Latest
  • Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Is yoga really effective?

Ratings
It's a thing getting increasingly popular among my coworkers, especially the female ones. They said that it is a simple sport which is as effective as other sports. I know that some are looking to lose weight, some are looking to fix their back problems, while others just tag along with their friends. I wonder if it's really as simple but effective as the claims are, though. Is any of you doing yoga?

The Icon

Ratings
Yoga, like any exercises, is good when done right, and in moderation. It was all the rage in the 80s when I was a teenager. Guess it's making a comeback.

deathlock

Well said, The Icon. I look at yoga as a light stretching and strength training. It's efficient because you don't actually need complicated tools to practice. My younger sister likes to do it at home while watching the YouTube tutorials and she rarely gets sick. It all depends on your training plan and discipline.

Ratings
I would call it anything but simple and easy. Yoga, when done properly, is a discipline that requires strength, balance and concentration. Some of the poses are quite difficult. It is good for the body and soul!

All I know about yoga (and I could be wrong) is that it's all about meditation and concentration. Besides, I could never cross my legs like that. As for whether or not it works, would depend on why anyone is doing yoga, in the first place.

LKC

Yoga is effective for some things but I don't think it's quite the "cure all" people claim it is. I could be wrong about that but it just seems to be one of those trendy things to do that don't always live up to all of its promises. Sort of like chiropractors.

Ratings
Having tried yoga, I wouldn't call it a simple sport. To hold those postures correctly and for a specific amount of time takes skill and endurance. I have friends who have taken yoga and increased their fitness level and increased their flexibility. Anything that gets a person moving is good.

Ratings
Yoga is effective for some things but I don't think it's quite the "cure all" people claim it is. I could be wrong about that but it just seems to be one of those trendy things to do that don't always live up to all of its promises. Sort of like chiropractors.
I can see that you have never been to a chiropractor LKC. I suppose there are ones out there that don't do their job properly but the ones I have been to sure did help put me back together after a major car accident, a fall down the steps and having a twisted pelvis. Yoga is not a passing trend. Yoga is simply a way to discipline your body and your mind. It works.

Ratings
Yoga is simply a way to discipline your body and your mind.
I like that. To me, the physical aspects of yoga include stretching of muscles and strengthening them at the same time. One of the things that happens as we age is that we lose flexibility and that causes all sorts of aches and pains. By maintaining strength and flexibility, we may not slow down the aging process, but at least we can slow it down.

planetdoom

Ratings
What an experience! Tried it once and it's a lot harder than it looks. The muscles burning and stretching while trying to hold a position is really intense. Those people who can do it and make it look effortless are amazing.

Kira

Ratings
@planetdoom, I did a relaxing palates/yoga class for several months. After the first class, I thought that I hadn't done anything. The next morning I could barely get out of bed. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Ratings
I think yoga is great for overall flexibility, but I think also weight bearing exercise, and aerobic exercise are needed to maintain good overall fitness and health.

Yoga does seem to be pursued mainly by women - I wonder why men don't like it more? Possibly because men tend to be encouraged to engage in more active sports and team games.

Ratings
There were some men in my yoga class and I know men today that take yoga. I think most are too macho to admit yoga is hard. I always get a laugh from the men that do one class and never come back.