• Welcome!

We're a UK based community of cult entertainment fans - so whether you're into WWE, Marvel, DC, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more - join us!

It's free to register, so why not sign up and discuss whatever you're into...

Increasing Flexibility

Ratings
Although I exercise and stretch frequently, I am quite rigid. For example, I can't touch my toes without bending my knees. How is it that some people are able to maintain a high level of flexibility without practising much? Is it due to genetic factors? Also, what are some effective ways to increase the flexibility of our joints and muscles?

Ratings
I think a lot of it has to do with genetics. Some people are born with longer muscles and some people are more stumpy/stocky. I'm not sure how to phrase it exactly. I think the activities we engage in as a kid also determine our abilities as we age. The only way to increase your flexibility is to keep at it I guess.

Ratings
Genetics, age as well as gender are important factors when looking at the range of motion. Flexibility will definitely vary from one person to the next, because of differences in muscle length. Exercise/stertching can actually increase flexibility in some joints.

Last edited:
Ratings
It's definitely part genetics but also lots of stretching exercises. Your muscles can definitely get stretched by doing the right exercises, but there is certainly a limit to it for everybody.