Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Joining a book club

didge

Last year, I kept wondering about the whole point of a book club. However, towards the end of last month, I started looking at it as a way to read more and get the much-needed push to finish a book quickly. Do you belong to a book club and if so, how beneficial has it been?

Ogmore

I think it would feel too much like schooling, but my girl belongs to one and she loves it. She says it encourages her to read books that she wouldn't have considered otherwise. She's made many close friends through the group too.

didge

Yes, there is also the social aspect to it, but I wouldn't opt for the discussions where you have to be physically present. I think that interacting with fellow readers broadens the scope and instils discipline.

Greylien

...........my girl belongs to one and she loves it. She's made many close friends through the group too.
That's a very good thing. Two good things, actually. What a pleasant way for a young girl to meet a suitable "suiter", if you will. Gives me hope for the next generations coming up the ranks.

coleman

You know we all thought that the reading culture was gone, but then young people are taking up the challenge and making a mark. I have set a yearly target of 50 books this year and do agree that a book club can be of great help.

Boomer

I don't think I could last at a book club. Even when I'm reading for fun, I either get obsessed and read the book overnight – or get through maybe a few pages a week.

Dust and Rust

I think it's a good thing to keep active because it has that old school quality about it. Sometimes, things are worth keeping around because they really are useful. Look at it like the original social media experience.

coleman

I don't think I could last at a book club. Even when I'm reading for fun, I either get obsessed and read the book overnight – or get through maybe a few pages a week.
It took a lot of convincing for me to join one. I belong to one where discussions take place online. It is more tasking when it becomes mandatory to meet at a physical location.

etz

I can see how it might be a good thing for some people, especially in regards to forcing you out of your comfort zone with what you read. But, it's very much not for me. I can spout pretentious, pseudo-intellectual bullshit with the best of them if I really have to (by which I, of course, mean their deep and meaningful insight into the mind of the creative and the unique paradigm their world building presents to the reader...) , but I can't abide being made to listen to it from other people. I had quite enough of that in tertiary education, thanks...