe that the conventional educational system is out-dated and irrelevant in most cases, including the business of journalism.

whaleshark

Yeah, the degree probably helps speed up getting call-backs. But I don't see how it's crucial for what comes after getting hired. Also, there is more identical reporting among news sites, and more of these sites are closing or downsizing. Automation is the new reporter?

Rambler

Automation or story recycling will not replace a journalist's creative ideas and writing.

I do question what journalism degree programs really do besides offer networking.

Zack T

Chris Jericho has a degree in Journalism. I also considered getting one, once upon a time.

I didn't investigate it fully, but I believe Journalism degree courses offer you education on how to actually do research, how to actually write the paper in ways that match expected formatting and are also readable, and yes probably also some networking and whatnot.

Writing seems like one of those fields that you may stop and wonder, why does someone need a degree to do this when they can just pick up a pen and write? While I think that's true, I think the point of the classes is to help polish and refine folks who are looking to do that type of work. The bottom line is the more you do something (Practice), the better you get at it. So if you're writing papers in college, that just gives you more practice and hopefully helps make you better than someone who's not doing that.

TynBox

Good points Zack. I think it's going to be slowly phased out with traditional education on the college level because it's just too expensive considering the salary you would be making. Between what Zack and Classified mentioned, proof of how long you have been writing will show people why you are as good as you can prove.

Research skills help a great deal as well.